Builds and Thoughts on MALPHITE.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Bachasaur

04-08-2010

I play Malphite as a tank that can initiate and absorb a beating. I'm having good results with this build.

Runes:
Marks - Replenishment mana regen/5
Seals - Dodge
Glyphs - Intellect +11 mana
Quints - Fort

1/21/8
Exhaust/Ghost

Items:
Start with a ruby crystal
Heart of Gold
Leviathan (I should have both these by 12 mins)
Merc Treads/Tabi
Warmogs
Atma's
Frozen Mallet

But this build changes based on my opponents and my own team. For example, I will grab Aegis if needed, or get Banshee or Thornmail. I have steered away from Sunfire Capes, but this patch made them cheaper so I may try them again.

For strategy I max ground slam and brutal spikes, leaving one point in the slow. I focus on farming and ground slamming when the opponents get by the creeps. With these skills I can push easy and take down towers. With ghost I can use my ult to initiate regardless if I got my boots yet and exhaust/shard anyone trying to flee. My damage alone is not too impressive until I get Atma's, but brutal spikes alone are nice. This is my current build, I find it rock solid, maybe it will work for you.

Voidgolem

04-08-2010

Magic penetration + Armor.

The new haunting guise is basically a must-buy, and the changes to Frozen Heart are an indirect buff as well.

Focus shard and slam (which one to focus on depends on enemy comp), with a point in Strikes early on.

Oink The Pig

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voidgolem View Post
and the changes to Frozen Heart are an indirect buff as well.
I thought the price actually went up on Frozen Heart (now total cost of 3075 from 2800). Glacial Shroud, however, looks pretty good now, and can probably be worked in pretty early with the new recipe.

New Haunting Guise doesn't have cooldown reduction, but the magic pen is still there. They changed the recipe as well, so total cost on that is now 1485 instead of 1337.

Voidgolem

04-08-2010

It does, however, offer health, whereas before it had none.

Glacial shroud being easier to accquire is a nice thing. Frozen Heart is the logical next step.

Massive Banana

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-08-2010

2 hearts of gold are always how I start with malphite. This is because you probably have teammates who would benefit the team more from getting kills and last hits. It's better for Malphite to make due with gold from assists, a few last hits or jungling here and there, and your hearts of gold.

As people have said, malphite's main job is to initiate, and secondarily it is to diminish any physical dps they have. Malphite is strongest vs a physical dps team, especially considering his synergy with frozen heart or warden's mail.

If they have any serious casting going on at all, though, you definitely want a bashee's veil. I also usually get merc treads on him, 'cause charging in the way you do, you will get more than your fair share of cc

Roflcoptr

04-08-2010

I usually play a DPS malph, mainly because he can lead to an easy early win due to the fact that his passive makes him an awesome tower diver, when coupled with his ult.

my abiliy order is
1. Q
2. W
3. E
4. Q
5. W
6. R
7. Q
8. Q
9. W
10. Q
11. R
12. W
13. E
14. W
15. E
16. R
17. E
18. E
*I'm not sure if that exactly works, but the concept is to max out Q,W/R,E

Summoner Abilities:
Exhaust/Ignite (I recommend)
Exhaust/ Flash

items:

Core
chalice
ninja tabi
trinity force (sheen first, works well with chasing and your W)
blood thirster
After Core
Honestly, what every you want. I usually go with thornmail and then madreds.
Leviathan (if you get this, get it instead of chalice and play conservatively)
infinitis edge (but you have to get a phantom dancer)

remember: malph is a versatile champion. you can be what your team needs. or a hybrid works best.

Early game:
Harass with Q, do it! Once you get your ult start tower diving. Remember: your ult can SAVE YOU! If cou have a good partner, you should be able to get an early kill due to all the harass. If you can't you should manage to keep both enemies at 50% health (unless they have a healer or a sick combo that' cant be countered)

Mid Game:
Go around ganking. Remember to grab buffs. Very helpful in spamming and chasing. Also, try not to initiate because this build is squishy and not tanky. go in after the initiate, during the battle.

Late Game:
Same as mid game. grab some survivability items. you should be an awesome chaser. remember your Q slows and you can save people. In a team fight, use your ult if they are in front of your tower, or use it if someone gets cocky and/or wanders off trying to be sneaky.

Masteries:
What ever you feel is best ( i leave mine at 9/0/21)

Runes:
I use crit strike and atk speed.

that's basically how I play malph. short and quick easy guide to DPS malph.

malphismia

04-08-2010

^Do not use tiamats, your attacks already splash with brutal strike passive.

If you want to farm, try to level ground slam as soon as possible. You can take out a whole wave with 2 brutal strike passive splash + one slam after awhile. You definitely don't need tiamats, malph is a graet farmer once you stack armor for ground slam.

Armor always is a priority as a tank, don't prioritize health over armor. You can always go for some health, since 10% of his health is his passive shield.

Get a point in brutal strikes early on, passive is nice, but as a tank, you dont need to level it up as a priority.

Shards is nice as early harassment, but big mana drain. If you're not getting golem buff or mana item, don't level it as a priority. Ground slam is priority for farming.

Don't waste ult to run away unless necessary, get flash, ult is too useful to run away, u use it to run towards enemy pack and stun them all, not the other way around.

Last but not least, learn your place as a tank. Since you're the one that lasts longest, you're job is aura items, oracles, etc. Stacking HoGs makes you great endgame, but your early game will suffer. If you have a lot of money in endgame, but your team got rolled early game, it won't help. If you're getting rolled, switch your item build. That's all I have to say.

M3MBRAN3

04-08-2010

The problem I have with Malph is that he is only avg. at whatever method you play him. No matter how you build him there are always better mages, dps and tanks around. He is fun to play though and is actually quite similar to nunu in that his Q is a great harasser and slow.

I've tried building him as DPS but would rather just play as Jax if wanted that playstyle. The best results I've had are usually

philo stone
hogx2
boots
roa
bv / frozen heart

Until you have a decent amount of armour he is an rubbish farmer (not as bad as Alistar though) so 2xhog will let you groundslam your way through creepwaves and generate plenty of cash.

For skills I grab one of each and then max in order R, Q, E, W.

nervous

04-10-2010

I'm surprised noone has mentioned warden mail yet.

I've played my fair share of malphite and tend to start alm ost every time, barring extremely magic heavy teams, with chalice -> tabi -> warden mail. Against a 3+ physical team (which seems fairly common nowadays) you will likely be the strongest character in the game.

incisive

04-10-2010

Never buy heart of gold... you are wasting money and time.
You do want HP and armor, just not that item.

1. Regrowth pendant (Always)
2. Ninja Tabi or Mercury Treads (Depending on if you're against heavy disable/casters)
3. Giants Belt (Always)
4. Glacial Shroud (Always)

Now it becomes more selective...

5. Frozen Mallet / Warmogs / Sunfire Cape (FM for NO ESCAPE, Warmogs for more tanking, SC for farming/killing)

6. Frozen Heart (Unless you are one of these crazy DPS Malphites, this is your most essential item)

7. Now you ask yourself, do I need magic resistance?-- or can I spam armor and hp?

---

The heavy armor build (frozen heart, thornmail, sunfire cape) makes your ground slam epic for last hitting champions, so if you know your team isnt in much trouble and you want that kill, just save your slam for that assured kill (or your ulty lol). I do get most of my kills with shard though, it just works out that way when they try to run with very low health.