Builds and Thoughts on MALPHITE.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SabbathViper

04-08-2010

I have read some guides on him, as I recently purchased him - but I wanted to see if anyone has any more up-to-date opinions as of recent patches and experiences. I play him as an initiator which can hang around and absorb punishment, but I do find that he's not much of a threat outside of that (at least with how I've been building him, and I'm a novice).

I usually end up initiating, and then anticipating those that flee so I can run along with them and shard them to keep them slow. I of course try to keep all the melee's debuffed with ground slam.

I can't seem to finish anyone off on my own, though. Not that I should be, as that is probably the rest of my team's job.

Thoughts? Items? Builds?

Flameturtle

04-08-2010

u can play him also as dd, with madreds bloodrazor ninja tabi phantom dancer and infinity for example

CropKiller

04-08-2010

Yes, he is one of the best initiators, hands down IMO. Its not too hard to get kills with him either...

early game...
If you manage your mana well, you can pick your lane opponent with the least amount of health regen and soften them up with some level 2 shards. When you get your ultimate, you should have level 3 ground slam, level 2 shard, and enough mana to cast all 3. Jump into your enemy, ground slam (I activitate en route so it slams as soon as I land), and then shard them & start whacking them if they aren't already dead.

Get some better items, increase your power relative to your opponent, and lather/rinse/repeat.

mid/late game, during the team battles, be sure to jump in & start nuking & whacking their squishies, you'll be sure to get some kills (especially with ground slam and your W splash damage ability).

SabbathViper

04-08-2010

Do you guys find that you need mana items early on, to harass a lot with shard? Or do you play more conservatively with your mana and just build up armor/health items quicker?

What items do you build first?

Lynxion

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-08-2010

I get HoG ( to help with gold and to be more durable ) -> boots -> IE -> Usually Last whisper -> TF or PD I crit for 1.1k. Constantly. You always get golem, mp/5 is a waste of cash.

Eppa

04-08-2010

I go dorans ring-->boots1--> aegis -> mercthreads--> catalyst--> frozen heart or banshees

I don't like HoG personally since it delays my aegis.

I use blue Mp5/18 runes to help with mana issues,

PhoenixBomb

04-08-2010

I have over 200 games of tank Malphite, and the best advice I can give is to adapt to the ins and outs of the enemy team. I rarely ever have the same build, but there are some goals I try to keep constant.

I always want some means of being able to spam my abilities. I love to roll with Chalice for its fantastic regen and MR, makes your harass potential go through the roof. Sometimes I stress heavy amounts of mana, instead, picking up a Glacial Shroud and a BV.

I always try to achieve around 25% cdr from items, which combines nicely with my 10% from runes. Frozen Heart is great for this, but I only really get it if there's a great need to take out a carries dps. Otherwise I try to get a Soul Shroud and a Spirit Visage, or sometimes a Soul Shroud and an armor heavy item if I can't justify the MR.

Lots of Malphite tanks like to stress armor for the damage, but for the purpose of being a tank, I always try to maximize my effective hp. This means keeping the appropriate balance of your resists and your health. Aeigis is a great means to this end. Banshee's does this well, too. If you have a heavy healing team, stress your resists before your health; this makes their effective healing capabilities much higher.

From a playstyle perspective, always remember that you are an initiator first, a tank second, and damage third. Malphite is NOT capable of handling the damage other tanks can; he lacks a steroid ability and the natural health gain to do so. That doesn't mean he isn't tanky, but just remember that you're not playing Alistar. Save your ult for disrupting either the largest amount of people or the people who will do the most damage/are channeling. If you see a trist/ashe/twitch, ult on them, ground slam, and if you have frozen heart on top of that, watch their attack speed drop to like 0.5.

Ryanth

04-08-2010

I also play malphite as a tank. He is labeled as by Riot as an assassin and that is how you should play him. Your job is to initiate the fight without being killed beforehand, spam all of your abilities and then get out. If you're well coordinated it can be useful to have a carry bait the other team so that they group up nicely for you to ult. Malphite is generally not capable of sitting in the midst of a big battle for a long period of time.

My build goes:

Ruby crystal > leviathan > boots > giants belt > magic resist boots > then either some form of armor or magic resist. Then I finish some health item with the giants belt.

The last items really depend on how smart the other team is and what their composition is. If they are magic buy a bunch of magic resist items. If they are straight damage buy a bunch of armor. BUT if they are intelligent players they will buy penetration items which makes stacking health a lot more effective. You will still need some magic resist/armor but it is not worth getting as much.

It is really important that while laning you pay attention to your passive. I have over 1000 health by level 3 which lets me eat 100 damage for free. This gives you some leeway to get last hits on creeps and eat an early level spell. It also allows you to eat skill shots to protect your lane mate. I often run in front of mundo's cleaver or ashe's ult to protect my lane mate and let my passive do the job for me. By the end of the game you can even take a tower hit or 2 for free.

