alistar, this build good?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Phyrexian Roony

08-21-2010

i start with a mana manipulator then go for lvl 1 boots and 2 hearts of gold. after that i level up my boots to boots of mobility (or merc if lots of cc) then i start innervating locket and buy another heart of gold. once locket is done i get soul shroud. at this point i have

innervating locket
boots of mob
soul shroud
3 hearts of gold

what do u guys think of this build? what do u guys buil on alistar?

DrunkenKnight

08-21-2010

1. If you need mana regen early on go Doran's ring.

2 You're a tank you need either Ninja Tabbies or Mercury treads. Boots of swiftness at most ( if you really wanna run a round HB people).

3 All the items are situational, but I would recommend Ageis of the legion. Banshee's and Thornmail (as basic situational items).

Siegebreaker

08-21-2010

Im a veteran Alistar player, and I have played him at a relatively high ELO.

Depending on their team, I go for a CDR. You are a tank, but Alistar is more a utlilty tank than a meat shield.
Masteries focus on cooldown reduction and speed, 9/0/21'

Meki Pendant+Pot
Chalice
Boots of mobility, nobody sees it coming, helps for initiation and ganking. Speeds up farming.
Frozen Heart brings me to about 34%
Aegis
Banshees

The game is normally over at Frozen heart. I have Magic rsist per level blues, health quints, MagPen reds and Hp/level healths.

Flash/ghost are summoner spells, for quick intiation and mobility.

An Alistar player needs to be aware, and have excellent positioning on make Alistar and effective force.

Have a good one!

Phyrexian Roony

08-21-2010

yeah i might try that.... but i do thiink that alistar is a bad farmer so i still might try the hearts of gold but yeah Seigebreaker im going to try ur buiild too thnx

FckMan

Recruiter

08-21-2010

lol hearts of gold, i used to use that. my runes are armor/armor pen/ mag resist and avarice(3 gold per 10) masteries at 0/21/9(greed being the last, making it 4 gold per 10 + 1 gold per sec = 14 gold per 10)

meki is the first i get + 2x health pot. ill finish later, game about to start.

DKraze

08-22-2010

Locket is bad and got nerfed to the ground. don't play allistar until riot buffs him or if you don't care to win. HIs passive is also quite useless with all the nerfs they gave him. his pulverize has a rediculous cool down, he's a mana eater, and allistar is highly depended on the competency of you teammates. And beleive me you can't play allistar with bad teammates...

FckMan

Recruiter

08-23-2010

Thats very true, Alistar is completely useless with a bad team. With a competent team this cow can dominate inside the battle and Im talking about 5 enemy champs packed in a bunch with you (alone) in the middle of it while your team surrounds it. He's hard to kill. In ranked matches I always see who they pick so I know whether Ill need cleanse or not. If so, Cleanse, Flash, Ultimate = 3 get-out-of-jail-free cards at your disposal(a possible 4 if you decide to use Banshee's Veil)

And if you dont need cleanse, ghost or teleport would be the next best thing. Preferrably Teleport. Got a Teemo or Heim on the team? Great, teleport on those. Ward the bushes, teleport on those. Surprise cow attack.

There are 3 set ups I have used that have been successful. And I have used him enough times (both with ****ty teams and competent teams) to know these sets up are good.

One is stacking Sunfires when realizing they are nothing but physical with one Thornmail in the mix. Since you'll be starting with a Meki Pendant(you are an idiot if you dont, mana pots just doesnt cut it..at least for me) Another 500 will score you Chalice of Harmony which will be allowing for slightly more mana regen than just 7.5 per 5 secs. Plus you can add more with runes. That would probably be all you need on an all physical team.

