Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

[GUIDE] Yorick's not as UP as you THINK!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sanarity

06-24-2011

Yorick the Gravedigger. People are constantly qq'ing about how he is UP and yet I've only lost 3-4 games with him tops. Several of the games I carried hard. His damage is a bit low but not as low as everyone is complaining about. You don't have to be level 11 to be even remotely useful in lane. His stride starts to hit at around level 5 and I'll show you why in this guide.

RUNES: Though people call him way too squishy he is in fact a Tanky Bruiser character. His base stats don't show it very well though. I hate to say it, and I REALLY hate to say it but Phreak's runes are right on the money when it comes to Yorick's Runes.
Marks: Armor Pen
Seals: Flat Armor
Glyphs: Flat Magic Resist
Quintessences: Armor Pen

Without the flat Armor and MR seals/glyphs Yorick is even squishier than Teemo in the early game but without the escapes. Those flat runes will give you just a slight lane presence until you get to level 5 where you're able to actually start doing damage.

The armor pen runes are to utilize his lowest cooldown spell Omen of War which, when combined with a sheen/trinity, deals a solid amount of damage.

Masteries: I know I'm going to hear it about being a Phreak fanatic here but I did in fact like his idea to go 11/0/19 for Yorick. It gets you the extra armor pen that you need to deal damage early game and gives you cooldowns and mana regeneration to sustain his huge mana dependency.

Awkward numbers, efficient results.

SUMMONER SPELLS: Flash and Clarity. I'm sure you all know why I picked flash if you've played Yorick at all. He has no reliable escape mechanism or effective gap closer. Flash allows you to do both of those things in a pinch.

Clarity is solely because you are a mana ***** in lane. Your manacosts scale on all your abilities but your "q" and your mana pool doesn't scale nearly enough to support it. Clarity also allows you to help your lane mate be more aggressive in the lane as well by allowing an increase of spammed spells.

ITEMIZATION/Build Order: If you want to do anything in lane that's worth while you need Mana Regeneration.
1. Start off with a Meki Pendant and Two Health Pots. This allows you to be a little more aggressive and doesn't cause you to be "oom" for the entire lane phase.

2. Once you get 1650 gold recall and grab your basic boots and Chalice of Harmony. The chalice adds some durability and gives the mana regen to spam a bit more than usual. (EDIT 2: Used to have Philostone as well. After a recent test it's unneeded)

3. After you go to the shop again you'll want to grab either a Sheen or if you're farming well enough (Not hard to do with him since his "q" resets his auto attack timer), a Sheen and Phage. The slow stacks on Phage and Omen of Pestilence so it will allow you to land more auto attacks and harass better while also adding a little bit of HP and Sheen procs with your Q to deal a solid amount of bonus damage. (NOTE: Somewhere in between this phase and phase 2 you should have upgraded to Mercury Treads)

4. Your next shopping experience should grab you a Trinity which will increase your damage output quite effectively and give you the mobility to catch people with your slow since it's range is a bit lacking.

5. After this the items you get are entirely up to you. I personally like to get a Yomuu's Ghostblade, Warmog's, and an Atma's Impaler. These items can just as easily be Banshee's Veil, Spirit Visage, Force of Nature, or any item of your liking or situation. EDIT 2: After some testing I found that Spirit Visage is a solid item as well. Bloodthirster seems to be a solid item for upping his damage output.

SKILLING ORDER: This is an awkward order to be honest but it helps you stay in lane just a wee bit longer when combined with the first few items.
(Skilling Key: Q=Autoattack Booster W=AoE Slow E=Lifedrain Nuke R=Ultimate)

Here it is: W, E, Q, W, E, R, Q, Q, Q, Q, R, E, E, E, W, W, W

Start with your slow so that if you're paired with a lane partner you can pick up a first blood early or at least push them into recalling or wasting potions. From there you want to get the lifedrain so that you can sustain a bit longer and start to wear down the enemy champions. After that you want to put another point into slow and drain before maxing your Q. This will allow a little more harass and sustain while allowing you to farm adequately. All the while you are doing this put a point into your Ultimate whenever possible.