The passive is also effected by any damage reduction items you have. So if you have 4000 health at the end of the game, a fully stacked leviathan, and some armor items it isn't hard to imagine that it takes a few hits to get through the passive.

Oink The Pig

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-08-2010

Malphite is fairly versatile in terms of how to build him, so the best advice I can give for building Malphite is to take into account your playstyle. For example, I like to harass. A lot. So I usually need to start with some kind of mana regen item. Also, look at your team comp and enemy team comp. If you're the closest thing to a tank on your team and/or you're not in a premade, prepare to armor up. If you're facing teams with 4-5 magic damage dealers, don't be afraid to buy a Wit's End.

Also, while Shard is pretty much a given to level up, I see some dispute as to whether to go with Ground Slam or Brutal Strikes. If I think I need to push creep and take down towers, I will go Brutal Strikes. If my team is actually decent at team fights, I'll focus on Ground Slam to maximize my initiations. Likewise, if I have to protect my lanemate from overaggressive melee champs, Ground Slam becomes high priority.

Note also that Malphite is not listed as a "tank". You can build him as a tank, but he's definitely squishier than he looks. His passive is great, but it's better to look at it as something that'll help you survive as opposed to something that will help you tank. Of course, it's helpful that armor buffs his damage. However, in random queues, you will probably need to get some tank items, just so you can survive when you initiate.

DoomPirate

04-08-2010

I've been playing malphite for over 50 games now, and i am starting to get really comfortable with him.
I am proud to say that he is my main right now.

I think I'm the only one using this type of build, but I find myself affecting the outcome of games way more with this build than a pure tanking build.

With this build, I find it extremely easy to kill squishy heroes by yourself.
If in laning phase, follow these steps:
(Note this works best on nontank heroes and between levels 6 and 12)
1. Hit them with a shard or two to reduce their hp.
2. Wait for shard to be cooled down.
3. Cast maphites ultimate on the enemy.
4. Immediately cast ground slam.
5. Shard him
6. Cast ignite on him.(At this step, they are probably already dead, if they are still alive, continue these steps)
7. (Optional)Cast Exaust on him
8. Autoattack for a couple hits.
9. Shard him again.
10. He should be dead.

I've had many opponents tell me how my shard ability(Q) would do a ton of damage.

With the help of an ally, there is really no reason for the enemy to still be alive.

My specs focus on burst damage.
Here is my setup.
Ignite and Exhaust.
All offensive masteries(Ignite and Exaust specialties)
Runes: Spell Penetration, Spell Penetration Quints, and Defensive Runes
The reason I get spell penetration is because 3 of his spells get stronger from spell penetration.

Itemwise, I think stacking armor(HOG) is a bad idea. This is because his dps becomes almost nonexistant then.
I also find going pure tanking useless against skilled players because they completely ignore me and kill my allies.
And even with stacking armor, it only makes a single ability better.

Skill Order, focus on the Q, E and R abilties. Especially Q. I usually go something like this Q E Q E Q R Q E W.

I believe the first 3 major items you buy are the most important for determining your worth in the game. These first 3 major items being the Philospher's Stone->Shoes(will vary)->Tiamat or FrostMallet.
I start with a Meki Pendant and 2 health potions.
Then finish a philosopher's stone.
Then get shoes.
Then build a tiamat or Frost Mallet.
Why tiamat? It allows you to farm really rapidly when you aren't ganking. This inturn allows you to get much better items later than if you bought defensive items.
Why Frost Mallet? More Hp is always good, makes farming easier also because you will be splashing more damage, and this item is very good at preventing an enemy from escaping.

At this point in the game, I just get defensive items like guardian angel.

Pros and cons of Malphite:
Pros: Good at laning against squishies
Really easy to kill squishies from lvl 6 and up.
Hard to escape from him if hit with a shard.
Good at farming with a damage item.
Cons: Bad at laning against Mordekaiser, Sivir, Taric.
Not the best at tanking tons of damage.
Not the best carry.

Here are some important notes for playing Malphite:
If your allies are about to kill an enemy in a team battle and the enemies are about to run away, make sure you shard the fleeing enemies before they get out of range so you your team can get more kills.

Use your ultimate wisely. Its ok to even use it on a single enemy if your team wont suffer any losses.

Using all your abilities and summoner spells at once on a single squishy champion usually means that they will die.

Remember to use your ultimate as an escape if you are being ganked!

In a big team battle in mid or lategame, know when it is smart to initiate. Your allies should be just in range of them when you ult them.

I've seen many people post how malphite should just be tanking with no damage items. I've tried pure tanking builds and they completely ignore me and my nonexistant damage while finishing off my teammates. I will still be successful with a pure tanking build, however, I find myself so much more dependent on my team to win us the game, as I will be doing very little damage lategame without somesort of offensive item.

My last game I played today, and I went 5 kills 1death 17 assists. And the items I mostly used were tiamat, frozen mallet, shoes, and philosopher's stone.

From building a tiamat earlygame, its so easy to finish off a squishy by yourself in the first 1 second of a team battle. If you are still alive, then chances are your team will win the battle.