Another set up Ive used was Soul Shroud + Aegis to help my team in the process. Soul Shroud brings 15% CD for you and your team + mana regen. Aegis brings damage, mag resist, & armor for you and your team. Next items would be a situational one depending on enemies. Rylai's wouldnt be a bad idea, start the build. Giant Belt or Blasting Wand. +500 health + 80 AP with abilities slowing enemy movement down? That means Headbutt is slowing them down after a hit. Not bad at all. More AP means more health coming from Triumphant Roar. Another consideration is Glacial Shroud making for 30% cooldown(+Soul Shroud) + mana + armor. If it ever comes to it, upgrade to Frozen Heart. Sometimes I use stark's. Malady Jr. for everyone.
This set up allows for big mana regen. I mean use Triumphant Roar, when it cools down, you pretty much regenerated the amount it cost. If I remember correctly, Chalice + Soul Shroud = 19.5 mana per 5 + Chalice's passive.

----------

My current set up is starting with Meki Pendant(duh) and 2 health pots. Reason for Health Pots is because it allows me to grab Triumphant Roar at lvl 3 along with also saving mana from having to use Triumphant Roar so I can use it for Pulverize/Headbutt combos or merely to protect a teammate, preferrably a ranged teammate, so he/she can be aggressive without having to worry about getting hurt badly. That kind of partnership allows for easier farming. The fear is there and they will stand back especially when they see your Pulverize > Headbutt combo. Not to mention witnessing a giant cow flashing in their face(Flash is a must).

So the battle rages on, I usually dont recall until I have at least 1350 which gets me the Chalice of Harmony upgrade along with the Ninja Tabi(situational of course). Sometimes if the laning is in good shape I wont even head back at all and forget I had cash which usually ends up around 2.5-3k haha.

By the time you get Chalice and Tabis + Runes/Masteries = 49 mag resist/ 44 armor, i think at least 50% reduced damage apiece, I gotta get back to you guys on that.

Next item comes is Heart of Gold which will eventually be used into Raduin's Omen. Now dont get this right away. You are going to leech off Heart of Gold as much as you can. Runes + Masteries has pulling in 4 gold per 10 secs. The Heart now adds 5 making it 9 gold per 10 secs plus 1 per second. 19 GOLD PER 10! As you battle and rack in the assist count and farm and do what you can to push and crush towers, make that money, get the Catalyst for the Banshee's Veil build. Each level you achieve, more mana, more health. Next I go for Negatron Cloak(the other item necessary for the Veil's build) or Warden's Mail.

After all that, you have 2 slots left. Ive had games that lasted long and filled those. Items I have used have been Sunfire Cape, Guardian Angel, Thornmail, Rylai's, Zhonya's, Glacial Shroud, etc... Wouldnt be bad to go for AP at this point. Runes + Masteries + Chalice + Tabis + Banshee's + Omen = Pretty **** hard to kill not to mention Ultimate, Flash, & Cleanse. AP would be a good choice. Build on Rylai's starting with Giant Belt, just making a tad bit more unstoppable haha.

Well I hope that helps, Im pretty godlike when ppl actually listen to me and are competent. I like to tell them to follow me as I turret dive. Ill take on a turret and when enemy champs come at us, I tell them keep hitting the turrets, dont worry about enemies, I got them with Pulverize and Headbutts to keep them at bay while my team bust down that tower all the while im the one taking all the damage. After that, follow me again, next turret.

Ive had teams where they wont listen and they just all seperate to do their own thing. tsk tsk, you putting a perfectly great tank in a bad spot when you do stuff like this. This basically renders you useless, good to protect a lane, sure, but you cant be everywhere at once. The only time you go out alone, preferably to backdoor a turret is when you know you can take it down, hide, and then recall the hell on out. Having 5 attack you at once with no help means death, its just gonna take 10+ seconds for them to kill you. Basically all your items just prolong the time it takes to die haha. Now if you have cleanse, Ultimate, flash, and/or Guardian Angel, you could probably survive a gank as I have in the past, especially with Flash, with all them showers of stuns, slows, airbornes raining on me, took me 5 seconds to get to a wall and flash over it. Never cleanse before flash. Give yourself distance then cleanse everything.

Oh and here's a good tip while Pulverize and Headbutt are on cooldown. Since you are useless, just hit the weakest champ you see or hit them each. You still get paid for assisting. But when your cooldowns are just about to finally end, definitely with the Headbutt, start walking ahead of enemies, the weaker ones will start to flee. If you get ahead of them in time and as your Headbutt is finally cooled down, send them back to your team. Remember Alistar can be on cooldowns and hang out with the enemy for a good amount of time. Plus with all that chaos they probably dismissed you as weak and harmless as they are focusing on your team who are easier to take down, thats just means lesser damage upon you.

