Shen: Carry LIEK A BAWSS

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BardOfXiix

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-09-2010

Shen: Carry LIEK A BAWSS

Shen is possibly the most awesome character ever. Not only can he do ANYTHING, he can actually do EVERYTHING AT ONCE.
With the right setup, you can make Shen a beast. He値l push towers, rape enemies, tank, support, and disable, all in one.
If you致e read my other build, on Kennen, you値l see that I知 a huge fan of leviathan. We池e gonna stick with that trend.
I always always always start with leviathan on Shen. For the rest, you can go with AP, AD, or tankage, but always pick up that first leviathan.
WHY?
Leviathan makes you a mini-tank for the cost of 1.2k and an item slot. As Shen, you値l be in the rough-創-tumble of fights constantly. You値l really want to have something that値l give you a decent amount of survival without having to break the bank. Leviathan gets scary with 20 stacks15% damage reduction. If you play your cards right, you値l almost always get there.
So now that you can survive almost anything, what do you want to do? Well, that depends on how the rest of your team is doing. Usually, you can guess what you値l have to do just from the selection screen, but sometimes you could be surprised. Especially if you池e playing with me. What if the Ezreal you expect to stack AP goes for damage instead? As Shen, you池e okay. Your Vorpal Blade does enough damage so that if your team is lacking AP and the enemy stacks defense, you can slap on a Zhonya痴 Ring, Soulstealer, and a few more goodies and pick up the slack while your opponents wonder how you hit so hard.
Let痴 break it down, starting from the top: Summoner Spells.
I take Heal and Exhaust. Some people say heal is a noob spell, I just DGAF 粗m. It痴 saved me more times than I care to count, and allowed me to get a lot of critical kills or tower shots. You can replace it with Ignite if you so desire. Exhaust, however, is almost indispensable. You値l need it more for blinding than for catching people, but it痴 good for both容specially early ganks. Combine it with your taunt and you値l be turning the tables in almost every fight.
Masteries are your own deal. I really don稚 change them from fight to fight. Set 粗m up however you like. I知 not going to dictate how to do this to you like you池e a brainless zombie; the main thing that I like to see is improvisation. It痴 what Shen痴 best at (and what you should be good at if you池e looking to play this guy as an amazing carry).

Now, to skills. You致e got 3 main ones and your ult. I usually go q > e > r > w. Screw feint, I wouldn稚 really miss it except for blocking the occasional Ryze spike, Ashe arrow, Ezreal bolt, or Karthos Req. I very rarely use it, and it doesn稚 seem to help me much to get it early. If you池e going against a good Sivir or something I could see it helping, but 99% of the time you値l be using your dash to escape stuff so you really won稚 need a blocking spell.
SHADOW DASH IS YOUR BEST SKILL. USE IT LOTS. I honestly can稚 stress this enough. If a Shen is doing poorly in a game, I値l promise you he痴 using dash wrong. If you use it correctly, you really can稚 fail at Shen. This skill causes almost as much rage as your ult擁f people knew when I used it every time I used it, it would cause exponentially more. First, it痴 an excellent escape or rundown. It gives you a quick burst of speed. Priceless. Second, it痴 great for its main function葉aunting. This can be used it so many situations. Say a Ryze has caught one of your DPS squishies. Taunt Ryze before he can finish off his combo and you値l save a life (usually). Need to catch someone? If you successfully taunt them, not only will you be right next to them but they値l stop, turn around, and fight you. Exhaust them for ultimate lols. Need to get back to your tower in a hurry? It allows for late boots (although I don稚 recommend it) and lets you get around the map for ganks and saves even when your ultimate is down. Can稚 stress enough how much you should use this.
Your Vorpal Blade is your main weapon. Use this for last hits, use it for harass, use it for everything. If it痴 off cooldown and you池e near something, you aren稚 using it enough. It lets you heal when you beat people up AND does damage. It痴 the way Shen can creep deny, stand up to ranged characters, and stay alive in mass fights. Basically, throw this around as much as possible.
Stand as One is one of the most awesome spectacular things that anyone has ever had ever. This is your major support skill. You use this to save hurt teammates in fights, to get back to your lane quickly, AND to GTFO when a push goes wrong. Just pop this on another player and you値l survive usually. It痴 got a few problems, though. If you get stunned while casting it, you値l fail to teleport. It happens, but most of the time this is a life saver.
Feint sucks ****. It exists to burn away your energy. Use it only to block damage from obvious incoming mass punishment (Ryze spike, Ashe arrow, Ezreal bolt, Karthos ult, etc). If this IS on cooldown and all of your other skills AREN探, something is WRONG.

