Best Melee DPS champion to learn?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

A Mudkip

04-03-2010

Hello

Currently I have ebeen enjoying playing as Ryze and Alistar. However, I would like to learn how to play a Melee DPS champion as friends I play with often choose these champions and are better with them than I am. Who is a good Melee DPS who is not too difficult to learn? I was leaning towards Yi but I heard he's not that great, so now I'm thinking Jax.

Any suggestions? Thanks

Silent Reaper

04-03-2010

Tristana is a very good choice, she has an increadibly strong late game potential and has an escape ability.

Jax is a exceptional hero too, but he will be nerfed again soon.

Sion is a very good Melee Dps unit which has amazing potential and can be used in both Low and High ELO (thoug he may require some practice before playing him properly)

Tryndamere is also a very good champion just like Sion, however he is much more difficult to be effective with and needs Full Masteries and Tier 3 Runes to be played properly as a DPS unit.
Panthon is a good champion, has a nice shield to resist against harassement early game, but I do not think he is viable high ELO. Of course, this is just from my experience, maybe he is....

Twitch, Shaco, need to be fed alot early game so they may a bit hard to play for you....

Warwick is a nice begginers Melee Dps and has many skills which compliment him, nicely.

Truely you have to decide what you want because every person is diffirent, and every person can play one champion better than another, so just try them all out!

Kajitii

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-03-2010

@Silent Reaper: Tristana and Twitch don't quite fit the description "melee".

Master Yi is one of those people that, when fed, means all the enemy squishies will be cowering in fear. He can't take too many hits himself however, and gets shut down by blinds and stuns.

Jax is probably your better bet, and it sure is annoying as hell seeing him dodge shyt continuously. And when he does dodge, watch him stun you. Overall a better pick.

EchoRex

04-03-2010

Jax, Udyr, Pantheon, Blitzcrank and Sion are your always legitimate choices for a melee DPS pick. They bring high damage, survivability, and CC all to the table.

Mundo, Poppy, Tryndamere, and Nasus are rather dependent upon what the rest of your team is picking for how effective they can become due to their short comings in CC, holes in their survivability, range/closing issues, or weak ability(and farming for Poppy) packages.

Yi is horrendous, and can only become a threat if fed, or allowed to farm for more than forty minutes.

Shaco and Warwick are great melee range assassins, but not very strong if they have to sit in melee range unless very fed/farmed.

Malphite can be played as a tank/DPS hybrid effectively, but is rather difficult to pull off consistently.

Xontix

11-08-2010

I find yi to be ok. Because if you can use runes to make him at the start have 1 attack per sec so you can focus on strength. But to those who say yi can take little damage. Just make a catylst protector.

DrDragun

11-08-2010

Yi is probably the easiest to play. Many melee DPS like Xin Zhao get items with lots of actives like Ghostblade and Randuins which new players will forget to use (I used to forget all the time). Trynda is hard to use early game but late game he gets easier though you have to remember to Cleanse. Jax and Olaf are hard all game with elaborate combos of positioning and skill spamming.

Eppa

11-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDragun View Post
Yi is probably the easiest to play. Many melee DPS like Xin Zhao get items with lots of actives like Ghostblade and Randuins which new players will forget to use (I used to forget all the time). Trynda is hard to use early game but late game he gets easier though you have to remember to Cleanse. Olaf is hard all game with elaborate combos of positioning and skill spamming.
Xin Zhao is a lot easier than YI since Yi is a lot squishier. I think Yi however is an excellent hero to play.

Defiantly viable until you are in an actual tournament. Meaning he is viable in arranged and soloQ top elo.

Sparkcaster

11-10-2010

Everyone forgets poor Dr. Mundo >.< He's got a decent learning curve, great for harassing, and can be built to dps/tank/hybrid.

nicosharp

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-10-2010

gragas/poppy/malphite/mundo - are all fun to play melee dps style.

Yi and Xin Xhao are probably the best two. Jax is a contender but is better with support like Janna+Zilean.
People really like Akali/Warwick/Shaco/Udyr as well.

Best Zod NA

11-10-2010

Nobody mentioned Garen yet? He's very easy to pick up and play.