Masteries = 0/21/9(Greed is the last you get)

Runes = 13+ Armor(Seal) 13+ Mag. Resist(Glyph) 18+ Armor Pen.(mark) 3 Gold per 10 seconds.(quint)

Summoner Abilities = Flash, Cleanse(situational) (Teleport, Ghost)

You are guaranteed to get teh whole team going "WTF?! We gave our all to you and barely anything happened WTF?!" from time to time. I get that from time to time. Ive had several Malzahars complain about their Ultimate doing jack**** to me. I take showers using GangPlank's Ultimate. I get a tan from Ezreal's Ult. I take a bath in Vlad's Ult. Everything becomes weak. =P

FckMan

Recruiter

08-23-2010

I also forgot what a great protector he is. The only downside is when your team has low health and you just send Pulverize and Headbutt into cooldowns protecting them and they come to your rescue making your effort a waste of time. Im able to touch type pretty **** fast which is helpful since ventrillo is out of the question(also useful when im being gangbanged as i slap in a /laugh as I make a clean getaway after sucking in 3 different ultimates and 10 abilities from them). Im always asking them wtf you doing?! gtfo of here. They end up dying. DDDDUUURRRRR.

Early game: Try to partner with a range character. Be sure to let them know that at lvl 3 they will pretty much be protected to poke enemies at all cost, dont worry about minions, let ours bring their health down and last hit them for the cash. Well you are Alistar, you go ahead and hit minions while your partner is poking the enemies and always be ready to use Pulverize and Headbutt. In other words, tell your range partner to be aggressive. I always remind them that I am out of mana when that time comes. When you realize your range partner is doing very good damage to an enemy champ, you know who to flash > pulverize > headbutt or just pulverize > headbutt or headbutt > pulverize. Your partner will do the rest.

Any other time like sponging turrets or crushing the inhibs, while up to 3 enemies coming at ya, you really dont need to quickly type anything there, actions speak louder than words, just leave the turret and immediately begin pulverizing and headbutting them, your team will get the idea they are being protected and will continue to attack turret. In some situations turrets get crushed so fast that enemies arrived late allowing me to use Pulverize first so my team can get to business. Thats when I walk past some of the enemies and headbutt an unlucky victim.

When fleeing: See your team fleeing the scene of the crime? Stay put and make sure everyone gets out safely. See them losing life with no enemies around? Triumphant Roar, chances are they are dealing with an ignite. Its easy to protect your team due to the fact that when they are chasing them they are bunched up which is where Pulverize comes to play. If alone, that warrants a Headbutt.

You are a support tank not someone who grabs an Infinity Edge with Phantom Dancer. Alistar requires patience which doesnt suit well with alot of ppl. Why? Well patience is a virtue not shared by many. You are to support your team, sponge the damage and initiate fights. Malphite's Ultimate is a good fight initiation. Alistar? Well Flash > Pulverize is equivalent to that, the difference is that it doesnt do as much damage and the Flash takes much longer to cooldown than Malph's Ult. But does damage matter? Thats for your team to utilize. The cooldown? Oh well, it is what it is, doesnt mean you cant walk past them minions into their faces and stun them. Lets say a Ryze comes up on your face and snares you? Cleanse! walk up, Pulverize > Headbutt > Team comes in, DEAD. Done that countless times. Why is it easy? Ryze is busy throwing all that garbage in your face and you are just walking up to him to push his **** in.

You are not a killer. Your job is bring those kills on a silver platter to your team. Your score should read something like 3/6/22. the assist is always going to be the highest count while the kills/deaths will be low and random numbers.

I repeat, You are not a killer.

If Riot is to do anything they should make it to where whoever does the most damage to a turret they get the credit for destroying it, not some measly minion or a teammate who came 1 second late and got the last hit. If they did change this, man, all the turrets Ive punched in per game...in my ranked stats, I have 1.15. Highly bull**** if you ask me.