Playing Yorick: Until level 5 Yorick is about as useful as a level 1 tryndamere without crit chance runes. Play in a passive aggressive style hitting them with your slow and running at them to scare them off so that you can farm a bit more. Once you hit level 5 your damage should be able to start really wearing down on the enemy champion. (Barring a well Runed 0/21/9 tank) At that point you should be able to start to deny them experience by dropping the W+E combo and letting the wraiths do their job. After that your sole job will be to PUSHPUSHPUSHPUSHPUSHPUSHPUSHPUSHPUSHPUSHPUSH. If you're good at anything early game it's using your minions to outnumber the enemy creeps and burn down their health. Once you hit lvl 7-8 you're free to roam because your slow is an effective ganking skill with a relatively consistent slow. Since most people don't try and kill the ghoul because its attacks are low damage that gives you between 3-5 seconds to bring the hurt.

If you want to jungle the same runes apply but get flat HP quintessences and someone to leash blue buff for you. He's a surprisingly good jungler contrary to what I've heard. (As soon as I bought him I assumed he could jungle and went 3/3/6. Not great but it shows potential.)

Also, I expect a large amount of downvotes but if you downvote at least post some USEFUL feedback in order for this to improve.

EDIT 1: I've noticed that Chalice and Philo are a bit overkill together after some more testing. I'm going to play a few more games and try either just chalice or just Philo. Also going to try some different rune setups for testing. I still think the Flat Resist runes are best but I could be wrong. It might be better to throw some CDR in there. Thx for the positive feedback guys. Minimal QQ'ing about Yorick is Surprising.

EDIT 2: After some more testing I found that a late game a Bloodthirster and CDR does significantly better in some situations. Removed Philostone as a second purchase. Chalice of Harmony works better for increasing durability and allows a bit more spam.

EDIT 3: After extensive testing I've decided to wait for his buffs. If their team has and semblance of tankiness then your damage is non-existent. It was rather aggravating to watch as a jarvan with Vamp Scepter would auto attack one minion and heal all the damage I did with a full spell combo. He's a squishy killer but it requires you to be able to get to the squishies and for them to stay squishy.

Ambushking

06-24-2011

i have seen 4 good yoricks since release.

i want to see more.

+1

Chaoticon

06-24-2011

Why are you stacking ARMOR pen, all his abilities do MAGIC damage. His auto attacks don't hit for ****, even with the passive that is never up because ghouls insta die.

SpamsLaugh

06-24-2011

Your step 2. "Once you get 1650 gold recall and grab your basic boots, Chalice of Harmony, and a Philosopher's stone"
Most people will grab Chalice, or Philo, rarely do they need both. I'm not saying he doesn't, but thats a red flag right there. Maybe you can make it work, and run CDR boots and turn that Philo into Elisas whatever. Still, you throw sheen on top of that and now you've spent almost 3K on just taking care of his mana issues and grabbing 60 dmg every 3 seconds in melee range. Put that same Sheen (just the sheen) on GP and you're hitting every four seconds for 200 at level 7, plus 8 or so from his passive tick, at ranged, and getting a slow out of it too. Put the same sheen on poppy and you've already got your core early game, and you're Q'ing for 400. Put 3K on Caitlyn, who has no trouble last hitting, and she'll be putting your mid at his tower, in his grave. There's very few times I go back to base with 1600gold, not since the mundo ultimate/hp nerf anyway. If I'm winning my lane (have no reason to go back and there's no jungle), I'll push a wave to their tower so they don't get xp for it, and back and buy. Even if I am close to a BF sword and boots on a ranged carry, I still usually go back and get boots first. Because even if that first blood I got was sweet, that guy's coming back with boots and full bars. Wall of text, sorry.

