New Front End, first impressions and feedback

First Riot Post
123456 ... 7
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RoarMan

Adjudicator

07-10-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citrix View Post
Grats on your beta key
eXes has been in beta for quite some time now.

That aside, I like the new Front End a lot. A really GREAT improvement, looks very pertiful, very good job Riot. I love the attention to detail, almost every click seemed to come with an animation.

However, as rogerchew has pointed out, the client is stilly laggy. I didn't notice a delay in chat however, but this could be just not paying attention.

Overall, great job!

micha

Adjudicator

07-11-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerchew View Post
- client is still laggy.
- chatting still has a slight delay from keypress to display on the screen.
- the tool bar at the top moving up/down transitioning is a nice effect but when you exit the game screen and go back to the main window, when the toolbar comes down, it overlaps the main window and then there's a resize effect that isn't smooth. i'm sure you're aware of this.
- buddy window still looks featureless and very plain.
- chat window is very small and cramped.
- in summoner profile, should be able to scroll down on the "most heros played", "recent matches", to see more than the first 3-4 lines.

all in all, this front end is SOOOO much better than the last one. Keep up the improvements!!!!

biggest complaint is the lag when using it, fading effects don't feel smooth, transitions, etc.

good points, i want to add:

- Summoner Spell Tooltips are totally broken
- Summoner Spell Names, all beginning with "Summoner" since some weeks and with the new front end you cant read the whole spell name
- Summoner Spell Description -> only 2 lanes but like every spell uses more then a 2 lane description so give more that we dont have to scroll in a 2 line window

Akosh Peremy

Adjudicator

07-11-2009

The new client looks very nice, i like it. There is one complaint i can make:

In my first game after patching (well, 2nd, first one was an rmk in 5 minutes), somehow i bugged the client (LoLClient.exe) to go crazy, it started eating ~70-80% of my CPU. It did so WHILE i was playing a game, so my game was horribly laggy. Rebooting the PC fixed it.

Friend

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

The Council

07-11-2009

The new front-end is a huge improvement, and I'm definitely a fan. That said, my complaints echo some of the earlier posters:

-Laggy, sometimes slightly glitchy looking transitions.
-Broken tooltips (some missing content, and some of them flicker wildly if you mouse over them from one of the corners).
-The pages turning in the rune book window could stand to be faster and less flickery.
-Stats showing up incorrectly in game lobbies (sometimes missing stats altogether, some people said their stats were on someone else).
-Summoner profile could use more work-- show more information, fewer flashy pictures, accurate information (=P), and the like.
-More chat options. Maybe an option to have either an integrated chat window or the current detachable setup?

Overall the changes I most want to see currently are to make it smoother (between screens and animations), faster (less downtime waiting for the bar at the top of the screen to pop down, runebook changing pages, lots of little things), and as lag-free as possible.

This is definitely going in the right direction, though, so thumbs up from me.

Soneca

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Adjudicator

07-11-2009

I have some things i would like to see implemented:
1.fullscreen front-end
2.buddy manager and chat being in the same window as the lolclient instead of being separate.

and....that's all

redit

Adjudicator

07-11-2009

I f*ckin love the new front end. There are bugs, but it feels a lot better than the old one, overall.

Lima Beans

Core Engineer

07-11-2009
2 of 10 Riot Posts

Would also like to see feedback on the champion browser/select and how it can be improved and what you liked.

Blank

Recruiter

07-11-2009

RE champion selection: It'd be nice if we could random... like an actual button that was random. I know it's hardly a "pro" thing to do but meh... I'm not pro.

I'd also like if the info panel was a seperate button and not actually ON the heroes. In my race to pick OPbird I clicked that button and was beaten to the pick. But more seriously, I misclick on that a lot and it's just kinda annoying. not a huge deal -_-

Ronnie Doitch

Adjudicator

07-13-2009

Why are there two buttons to start looking for a game? There was a sword that "Chose the type of game you want to play" which just started looking for a game once u chose practice game and then there was the "Play Game" button. Redundant IMO.

The client is slow and laggy and the chat system is still horrid. Its 2009, one would think an internet chatting program wouldnt be this way.

Champion selection is great, being able to list the champions by type (Disabler, Nuker, Tank, Assasin etc..) but there are WAY too many types. Assasin and Carry? Could combine that list perhaps? That is just one example. Not having access to the game at the moment hinders my example making ability.

Being able to adjust masteries during the champion selection is excellent, thank you. Now let us customize our recommended item build in-game

It is my opinion that the new client only looks better and does not respond better aside from the champion selection changes. I would like it to be more intuitive, more responsive and have a chat system that works to todays standards.

Rev

Adjudicator

07-13-2009

I really liked the new front end, and thought it functioned well for the most part. I had tiny amounts of lag, but nothing more than a second or two pause when transitioning to a new area of the interface.

The one piece of lag that worried me a bit was post-game, when the front end should pop back up. When it doesn't come up within 5 seconds, it made me think it had crashed or frozen and there's nothing on your screen to let you know it's actually trying to transition back to the front end. Is there any way to put some kind of placeholder screen there? I hate loading screens as much as the next guy, but I like some kind of indication that things are still functioning as they should and that I just need to be patient for a few ticks.

As Ronnie posted above, the champion sorting system did seem to have either too many characteristics, or some characteristics that only seemed to apply to one particular hero anyway. I kind of assume they're there for growth in the champion population or that it's mostly for testing. I used the thing a few times and it always returned the champion types expected, so I guess it works.

One problem we had with the front end (and maybe we just missed something obvious) was inviting buddies to games. The initial invite system works great and I like that it remembers who you invited last time. The problem we had was when one of our status got changed to "Rejected" either by a miss-click, client crash, or disconnect, we were unable to re-invite that buddy without reforming the game from scratch. Are we missing something or is there really no way to get someone into a game once their status becomes "Rejected"?

123456 ... 7