[Champion Concept] Tune 傍he Ocean's Child [New casting mechanic]

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AhhItsMancannon

06-26-2011

------------------------------------------------------------------
Champion Concept: Tune – The Ocean’s Child
------------------------------------------------------------------

TL;DR:

• Super short: I would recommend skimming “R.” Its casting method is a new mechanic.
  • Kind of short: Just read the “description” for each of the skills, skip “notes” and “rationale” (and skip lore stuff).

Description
Tune is a water based mage. He is a young boy (around Annie’s age) with blonde hair and deep blue eyes.

Skillset:

Quote:
R: Mighty Surge

• Skill Type – Cursor based skillshot that puts out continuous damage at cursor location while left click is held down (cursor can be moved to target different locations during spell). If left click is released Tune can move, attack, and cast spells normally. Left click can then be held down again and the ultimate can be resumed.
  • Damage – Total base damage potential: [300/480/660] – AP Ratio: [1.5] – Damage per second potential [100/160/220] + [AP * 0.5]
  • Mana Cost – [160]
  • Cooldown – [100/85/70] seconds
  • Range – [900] AoE Radius: [100]
  • Duration – [3 to 9] seconds depending on use
  • Perks – Enemy champions taking damage have movement speed and attack and magic damage output reduced by [40/50/60%]

------------------------------------
  • Description – Upon activation left clicking causes a massive jet of water to shoot from Tune to your cursor location. You can hold and move the cursor to spray the water over different locations (damaging, slowing, and reducing the damage of all enemies hit). Releasing left click allows you to move and cast other spells freely. Upon activation you are given 99 stacks of a debuff called “water pressure” which decay at 11 stacks/second while not casting and 33 stacks/second while casting. Once the stacks run out you can no longer channel the ability and its cooldown begins.

• Notes – The setup of this mechanic should allow you to move and cast other spells (even with smart casting on) while you aren’t channeling Mighty Surge with left click.
    Action Task List (while might surge is activated):
    • Left Click: Cast Might Surge on target location
    • Right Click: Move (surge is not channeling)
    • Spell + Left Click: Cast Spell
    • Spell + Quick Cast: Cast Spell (if left click isn’t held down)
    The reason for implementing the debuff decay as the mechanism for casting this is it allows for the player to do other actions while casting Mighty Surge if appropriate, but still somewhat penalizes them unless they channel for the entire debuff duration. If Tune casts “R” and channels Mighty Surge the entire time, the debuff stacks will last for 3 seconds, if Tune never channels Mighty Surge the debuff stacks will last 9 seconds. Also if you are silenced “Water pressure” will decay normally and you can cast again once the silence wears off. And if your cursor is outside of the range when you try to channel it will still cast, just to the nearest point still in range. Also I use 99 stacks because it evenly is divided by 11 and 33 and triple digits aren’t needed for debuff/buff bar (and still allows for a high degree of casting/not casting precision). The damage reduction only lasts as long as the cursor is over the champion (so you can only suppress one champion's damage/movement speed at a time). As far as trying to select something rather than damaging it during the spell duration, selection can be temporarily bound to control or shift left click (also while left click is being held down, the target information can be shown).

• Rationale – I like the concept of this mechanic because it seems unique and fresh but still intuitive and fun to use. Also I’ve never really liked channeling abilities because it is so easy to cancel them (either on accident or because of CC). I also like the fact that this mechanic allows for of a high degree of subtle utility (meaning Tune can have a high skill cap but still be easy to play) especially during team fights; if you use Mighty Surge “defensively”—by casting it on the enemy champions dealing lots of damage—you can greatly decrease the amount of damage your team takes and still deal a lot of damage yourself. So there is a lot of strategy/skill in targeting.