He's not a good jungle either. He has to get close to you to do anything. That means he probably needs to run smite flash. He's also extremely slow in the jungle, and extremely prone to counter jungling. His reliance on blue buff makes even a moderately normal pace jungle unlikely, any good team will know he's starting with blue and if he doesn't steal it. You can counter this by four man guarding him while he does it, but it will be a four man he has nothing to bring to the table in that first fight. Other junglers have innate steroid skills that make jungling fast, and their synergy with red buff and initiation skills is what makes that particularly useful.

As for laning...you say to start with your slow, so you can force them to recall or get first blood. He's squishy...and you have a slow, if I'm any duo lane I can think of you're going to get wiped unless you're tagging with Garen. (Even then, most duos are there for a reason whether its to steroid a carry as a babysitter or a double stun. If its solo and you're not, being there at lvl 1 would be silly.

It's not that Yorick can't do damage. It's not that his lifesteal is too weak. It's that there's so many people who do it better, easier, or faster. I don't think this is a hidden gem like karma was. He'll probably be strong enough when he gets buffed. But right now I think the games where he does well, were already won. He'll still shine in early games maybe due to lack of runes and masteries, where mitigation is missing and people are running heal revive. Once you hit the 30s though, you're just dragging your team down I feel.

Rotguine

06-24-2011

Quote:
Chaoticon:
Why are you stacking ARMOR pen, all his abilities do MAGIC damage. His auto attacks don't hit for ****, even with the passive that is never up because ghouls insta die.

Two of his abilities do Magic Damage but AD scales the MD damage. He is a freaking AD Champion. I've seen Yoricks try to build him AP just based on the fact that his tooltip says Magic Damage and I've seen them do horrible.

I've ran with AD since I first played him and I dominated each time.

Please if you believe that Yorick is an AP champion because his abilities say Magic Damage then go die in a fire because you can't play this game.

BTW. Down-voted you because you're a scrub.

Redenbacher

06-24-2011

Quote:
Chaoticon:

As stated above, two abilities deal magic damage.

Your auto-attacks, Q, your revenant, and your ghouls do physical damage.

Furthermore, the ghouls don't insta-die. They live long enough to deal 2-3 auto-attacks at .3 times your total attack damage. That's a .6-.9 AD ratio added on top of all of your abilities.

Armor penetration is the way to go. Understand the game, then say the champion is UP.

On topic:

I like the guide. A little too much on the tanky side for my tastes, but I'll have to see - I'm still tinkering, CDR and AD seem to be the ticket in my opinion. I think the Chalice + Philo + Clarity is a little overkill. You don't need to spam everything on every cooldown! I use mana regen seals, meditate, a philo stone, and teleport - mana issues are largely solved. I do think I'll try the Chalice though, I hadn't thought of that.

LyraOrpheo

06-24-2011

if your champion scales off AD but deals magic damage, then it may be better to use AD runes instead of Armor Penetration don't you think? His magic damage won't benefit from Armor Penetration but rather, from Magic Penetration. The AD will also give Sheen/Trinity bigger oomph.

Its funny that people would buy AP items on him when ability power does nothing for his abilities lol.

EDIT: nvm, if the ghouls are your source of damage and your own AD doesn't increases the ghoul's auto-attack damage then definitively you want armor penetration.

Sanarity

06-25-2011

bump

gjaller

06-25-2011

Quote:
LyraOrpheo:

EDIT: nvm, if the ghouls are your source of damage and your own AD doesn't increases the ghoul's auto-attack damage then definitively you want armor penetration.

They do. Its in his passive. They have 30% of his AD.

InitiateFailure

06-25-2011

All those items for mana efficiency... I just start with a manamune and never worry about mana again. It's pretty much required for him.

Most of your build is pretty standard for what people are doing. The problem is that his numbers are all still low. I love his concept though. Hope the tweaks to him put him where he needs to be.