Guide: Malphite, the Annoying Rock

123456 ... 7
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ponies Gonna Pwn

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Adjudicator

09-03-2009

You don't lose the splash when you activate Brutal Strikes. Also, it's 70%.

Wisewind

09-03-2009

I actually like his Brutal Strikes "E" skill a lot. Splash damage helps farm and its relatively low cool down allows you to spam its active ability for even more damage. I haven't tested any specific equipment outside of his recommended build but it has worked fine for me so far.

Anansi

Adjudicator

09-03-2009

Seriously, I don't mind when people post "early thoughts", but my opinion here is that your guide is really too "early".

I've followed it and although it can work, I would not recommend it to anyone trying Malphite for the first time. I've had a lot more success and fun with a classic:

- Cloth Armor + 2 pots
- Regen Pendant + Ninja Tabi
- Warmog
- Atma's Impaler

A key point is to farm Golem because Malphite has like no mana.

His farming capability is good already thanks to E spell. Cape is useless, Imho.

If game lasts longer, I would recommend Banshee's Veil.

2 potential last items to make a big difference could be Guardian Angel and Force of Nature. Or going the damage route with Wit's end and infinity edge.

Back to testing, everyone!

Pewz

09-03-2009

yeah i meant 70% i think i just mentioned a lower rank going tank build worked great for me one game was so nuts i managed to farm up 4sunfire capees they had alot melee Ulti >aoe thingy alot of deads

Zingmaster

09-03-2009

I tried playing him like Amumu last night as well, and he was far less effective than a DPS malphite who I played against in one game and emulated in another. Warmog's/Atma's and then some atsp and life steal.

Fatwa

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-03-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lollerman View Post
^ Hit E to lose your splash damage?
Play Malphite, try it out. Doesn't disable splash.

Gamity

09-03-2009

I think that, like a lot of other champions, your build is going to rely on who you're facing. If it's a melee heavy team I could see this being a really effective build/concept. High armor would make it difficult to kill Malphite, and you'd also be able to initiate easily using his ultimate or flashing into a team and hitting them with his Q ability to drop their attack speed.

However, if it's a caster heavy team then you'd be better off going with a dps build to attempt to kill their champions quickly. High armor and an attack speed debuff won't help against casters, but being able to increase your single target damage with his E ability will.

Mystikal

09-03-2009

I find the tanky aspect of him to be moot. I tried going pure damage and absolutely wrecked an entire team by myself with 1000+ crits. Went early philosophers to spam W and level up E on the side, as well as being able to stay on a lane indefinitely. Laning with Judicator and Blitzcrank early game was scary as solo but I managed to wrangle up a first blood with a well timed ultimate. My spec is 23/0/7 and my rune book is hp/armor penetration. After the philosophers I grabbed a Tiamat and then an infinite edge...I think thats the bonus crit one. Anyhow, with that much damage I decided on a Bloodthirster and then I just walked over their team. Quite funny to ult someone then kill them before they land.

Anansi

Adjudicator

09-03-2009

Interesting build, Mystikal, will try it out today.

One question though: are you not better off turning mana and hp regen pendants into Tiamat directly?

The more I play Malphite, the more I think he could play like a Sivir with less support and more pvp bang. I mean, he is a very solid pusher, and with Tiamat it must be really out of this world, but he doesn't need to flee 1v1 either, except probably against Jax (but then, who doesn't?).

EDIT: tried it. Tiamat still sucks so bad it makes babies cry. Sunfire capes stacking is good versus a melee-heavy team, other than that, I still prefer warmog+Atma.

Whiplash

09-04-2009

My first game with Malphite I went 17-2, and carried the team. I did a dps build tho, I went frost mallet first then attack speed boots then two phantom dancers and an infinity edge. Needless to say I attacked super fast and i crit for 600-700. I had like 72% crit chance at the end i believe, I would pretty much show up and kill everyone on the other team. I could also push towers in a matter of seconds. Oh yea I used my +55% crit dmg rune page as well, so it helped.

I tried the same build in the next game and had a bad lane (cryophoenix+annie) so I couldnt farm well at all. Didn't work out too well, especially since my teams soraka and taric didnt heal anyone cept for each other lol.

123456 ... 7