I hope all that made sense O.o
Quote:
E: Tidal Wave

• Skill Type – Line Skillshot (animation/damage travels from the end of line back to Tune.)
  • Damage – Base: [90/135/180/235/280] – AP Ratio: [0.75]
  • Mana Cost – [80/100/120/140/160]
  • Cooldown – [15/14/13/12/11] seconds
  • Range – [1000]
  • Skill Width – [300]

• Description – Creates a Tidal wave tune that rushes towards Tune knocking all enemies caught in its path a small distance (100 units) towards Tune and damaging them.

• Notes – After the 0.2 second cast animation An animation of a wave will build up at the end of the skill shot’s range for 0.4 seconds and then the wave will rush towards Tune for 0.4 seconds. This skill is dodge-able but still somewhat difficult to get away from.

• Rationale – This skill is designed to synergize with “Q” because if you land the tidal wave the knock up time and knock forward from range 1000 to range 900 should allow you to walk the 200 units needed to get within the “Q” range of 700. It also synergizes well with “R,” because if the enemy champion is closer that means you will be able to get more of the “R” damage off.
Quote:
W: Water Slide

• Skill Type – Line Skillshot
  • Damage – None
  • Mana Cost – [115/130/145/160/170]
  • Cooldown – [45/40/35/30/25] seconds
  • Range – [500/550/600/650/700]
  • Skill Width – [200]
  • Perks – Enemy champions are forced to move in whatever direction they were previously moving for .5 seconds if they enter the ground covered by “Water Slide.” Spells cast by Tune within 3.5 seconds of using Water Slide cost [40/45/50/55/60%] less mana.

• Description – Tune conjures a puddle in the direction of the skillshot (the puddle’s width = “Skill Width,” and its length = “Range”) and slides to the end of it at 700 movement speed. If enemy champions enter (or are already inside) Water Slide’s puddle they are forced to continue moving in whatever direction they were moving for .5 seconds (think of enemy champions “slipping”). Spells cast within 3.5 seconds of using Water Slide cost 60% less mana.

• Notes – No it will NOT allow you to jump over walls. If you cast through a wall, you will slide as far as the skill shot's range or until you encounter a wall (but the water area will be full size regardless of walls). This ability was conceptualized as a “Slip ‘n Slide” and I would have called it that but I feel like that would get into copyright troubles O.o. If an enemy champion was originally standing still in the puddle, the forced movement debuff will be applied upon their first movement (as long as the puddle is still there). After a champion has been affected by Water Slide once they can’t be affected by the same spell puddle again. Although I am not 100% decided on this, I think enemy champion spells that have a channel will not be able to be cast while an enemy champion is sliding for the .5 seconds of forced movement (but other spells, including casting time spells will be able to be cast—I kind of don’t want this to be at the stun/taunt level of CC).

• Rationale – This skill is designed to give Tune a good bit of initiation as well as some ability to combo in a 1v1 situation (“W” Tune forward movement + “E” Enemy champion backward movement should get you within 400 range of an enemy which should allow you to get almost an entire “R” off). I tried to design this skill with a few soft discouragements from using it defensively, its mana cost is somewhat high and its reduced spell cost perk means that casting “W” + “E” + “R” will have roughly the same mana cost as casting “E” + “R” damage combo alone. So ideally Tune will initiate teamfights with “W,” putting it on cooldown meaning he won’t have a free escape (An even though Tune is a squishy mage he shouldn’t have a hard time surviving the initial team fight damage if he uses his “R” and damage reduces the appropriate targets until his team can get around him again). Water Slide can definitely be used defensively—I am just noting it has other intended purposes. One other bit of solo combo synergy, if “E” knocks an enemy champion forward onto the Water Slide area, they will continue moving towards Tune (.5 seconds @ 400 movement speed = ~200 range) so if that combo lands then that is a good 300 distance movement on the enemy champion.
Quote:
Q: Aquatic Missile

• Skill Type – Cast on target enemy
  • Damage – Base: [85/125/170/215/260] – AP Ratio: [0.7]
  • Mana Cost – [65/75/90/100/110]
  • Cooldown – [5] seconds
  • Range – [700]

