Whats a good progression for teaching someone LoL

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fragglerock

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-02-2010

So I have some friends that have never played an RTS, have never played a game of this genre of course, and generally have never played any multiplayer computer games.

They're into LoL, they have fun, but it's also frustrating because its a lot to take in at once.

The most of which is hero selection... I'm having one of them play Master Yi simply because it doesn't involve a lot of ability use, or too many fancy tricks.

Any ideas of what others might be similarly easy, or only a small step up? Or better yet, can share any experience with good approaches on teaching people a completely foreign gaming concept?

Pwnacus Maximus

04-02-2010

Ashe is a great starting character. whenever i get my friends into LoL i try to practice with them in bot games, play a tank character so they can get most of the kills. i periodically give them tips and congratulate them when they do something right. it's just like training a dog, lol.

Kesshisan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

04-02-2010

Sivir, Ashe and Twitch are all really easy to play champions. I'd wager that Sivir is the easiest for the newcomers. Heimer is kinda fun, too. For low Elo his turrets are a big surprise, and such survivability can help them get the hang of the game much easier.

Towards the more mage like setup, try Nunu or Annie.

If you want a good tank, it's hard to go wrong with Cho'Gath or Sion.

While Yi may be a good "easy" choice, I'd try to keep them away from melee dps champions wherever possible. It's easier to learn the game at range.

Etyn

04-02-2010

sivir takes practice knowing when to use her rico shot and when not.

ashe is easy mode

yi is easy mode (but useless... do not use useless characters to teach with)

Ryze is easy mode once you teach them the proper order for his skills, and a 3 item build

teemo, useful, easy mode, built in map awareness even noobies can be effective with (just shroom the bushes)

I would def say teemo for newbies. (ad build, explain why / ratios )

pantheon is kinda on the easy side as well. though the ult takes some practice

PatMcGroyne

04-02-2010

Teach them how to survive... Biggest noob mistake is dying and feeding... Teach them with characters with good survival (Nidalee, Soraka, Shen, Alistar etc) and when they get better map awareness and overall skill then let them move on to less survivable characters. Make them take cleanse and flash... Unless they are gangplank then you don't really need cleanse.

P.S Survivability is the most important skill in this game... If you go 0/0/0 you atleast aren't hurting your team which is all you can ask from a new person.

bluff34

04-02-2010

try to get them using kayle with his bubble, heal, and slow hes got amazing survivability

Kesshisan

Recruiter

04-02-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etyn View Post
sivir takes practice knowing when to use her rico shot and when not.

ashe is easy mode
And Ashe doesn't take practice knowing when and how to use her ultimate?

Just because a champion takes skill to be their best, doesn't mean they can be really good in noobish hands. Both Sivir and Ashe require a good amount of skill to utilize their skills to the fullest. However, both Sivir and Ashe are incredibly easy to learn how to play decently.

Priamos

04-02-2010

If they're playing Ashe or Yi, be sure to tell them to play conservatively at first: when I began as Ashe, I used to feed Shacos and the like from being careless.

Ryze is another very easy character to play with, a 'faceroll' hero if you will.

Also, tell him to stay away from Shaco/Eve/Twitch/Kassadin. When players start the game, they have a tendency to scream 'blood for the blood god!' and mindlessly charge players attempting to gank them, which usually ends in death and feeding. At least this happened to me. Let them take in the game before playing one of these guys.

@above poster: Also, Sion is somewhat difficult to play, as he is quite vulnerable to CC, so a new player shouldn't take him.

zhenn

04-03-2010

sticking with one hero is the worst thing you can do as a newbie.

It's better to get familiarize with all the heroes first and then trying to go for a main.

Sure sticking with one hero will help you get a better win/lose ratio, but your friend's overall learning progression will be limited.

Twin Bauers

04-03-2010

teach them how to rofl stomp nubs with a variety of pubstomping champs. Then move them onto support/tank chars. Vary champs and play on both TT and SR. profit.