Now, to your options.
As a ninja, you池e flat out awesome. Your passive allows you to deal bonus damage based on your maximum health. Yes, that means that Shen can actually do more damage from stacking health. It痴 not the best way to improve your dps, but it means that as a tank, you aren稚 just a worthless meatshield who wades into combat and stands still. Plus, you池e a ****ing ninja. You can do whatever you want.

The first thing I ever tried with Shen was an AP build. This is great if you池e very aware about your teammates and you池e playing with 2 or more heavy punishment characters (Ezreal, Ryze, Ashe, Kar****, you know who I知 talking about by now). Your Feint might actually do some good here. Too bad you should still never ever use it. Put it in a dark box and forget about it. Your two benefits from stacking AP are:

Nobody expects Shen to stack AP.

You have a good enough base attack speed and attack damage to maintain physical DPS

Your cooldown on Vorpal Blade is super short and the damage scales decently enough so that you can get some nice shots in with it.

You can save people (and escape) LIEK A BAWSS with Stand as One
As strange and counter-intuitive as this is, this build actually works pretty well. It痴 much more support heavy, but you can drag people down from behind (especially squishies) with much greater ease than any of the other builds since Vorpal Blade is a finishing move, of sorts.
Open with Leviathan and Boots of Speed, then get a soulstealer ASAP. These will be the cornerstones of your build. From there, get Zhonya痴 Ring. This is the single strongest item for a caster, IDGAF what others say. After that, get Rylai痴 or Void Staff or anything that adds mass AP. I prefer Rylai痴 because of the slow effect擁t stacks well with Vorpal Blade when you池e trying to drag down squishies from behind.
With this build, you値l want to play a more defensive Shen, more harass and less commitment. Once you致e poked at the opponents a little and you have some dps support, don稚 be afraid to jump in there. Be extra conscious of your teammates because of your additional ability to pull their chestnuts out of the fire. This is your main purpose as an AP stacker. Use this skill to the best of your ability. Still use taunt more than anything else to keep the heat off of your squishies, but be conscious to keep 50 energy with you at all times for split-second saves.

Another good strategy with Shen is to go attack speed. I知 not a fan of AD personally; I feel like this is a really strong all around build, for ganks and towers. Start with Leviathan, of course, and then get boots of speed. Same basic start. This time, pick up a zeal, grab a Stark痴 and hit the road. If you find you need MORE attack speed, don稚 be shy耀tack on zeals. If you get tons of extra money, kick 粗m up to Phantoms. This build may be insanely simplistic, but it works like a charm. You値l wade into combat and flat-out-butcher your enemies. This is a close-and-personal style; you lead with Vorpal, then taunt and bash the hell out of 粗m. If they start running and taunt is still down, exhaust, chase, taunt. Be less concerned about spamming Vorpal than about just smacking everything around you. With this build, saves are always nice, but they池e not a priority. Your ult will be saved mostly for escaping ganks while you池e pushing. And push you will. This setup is amazing for taking down towers in nearly no time. Shen has high base damage; with all the attack speed, he値l cut through almost anything like a hot knife through your mother.

