Jax - which one, arm pen, mag pen, atk spd?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

hellokevin

04-09-2010

I'm still learning Jax and still figuring out which build would work for me from reading all of these guides everywhere. My confusion comes to runes. Every guide gives a different route; for marks it's either armor penetration for the damage, magic penetration because they say 3/4 of his skills are magic, or attack speed since he is needed to deliver heavy amounts of damage fast.

I know that it's about my style of play when I choose, but I want to hear from you guys what YOU think is best for Jax and why. Right now because I'm so undecided, my rune page is half atk speed half armor penetration.

Thanks for any help!

xahhfink6

04-09-2010

I would say Armor Pen on a Physical build, Mpen on a mixed build, and attack speed on an Ap build...

Or something like that

GuyGin

04-09-2010

AS has the most benefit for his ult, I think.

Mpen will give you slightly more burst with leap / empower.
Arpen will give you more damage on reg white hits.

I feel like AS is his best stat, but I'm not a good jax player.

xahhfink6

04-09-2010

Yeah, its actually kind of mixed... attack damage still deals a lot of magic damage with his leap + empower (although he usually has less attack speed, so the ult isnt as prevalent) which is why armor pen may be most useful on a physical jax... other than that I would agree attack speed, because even a fully AP Jax still does a lot of auto-attacks and deals physical damage with his lichbane

Ethos

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-09-2010

Armor Pen or attack speed Marks, Dodge Seals and either MP5/Level glyphs, Magic resist or attack speed ones. For quints you can go either Armor pen, Dodge, flat HP, movement speed or attack speed. The popular one would be flat HP, because it's universally effective. I've also seen people use Magic pen glyphs/quints for the extra offensive edge, but it really caters to your playstyle.

Ebonclaw

04-09-2010

AS is quite good for Jax, especially if you go AD or hybrid. If you go pure AP build, then MPen would finally be worth it, otherwise your damage is too divided to benefit properly.

Currently I run AD/level runes with him, which works pretty well, each Mark acts like an AD Mark, AND a HP/level Mark. Maybe not quite as good as APen, but it's still good passive stacking of damage and HP, allowing me to build a Stark's and not gimp myself because I'm not stacking other stats.

junster

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-09-2010

depends what items you're going to buy on him..

currently AP isn't as viable compared to the jax from a few days ago.

attack speed runes helps you more early on, armor pen will help you more later.

I go armor penn but thats preference.

Johnny Napalm

Recruiter

04-10-2010

ArPen. Attack Speed is 30x better on paper than it is in game.

99% of the time you're in melee range as Jax, your target will be trying to get away from you - even melee characters hate to try to slug it out with him. So, since your attacks will be broken up by chasing, AS has a severely diminished effect, even on a snared opponent. Sure, AS is amazing for creeping and farming - but you're not going to do that much of it.

By the time you get to the point in the game where targets won't/can't run from you, you'll already have alot going for you. T2/3 Ulti, Guinsoo's, Stark's, Malady (ugh), hell - anything you have with +AS and Jax's Ulti can quickly bring your AS up to the 2.49999 limit, rendering those precious rune slots wasted.

AS is amazing for pubstomps. But if you're playing against smart opponents, Armour Penetration is the only way to go.

Ebonclaw

04-10-2010

Have you even played Jax? Yes, with his ulti and a Rageblade, it's easy to itemize to get near 2.5 AS, in the long term.

In the short term, AS will actually increase your DPS more than any other stat will, for the money. Yes, people -often- run from you, but if you aren't faster than them, and you don't know how to use Leap Strike and Counter Strike to maintain melee range, then maybe you shouldn't be playing Jax - let alone giving advice on him.