• Description – Water rises from the ground around Tune and rushes towards enemy champion. As it travels it coalesces into some sort of shape, the shape is different for each Spell rank. Splashes and damages upon impact.
    • Rank 1: Spear
    • Rank 2: Packman like object that opens its mouth right before impact
    • Rank 3: Shark
    • Rank 4: Ship
    • Rank 5: Liopleurodon

• Rationale – I am trying to design Tune as a relatively simple to grasp champion. And although this skill probably seems somewhat uninspired it is really designed to synergize well with other skills and provide an unconditional go-to damage spell that doesn’t need to meet a series of requirements to do significant damage. The W, E, and R skills are the ones that make Tune stand out and differentiate him from other champions. One example of designed synergy is a two spell harass combo early game: If “E” hits an enemy champion it can be knocked from 1000 to 900 range, allowing Tune to walk the 200 needed to land the “Q” during the knock up time. One minor reason behind the unique shapes is to differentiate the “Q” animation from “R.” it seems like a generic arcing projectile could be look somewhat similar to an arcing surge of water.
Quote:
Passive: Mana Well
  • Description – Tune acts as a point of attraction for nearby mana energies which causes 6% increased mana regeneration for nearby teammates and 6% reduced mana regen for nearby enemies.
  • Range – [800]
  • Rationale – Mana regeneration/degeneration might not seem appealing when more and more champions are released using a different resource mechanic, but I actually feel like that makes this passive more interesting because it means that Tune will synergize better or worse with (and against) certain team compositions. I feel like designing champions so that they will fit in with teams beyond just Carry/Tank/Support/Jungle is something that isn’t being paid as much attention as it should.
Quote:
Base Stats
  • Health – [390 + 72 per level]
  • Mana – [250 + 48 per level]
  • Health regen – [4.5 + 0.55 per level]
  • Mana regen – [6.8 + 0.60 per level]
  • Armor – [10.5 + 4 per level]
  • Magic Resist – [30 + 0 per level]
  • Movement Speed – [310]
  • Rationale – Pretty standard mage base stats except the base mana is a little bit smaller than most other full mages to help emphasize the “W” mana cost/mana reduction benefit.
Quote:
Auto Attack
  • Damage – [52 +3 per level]
  • Attack Speed – [0.625+ 2.00%]
  • Range – [600]
  • Casting Duration – [Short]
  • Rationale – I wanted the casting time to be short because he is intended to be a relatively easy to use champion and this will help whoever is playing as Tune last hit. And obviously because he is a pure mage the attack damage will be low.
Background:
His origins are unknown; he was found in the Guardian’s sea by Ionian fishermen during a fearsome storm. Because it had been a bad year, the fishing crew had failed to meet their last few catch weight quotas. So when they saw the telltale thunderheads approaching they tried to stay out as long as possible, hoping to land a few last bites before bringing their haul to port. But they stayed out too long and the tempest caught up with them. The fishermen’s boat was being badly battered by the elements’ determined assault when one of the crewmen spotted a strange attenuation in the squall. Being that it seemed to offer some respite from the unrelenting waves the fishermen sailed towards it. As they got closer a placid clearing materialized out of the downpour. The storm’s towering waves were cleaved by some inexplicable force as they approached the clearing, passing around it harmlessly only to reform on the other side and continue marching onward as indomitable as ever. The storm’s dense swaths of rain seemed to content themselves with forming a gloomy, dark-grey wall around the enclosure as they were abruptly arrested if they ever gusted towards the clearing. After a grueling battle with the sea the fishermen finally broke into the tranquil enclosure and were presented with an odd sight. In the center of the clearing, upon a plateau of perfectly calm water, rested a very small boy; he seemed to be in some sort of peaceful stasis. Too frightened to disturb the boy—lest their shelter dissipate or the boy prove hostile—the fishermen kept their distance. But once the storm exhausted itself and gave way to a sunny sky the fishermen decided to approach the aberration. One of the crew was lowered overboard. He carefully wrapped some rope under the boy’s arms guided him as his mates hoisted the boy onto the boat. Upon losing contact with the water the boy stirred. He fully came to as he was laid down on the main deck. “Who am I?” he asked the unfamiliar faces peering at him with an awed, inquisitive looks. They didn’t know, and to this day he hasn’t found out.

