Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Alistar and other Support Champ Questions

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GNO Hexar

06-26-2011

Hey guys, I'm currently level 29 and my friends want me to play the support role for our team. I currently play Alistar and Janna but I feel I should learn Taric/Sona/Soraka, etc.

Do I build all supports the same or do I build some of them AP?

Currently my build is looking like Heart of Gold/Philosopher's Stone->Aegis of the Legion->Boots Depending on Situation->Banshee's Veil or Frozen Heart->Soul Shroud->Whatever else comes next...

Is that what I should get on all supports?

Also, for Alistar specifically what should I pick his masteries? I've seen 9-0-21, 0-9-21, 0-21-9, and just a lot of others..... Which one should I use for AP and which for Support?

Lastly, I'm also interested in Alistar jungling..... Does anyone know how well this works? In Dreamhack, Zylor was able to jungle by starting with a Doran's Ring, but I have no idea what masteries/runes he had..... I can get help with blue or red if I need to start there, and I'm willing to purchase any set of items, I just want to learn how to properly jungle with Alistar.

Thanks for all your time and help, I'm just trying to learn lots before I go ranked

GNO Hexar

06-26-2011

Anyone?

IlfirinVelca

06-26-2011

I greatly enjoy malphite. I grab exhaust and clairavoyance, grab 21 pts in utility, the exhaust mastery from offense, and the rest defense. I start with regrowth pendant if my lane ally doesnt need mana, mana manip otherwise. Soul shroud, randuin's omen, frozen heart, force of nature, and w/e else you want. tons of cc: movespeed steal, aoe atk spd debuff, large range, large aoe stun/knockup, exhaust, plus the auras. I CV everywhere, leash constantly for allies, follow carries around once laning is over, let the carry in my lane get every last hit they can, and i grab the others, harass lane opponents like mad, exhaust enemy carries at the beginning of a fight rather then waiting for a chase/kill, buy a ton of wards, communicate constantly, etc. generally all mana regen blue runes, everything else is w/e. think im running armor pen/mana pen reds, move speed quints, and...dunno. armor and mana regen seals i believe

Dane Dread

06-26-2011

Taric and Sona are both popular support champs. Soraka you don't see often but she seems to be gaining popularity lately.

Personally I build Taric like this most games:

Mana manipulator
Boots 1
Philo stone
Aegis of the Legion
Merc Treads
Mana manip -> Soul Shroud
Philo -> Reverie

Abysall Scepter or Stark's Fervor depending on if your team has better AP or AD. Frozen Heart can sometimes be a good pick if the enemy team has a lot of auto-attackers.

Remember when building aura items to make sure your team isn't planning on building any. If they are, skip that item and get something else. Auras don't stack.

GNO Hexar

06-26-2011

Thanks for the suggestions! Support Malphite sounds more tanky than Support but I'll try it out!

I think I might buy Taric next because he's very similarly built like Janna.

GNO Hexar

06-26-2011

Anyone else?