Then there痴 the ever-popular Shen tank macro. Most people start with warmogsI figure get that AFTER the leviathan so you can get to 20 stacks faster. Sometimes, I don稚 even get a warmogs at all. If I知 feeling particularly bold, or the team is particularly caster heavy, I値l start with a leviathan, then get Force of Nature, boots, and then a Guardian Angel. At this point, they池e nearly helpless. Add a banshee if they REALLY have no melee dps; if they have some, consider warmogs or another more balanced defensive item. If you池e playing Eve, banshee is an amazing item. Not only will it help out in general against everyone, but it値l usually block Eve痴 opening move, canceling the stun AND the massive damage from the first blow. Definitely worth the consideration if you池e getting slammed by an invisible character勇ve or Shaco.
With this build, you値l be attacking less and spamming skills more, similar to the AP Shen we discussed earlier. You値l be auto-attacking, of course, but it won稚 really matter what you hit. You池e just there to cause mayhem. Keep your eyes out for casters to taunt and for teammates who look like they might need a quick save. Your job is to wade in and soak up all the damage, but you still won稚 use Feint. Worthless skill is worthless. Keep your energy for something important.

So go out there, have fun, and above all IMPROVIZE. I don稚 want to make any more brainless players who think 塗mm, they have Ryze, Ezreal, Veigar, an AP Cho, and Annie. I知 gonna stick to my 100% damage build and TOTALLY NOT GET A FORCE OF NATURE AND RENDER THEIR ENTIRE TEAM HARMLESS. You致e gotta react to the game more than anything else. I played against a Mundo who bought a Force of Nature and a Banshee against an all AD team. So please: be smart, improvise, take my ideas and twist them, run with them, go wild.

Pathard

04-09-2010

Nice guide! This is basically what I do with Shen every time I play him. Leviathan is a must.. unless your failing miserably. If that's the case save up for a Warmog's first, or finally grab that Leviathan should the tides start to turn by mid-game.

Keep up the good work, and here's a +1 for you! ...not sure why people thumbed you down.

Melonyan

04-09-2010

You should maybe work on the formatting a bit, because as it is this just looks like a huge mess and I don't even feel like reading it.

BardOfXiix

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonyan View Post
You should maybe work on the formatting a bit, because as it is this just looks like a huge mess and I don't even feel like reading it.
what would you suggest? how would you change it to make it more visually appealing?

Ashkelon

04-09-2010

Breaking it into specific sections with headers for each section would improve readability greatly. Like Gear:, Ability Order:, Runes:, etc. That would make it much easier for readers to jump into the guide, and for if they needed to refer to it again later.

Just look to many other guides in the list of guides, many of them use formats that are very easy on the reader.

Hope this helps.

BardOfXiix

04-10-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashkelon View Post
Breaking it into specific sections with headers for each section would improve readability greatly. Like Gear:, Ability Order:, Runes:, etc. That would make it much easier for readers to jump into the guide, and for if they needed to refer to it again later.

Just look to many other guides in the list of guides, many of them use formats that are very easy on the reader.

Hope this helps.
Alright, I'll get on that tonight thanks for the tip. I'll also update my Kennen guide for that as well.

mornaval

04-10-2010

Fortunately if you actually care about the information, like me, and read the post for the valuable input, like a smart person, you'll get a lot out of this guide. Or you can demand extensive formatting before you read a post since being pretentious is cooler.

highfive melonyan

Great post Bardofxiix, nothing wrong with the flow of it at all. The lack of Shen guides compared to other champions makes any bit of information valuable to anyone new like myself. I do enjoy trial & error but I also prefer to prevent losses as much as possible for my pub scrubs.

shawster

04-10-2010

wall of text hits you for 9001

Leirkov

04-10-2010

I agree, spacing it out and making it more visually appealing for the lazy ****s these days would probably help.

However, the way you put this is very well written and I enjoyed reading it. *e-five*

Arthas Menethil

04-11-2010

It messy as hell, but this guide helped me a lot. thumbs up.