Firmly believing that the boy’s mere existence was the only reason the fishermen survived the storm, they welcomed him onboard and after just a few weeks each of the men treated the boy as if he were their younger brother. After it became apparent that the fishermen knew as much about the boy as he knew about himself his origins became a popular target for speculation. Many of the crew joked that he was the spawn of Voltune—the Ionian deity rumored to preside over the guardian sea—which led to the boy garnering the nickname “Tune.” And for lack of a competing name, so he was christened.

While out in the sea Tune found he could consciously manipulate water, just as he had done while comatose during the storm. In his abundant free time on the water he loved to create giant tidal waves and summon massive geysers—which once or twice almost caused the boat to capsize. But he quickly learned to control his powers. He even began trying to help the fishermen fish. Tune would raise huge masses of ocean water over the boat, and then let them drop onto the deck, leaving any fish unfortunate enough to be caught in the water masses unceremoniously flopping around the deck. While this method was quite effective it left everyone and everything thoroughly drenched and the fishermen decided to stick to deep sea bait casting.

After about a year with the fishermen (Tune looked to be around 10 years old now), while walking around the harbor, he saw an advertisement for the League featuring Annie’s face. The evoked feeling was so foreign that it took him a while to realize that his brain was indeed capable of the “recognition” emotional response. He knew her from somewhere. She must know something about him. Although he loved his aimless time on the Guardian Sea with the fishermen, he was ready for purpose. Right then he knew he had to leave Ionia and find Annie. He had to join the League of Legends. He had to find out who he was.

Final Notes:
  • I apologize for any similarities to other champion concepts, I am relatively new to this board and I’m sure my design parallels with at least a few of the hundreds of other water champion concepts. That is a large part of why included such detailed rationales behind each of the skills I chose for this concept, I wanted to make it evident that each skill was carefully crafted to create a coherent design.
  • Also if you leave a link to your champion in a comment I'll be sure to give you a review! (7/1/2011 -- Will be traveling in Europe for 10 days, I'll get back to you ASAP when I'm back home though)

Change/Edit/Idea Log:
  • Added movement speed to champion statistics. [310]
  • R slow/damage reduction now increases with rank (same cap) -- thanks Boibi!
  • W spell cost reduction now increases with rank (same cap)
  • Another alternative to changing the "Left click = select" binding would be to just have the Ultimate activate on double Left click and hold rather than single Left click.

-----------------------------

Thanks for reading!!!!!

Comments are appreciated.

Also please upvote if you like the champion design and downvote if you don’t! I'd rather not include a poll.

AnAngryOak

06-26-2011

This champ is probably one of the best water champ concepts out there. Although there are a few minute details that may need some tweaking, overall it is extremely balanced. Each move seems to synergize extremely well with the others. Definitely a great idea, and I really hope that this champion gets adopted into the game. And with that I give this a good ol' bump.

llstrifell

06-26-2011

The Ultimate if incorporated does seem to have a cool mechanic, I also like that tune would be like an opposite annie, without that dang tibbers of course but i can also see the ultimate getting annoying for me if ever in the game too haha, but it seems fun! and the passive really incorporates team fights i like that. Good Concept.

please check out and criticize my champ concept as well

http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...ight=herocanth

ACrabSlashRhino

06-28-2011

Could be fun.

W4rD3stined

06-28-2011

Seems to be very well thought out, I like the fact that Tune has great spell synergy, yet is not soo easy to play that you start seeing the **** about Annie and her monotonous spells. I do recommend perhaps he gets a bigger support role/ have a bit more survivability than just a pure spellcaster.

