Guide: Malphite, the Annoying Rock

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mystikal

09-04-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
Interesting build, Mystikal, will try it out today.

One question though: are you not better off turning mana and hp regen pendants into Tiamat directly?

The more I play Malphite, the more I think he could play like a Sivir with less support and more pvp bang. I mean, he is a very solid pusher, and with Tiamat it must be really out of this world, but he doesn't need to flee 1v1 either, except probably against Jax (but then, who doesn't?).

EDIT: tried it. Tiamat still sucks so bad it makes babies cry. Sunfire capes stacking is good versus a melee-heavy team, other than that, I still prefer warmog+Atma.
I could see how the Warmog/atma build could be very potent on him considering his passive, but I would think that even then he's still squishy. And you said Tiamat sucks, this varies greatly from my experience because between his passive splash and tiamat splash (I think), I was critting people I wasn't even attacking for just under who I was actaully striking. I'm at school right now or I would try Warmog/atma. What type of spec / rune book did you use?

Anansi

Adjudicator

09-04-2009

Book is attack speed on red, HP/lvl on yellow, and CD reduc/lvl on blue (didn't have time to change it post-nerf )

Mastery 21/0/9 but you could certainly go for 21/9/0 I guess.

Order of skills: W first, one point in E, rest in Q. Ult when ready.

Let me know what you think !

Kamiro

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-04-2009

Quote:
Order of skills: W first, one point in E, rest in Q. Ult when ready.

Let me know what you think !
I'd go Q last. You really only need the attack speed debuff at mid-late game when it becomes a problem. Earlier on, having E pretty high gives pretty much the same results, damage wise, that Q does. W is good for chasing down Champions, so I max that first, followed by E while taking R whenever it is available. I do make sure to get one point in Q when I can, though, just in case I need it.

Kimmy Gibler

09-04-2009

Depends on your playstyle. I prefer to do the same as Anansi as I don't like to harass after lvl 3 since I have huge mana problems, and I'd rather kill all of the creeps with Q and E.

Anansi

Adjudicator

09-04-2009

@Kamiro: I like 1 point in E to get those random last kills, but I found Q to be better at damage burst past lvl 6 which is why you want to put some points into it. For E to do decent damage, you need to be able to get those attacks in, which is sometimes tough. Q plays a bit differently: it's a great jungling skill to take down golem - which is a big help, as Paxad confirmed: you do have mana issues - and also an awesome follower to his ult.

About that, I've had numerous kills that I believe felt horrible on the receiving end. Level 6-7, coming back while a tower is attacked by say 3-5 creeps + melee champ: Ult in. Every creep dies. Tower focuses the enemy in the air, Q him in the air. As he lands, W + attack for the win. Level 7 master Yi died in like 2 and a half seconds while I rejoiced at Malphite's awesomeness.

Oh, one more idea I had on the way back from work: what about Sheen on him? He has short CDs, a good opener, a good follower... Seems like a fairly decent item to get from level 6-14. After that you can farm so easily that you can peobably sell it back end game? Just a thought...

Mystikal

09-04-2009

Quote:
Oh, one more idea I had on the way back from work: what about Sheen on him? He has short CDs, a good opener, a good follower... Seems like a fairly decent item to get from level 6-14. After that you can farm so easily that you can peobably sell it back end game? Just a thought...
The Sheen idea seems solid, Ult in and break everything . A sheen hit with e on would be a disgusting follow-up.

Just played another game, Tiamat seems to produce the same splash damage in a smaller radius as your E ability. With both of these your effectively hitting everything directly in front of you. It's pretty gross.

Anansi

Adjudicator

09-04-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystikal View Post
It's pretty gross.
Hahaha, loved that line.

Malphite is awesome. When we figure out the build properly, he's going to cause QQ all over the forums, I tell you.

I've asked Kristophoros - who is in all probability a much better player than I am - what he thinks the "right" build to be. Let's keep on diggin'!

Zoobi

09-04-2009

I play him as a tank. MR vs caster teams and armor vs carry teams. Seems to work well for the most part, he's lots of fun to play as a tank. Soaks damage like a pro, his passive helps a lot too. Pretty good pusher with using his E on towers.

Foreshadowed

09-04-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiplash View Post
My first game with Malphite I went 17-2, and carried the team. I did a dps build tho, I went frost mallet first then attack speed boots then two phantom dancers and an infinity edge. Needless to say I attacked super fast and i crit for 600-700. I had like 72% crit chance at the end i believe, I would pretty much show up and kill everyone on the other team. I could also push towers in a matter of seconds. Oh yea I used my +55% crit dmg rune page as well, so it helped.

I tried the same build in the next game and had a bad lane (cryophoenix+annie) so I couldnt farm well at all. Didn't work out too well, especially since my teams soraka and taric didnt heal anyone cept for each other lol.

Tank Malphite> Carry Malphite

Phyrose

09-04-2009

Hes supposed to be a tank, but last game i had utility 21 tree and i made an hybrid DPS-TAnk: Dodge boots, TIamat, frozen mallet , Critical-movespeed item and dodgey and i was owning.... At the end of the game we lost ( lots of pushing and feeders on my team).... but i got 25-2-12 ........ Just Enter with ulti, Used W on the weakest, they focus me to save their friend, i use E and Q for SLowing their dps.... TRIPLE KILL! try it

I think that CLeanse and heal, or Teleport HEal are the best for him, Oh and Frozen mallet is very important, because u cant reach the sometimes (they slow you or stun) ...

Maybe I will try GHost For Champ ability next time... so If they stun me or slow... i use Improved ghost and catch them fast.