Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Not sure if it goes here:Resolution advantage?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.
06-26-2011

I just upgraded from a 1440*900 to a 1920*1080.

The extra screen provided a linear 1:1 increase in area displayed.

How is this at all fair to people playing on laptops or smaller desktop monitors.

boourns

UI Designer

06-27-2011

Worry not! We show the exact same amount of the map in all resolutions, what you see is just higher resolution so you can see more detail. You should not get a gameplay advantage from having a bigger monitor/higher resolution. You can check it out for yourself by changing the game resolution. At most you can derive some small advantage by shrinking your UI smaller and getting slightly better accuracy on skillshots, etc.

Ponies Gonna Pwn

Recruiter

06-27-2011

Quote:
HulkingBrute:
I just upgraded from a 1440*900 to a 1920*1080.

The extra screen provided a linear 1:1 increase in area displayed.

How is this at all fair to people playing on laptops or smaller desktop monitors.

As far as I can tell the only differences in game units displayed appear between aspect ratios, not resolutions.

ChaosBloodterfly

06-27-2011

Those with terrible GPUs suffer frame lag. This isn't fair. Unfortunately, that's how life is.

But on the topic of screen resolutions, above is correct.

got321321

06-27-2011

yea large screen litterally cover 1/2 of the map. but it's like that since 2009.

and almost 70% of players have a large screen or laptop, so if you fix it, expect MASSIVE whine for at least 3Months in a row.

06-27-2011

Quote:
boourns:
Worry not! We show the exact same amount of the map in all resolutions, what you see is just higher resolution so you can see more detail. You should not get a gameplay advantage from having a bigger monitor/higher resolution. You can check it out for yourself by changing the game resolution. At most you can derive some small advantage by shrinking your UI smaller and getting slightly better accuracy on skillshots, etc.

OP is probably referring to the aspect ratios, which actually do display more or less information.

z0rs

Recruiter

06-28-2011

Quote:
boourns:

This is not exactly true, unless you've made changes in the last few months.

I play on a wonky resolution because it DOES let me see more screen on the sides. (not a ton, but about the same game distance as the thickness of a ward on each side of the screen [not the size of the sight, just the ward itself])

EDIT: I guess I'm talking about aspect ratios, too.

06-28-2011

Quote:
boourns:

Did you just lie and change topics?

I had a particular landmark at the edge of my screen right before I moved the reso UP.
After the increase, I could see past it.

But w/e keep peddling your misinformation.

Jielhar

06-28-2011

Quote:
Ponies Gonna Pwn:
As far as I can tell the only differences in game units displayed appear between aspect ratios, not resolutions.

I LOVE your Summoner name

boourns

UI Designer

06-28-2011

If you're changing aspect ratio then clearly you see different amounts of the map, but I'm pretty sure the field of view horizontally or vertically is explicitly set to be the same no matter your resolution. We'd probably like to make the difference as small as practical, but it obviously cannot be zero.

If you want to post some screen caps, I can look into it some more. I don't think it's the 1:1 increase you talk about in the OP.