Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Guide: Malphite, the Annoying Rock

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TheMentalMan

10-10-2009

in my opinion buying philosophers stone that late into the game is a waste, its definately a good thing to build at the start of the game before the boots. <3 anyway tho zeeman

From your friendly neighbourhood robocop

Noubito

10-18-2009

I don't understand all the hate. Maybe I'm just playing bads, but my first time playing with him we lost because 2 fed and then quit, but we still made it a 40 minute game even though it was 3v5, don't remember how I did player-versus-player wise, but obviously this build worked for me. Second time I played him, I went 8 and 1. Third time I went 11 and 0. Seems like the OP grasped a certain mechanic pretty fast. Again, I don't know if I'm just lucking out on who I'm playing against, but I'm finding Malphite kinda sexy now, which is ironic considering how gimped I think melee heroes are (except for the 2 cheap ones, that I've never played and never will, whose abilities literally defy death).

banduan

10-19-2009

I haven't seen this build before I tested Malphite yesterday. He came across as WTFIMBA altho I was playing a practice match.

I'm a new player but found this guy so easy to learn.

Went:
Summoner spell: smite/tele
1 point Q
Max E, get W when possible.
Ulti when possible.
Max Q.

Equip:
Philosopher's, Swift Boots, Sunfire, wildcard item depending on matchup (I got Force of Nature), 2nd Sunfire

I played defensively abusing the passive to last hit, harassing with Q at full mana.
Once I got ulti I attacked with R, E, Q, W combo, sometimes not bothering with the W. A kill isn't necessary, just force them back. Ideally don't solo.

I don't think this champ needs uber items though, next attempt I'll go philosophers, swiftness, heart of goldx 2 or 3. Heh

edit: forgot- smite is for golem buff, you get it before you gank.

Senta

Recruiter

10-20-2009

recently i have been giving some love to malphite, going for the perhaps stupid build of 5 hearts of gold followed by swiftness, then selling hearts depending on situations, Force of Nature, Frozen Heart and Guardian Angel are my favourites.

In a 50 minute game i finished 12/2/19 tabi (just cos) FoN, Frozen, Guardian, Wardens, Atmas, noone was killing me

Auralynx

10-22-2009

I've got a somewhat more up-to-date guide up for Malphite now; y'all may want to have a look at that.

GETaDRAGONITE

10-28-2009

Passive: Malphite's attacks hit units near his target for 30 / 35 / 40 / 45 / 50% of his attack damage.
tiamat = 50% splash.... 100% splash on a dps hmmm
fuckin newbs fail... did no1 play dota?
"hmm i could buy one item and hit every1 for 350+ dps....naw i should buy 2 items that total at 3x times the price so i can hit for 100dps and then auto hit for 150 dps " less dmg cost more and ineffective... 2700+ each cape 1900 1 tiamat, done and done.... with that extra 3500 you can get almost any item............ so dont fail

even when i was twelve i wasnt this moronic

Bloodba7h

Recruiter

10-29-2009

Quote:
Sir Olrick:
Passive: Malphite's attacks hit units near his target for 30 / 35 / 40 / 45 / 50% of his attack damage.
tiamat = 50% splash.... 100% splash on a dps hmmm
fuckin newbs fail... did no1 play dota?
"hmm i could buy one item and hit every1 for 350+ dps....naw i should buy 2 items that total at 3x times the price so i can hit for 100dps and then auto hit for 150 dps " less dmg cost more and ineffective... 2700+ each cape 1900 1 tiamat, done and done.... with that extra 3500 you can get almost any item............ so dont fail

even when i was twelve i wasnt this moronic

Dude, no.

Sunfire Cape = 2850 gold
Tiamat = 2320 gold

The price difference isn't as drastic as you portray.

Sunfire Cape adds valuable health and armor that Tiamat doesn't even compare. +500 HP and +50 Armor turn you into a TANK. Not a DPS. They are different goals.. The aura is nice but it's not the #1 reason you get Sunfire Cape. You get it to become tough to kill AND do more damage at the same time.

Tiamat gives a piddly health and mana regen. The +42 damage is nice and so is the splash.. but its definitely not the only viable item on Malphite. In fact, you hardly need more splash damage as opposed to straight up damage anyways. His splash + stomp = amazing to kill creep waves.

Have you seen this video?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syBq7Iyitnc

This is a good way to build Malphite.

Neltharek

11-14-2009

Just used a pure armor build on him for pure giggles. Damage was sheer lunacy and becase our team was physical heavy, I could rush in and just mow down targets. Ground slam was hitting for nearly 600 a strike non crits.

Build:

Ninja Tabi
Frozen Heart
Sunfire Cape X2
Atma's impaler

had another 3k gold but game ended before I could go back. woulda prolly added a Warmogs just for the comic value.

Mal is an absolute beast.

TheMammon

11-29-2009

Imo boots should be chosen by looking at ur enemy - caster: go for mercs (even if they dont give u armor) if not caster: go ninjas

Runes: Since Malphite can be a jungler too i went for armorpenetration , armor , and cooldownreduction.

Usually i play him with following items:
Philosophers Stone (U can spam much more and get a constant HP-reg + it solves its costs after 15min)
Banshees Veil (For absorbing even more dmg from nukes additionally to ur passive ability)
Frozen Heart (more spam, cooldownreduction for ur ultimate)
Atmas Impaler (more dmg + armor for pushing etc)
if u can farm well:
Abyssal Scepter ( for more magic resistance and more spelldmg to enemies)
SunfireCape (its a nice item imo, but i dont like it)

If enemy is more physical:
Try Wardens Mail to slow their AS even more (Slam + Frozen Heart + Warden = IMBA)

Not to forget:
Guardian angel (also nice imo)
Aegis of the Legion (for teamsupportin aura)

My Masteries:
ATK til the 15% Magic-Penetration and Utilitytree

01-01-2010

I support this guide, I read it last september and never got the chance to show my thanks, it was the first guide ive ever read and so far the only one that i've enjoyed.
This guide has helped me understand the finer points of malphites item builds, and it is the way I play malphite all the time.
Rated thumbs up, keep up the good work.