Pretty well written, the lore seems a bit long, it was a good read though.

AhhItsMancannon

06-29-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4rD3stined View Post
Seems to be very well thought out, I like the fact that Tune has great spell synergy, yet is not soo easy to play that you start seeing the **** about Annie and her monotonous spells. I do recommend perhaps he gets a bigger support role/ have a bit more survivability than just a pure spellcaster.

Pretty well written, the lore seems a bit long, it was a good read though.
Now that you mention it I agree with the additional survivability because I gave him a decent skillset for initiation.

Haha sorry about background, I had the story narrative planned out in my head and the way I wrote it just ended up being long.

Thanks for reading the lore though! haha.

Boibi

06-29-2011

Awesome champ idea. I feel you've really thought out the new mechanics used and didn't rely on less fun aspects of the game, like I see many other concepts doing.

I would actually really like to try this champ. I can see the build now. QEEWER Unless they have blinky champs. In that case go QEQWQR. Build RoA and Rylai's before deciding whether to build tanky AP or just straight AP. Rylai's slow stacking with his ult's slow would be painful.

The damage reduction on his ult should probably scale up to 60% instead of starting there. Same with the slow. And how would you go about distributing the dps on his ult? Would it be per stack used? Would it be per second? Because then it could be bugged out by having someone turn it on and off rapidly to get a second of damage each time while not blowing 33 stacks each time.

I like that he's a very skillshot based champion. I already love playing Ez and Lux. Less so on Ez because he has no CC and squishes so hard. Tune here has soft CC and the E can even disrupt a Kat ult fairly quickly. Also, it would would be really fun to skill check a bush with that E.

Also, there have been champs in the past that have been able to use something like the water slide to traverse over walls. I play HoN too (even though LoL is soooo much more fun. I have friends who play HoN and I like playing with them) and if I recall correctly, some heroes in HoN can ignore walls with certain skills. So you could look into if that's an interesting idea. Maybe just for jumps that are downhill, like out of the base and into the river from high ground. I dunno if you'd want to do that, but it would make the escape more akin to Ezreal's. Then again, you said it was designed more to be initiation, but once again, using it to initiate on someone going after dragon would be fun.

Anyways, I like it. Quite a bit.

The Red Banana

06-30-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by AhhItsMancannon View Post
Now that you mention it I agree with the additional survivability because I gave him a decent skillset for initiation.

Haha sorry about background, I had the story narrative planned out in my head and the way I wrote it just ended up being long.

Thanks for reading the lore though! haha.
idk about the spell cost reduction on W if you want him to be survivable, maybe that should be some sort of increased armor/mr kind of thing on the W instead of the spell cost so that way you can make him more tank if he tries to start fights

Tibidabo

06-30-2011

Pretty sick dude, R sounds awesome.

Would definitely play this guy if he were made into an actual champion.

Nook

Senior Recruiter

06-30-2011

Wow, impressive champion. Tune I see is much more of a lane pusher than anything. He can push target, move targets, it's again really impressive. Though I do have some recommendations, why don't you make all of Tune's abilities able to move enemy champions. So far you've accomplished that with both Q and W, but for E you can make them jump up something like Malphite's Ult. For your ultimate you can make it like a whirlpool that drags in enemy champion to the center, where they can enter the eye of the storm and be free of damage, while trapping them in a secure area. The area of your ultimate shouldn't be too big maybe a little bigger than Anivia's ultimate. So that enemy champion trapped in the eye of the storm, aren't completely useless you can let them cast spells but of course melee champions are pretty much stranded inside. The casting time should be long so that the enemy champion can tell when your preparing to activate it, which could be good because they can be trying to waste there CC's on you or lose formation trying to avoid your ultimate. Still again your champion is a creative idea.

Please, check out of my champion next and provide a detailed critique.
http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...d.php?t=910194
DETAILED CRITIQUE! :P