How to get out of low ELO

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nzo

06-21-2011

I posted this advice in another thread, and I figured it would be helpful for some people to have an easier time to find this.

First, my credientials. I went from 900 ELO on May 1st, and I am now 1400 ELO and have been climbing steadily. I haven't played ranked in a good while because of the looming reset. It is basically a waste of time and/or practice right now.

Build an Identity
Westrice has Akali. xPeke has Malzahar. I have Annie. You need to have a champion that you know how to play in your sleep. Most importantly, a champion that is great solo and great in team fights. This is who will carry you out of low ELO.

CS
This game is all about the money. Get in a practice game with your favorite champion, and you should practice hitting 200 CS in 20mins. Once you can do that, you should be able to get 150 CS in 20mins in a ranked game. The single most important stat during the laning phase is CS. The more CS, the more gold you have and the more items you will get.

Versatility
While you need to have your ace champion, you also need to be versatile. This means, you need to have 2-3 tanks you are comfortable playing. The same goes for junglers, carries, and support. My ace champion is Annie, but if we already have a Malzahar and Brand on the team, the last thing we want is me picking Annie. This is why I made an effort to be solid in the other roles in the game.

Pick Wisely
This goes hand-in-hand with versatility. Like I said, do not pick an AP when your team has 2 AP already. If you're picking 4th or 5th, it is your job to pick according to what your team needs. If you see you're picking 4th or 5th, you can often chat with your team to let them know you would like to play X champion. They might see that as a positive and pick around your pick to have a solid team. However, if they pick blindly, you need to pick based on need. If your team does not have a tank and/or a jungler, pick someone that can fill those roles or you will lose that game. Sometimes its better to pick a champion you don't enjoy and win, then picking a champion you enjoy and lose.

Be A LoL Nerd
This means.. you know every champion and their skillset. You know what every champion is trying to do to you. You know all their strengths and their weakness. You know what items they typically build, and what items you should build to counter them. This also means you should know the best possible build for your champion. This doesn't mean look at a guide and take their build. Most guides have item builds of 17000+ gold. This is not a likely build that will happen in a ranked game. You should consider an optimized build of less than 14000 gold while 15000 being the absolute maximum. You should also be fluid in your build knowing that it can change depending on enemy champions.

Support
Support your team includes:

1. Buy wards.
  2. Be positive... even to feeders. Being rude will only disrupt the team and lower your chances of winning. Players know when they're having a bad game, and they often never react positive to being yelled at in chat. However, if you support them they may be able to turn their game around. Offer to switch lanes if they are struggling. If you're mid, make an effort to gank the lane they're in so they have a chance to come back. Never.. ever.. rage on your team because it will not end up positive
  3. Always rotate to fights. Even if you are top and there is a team fight at Dragon, you need to run there. You might not make it in team for the fight, but you may be able to catch the enemy fleeing or save your teammates when they are fleeing. You can assist your team with dragon if they won the fight, or gank and/or deny at dragon if your team lost. Always rotate!
  4. Use resources wisely. If your jungling and don't need Blue.. give it up to a teammate. Red buff should only go to a jungler for the first ganks of the game. After that, red needs to go to a carry every time even if its still during a laning phase. Red buff to a carry will give that carry a huge edge in a lane and help them win that lane. If you're a jungler/tank/support, do not take kills. Only go for the kill-shot if you do not think your carries will be able to get the kill. It is more important that an AP or AD get the kill than a support or tank. I don't know how many times I've heard my friends complaining that they went 18/X/X on "inset tank/support name here" but their team lost. It is not important to get fed when you're a support/tank role, its important that you get your carries fed.

Minimap... Minimap.. Minimap
MIA. The crutch of an LoL player. While MIA calls are useful, you should never rely on them. A minimap gives you the same view that all your teammates have. You should be in the habit of looking at your minimap every 5 seconds. You should know when lanes are MIA before the MIA call even comes. I cannot express how important this is to the improvement of anyone's game. Once you get in the habit of using the minimap, you know when team fights are happening before any pings or calls. In solo queue, you often do not get any notice. Your map awareness will improve dramatically. You'll be able to assist, gank, avoid ganks, and rotate with efficiency.

Hope these help

Sir On The Edge

Recruiter

06-21-2011

More than just low ELO, most of this is very good information for anyone at any level. +1

sehakoziel

06-21-2011

Although I agree with the advice, it is often not possible to perform some of it.

As an example, CS is something you do when you have time to spare. When your teammates are failing their lanes, you are forced to support them and your farming time has been severely expunged.

Buying wards seems pointless when your teammates don't react to the mini map. All it does is cost you more gear, and then you can carry them even less.

Running to fights leads to even less CS, and quite often means you end up late, saving someone and then dying yourself instead (this scenario happens to me most often).

MIA calls are for noobs, that being said I've learned if I don't call them, the noobs on my team die because they are completely oblivious to the mini map or any lane status other than the one they are currently in.

All in all, good advice, but it won't help you get out of elo hell, I firmly believe. It certainly can't help you vs leavers/feeders. They will do what they do no matter how good you are.

sefy98

06-21-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by sehakoziel View Post
Although I agree with the advice, it is often not possible to perform some of it.

As an example, CS is something you do when you have time to spare. When your teammates are failing their lanes, you are forced to support them and your farming time has been severely expunged.

Buying wards seems pointless when your teammates don't react to the mini map. All it does is cost you more gear, and then you can carry them even less.

Running to fights leads to even less CS, and quite often means you end up late, saving someone and then dying yourself instead (this scenario happens to me most often).

MIA calls are for noobs, that being said I've learned if I don't call them, the noobs on my team die because they are completely oblivious to the mini map or any lane status other than the one they are currently in.

All in all, good advice, but it won't help you get out of elo hell, I firmly believe. It certainly can't help you vs leavers/feeders. They will do what they do no matter how good you are.
Anyone new to the game ignore every single comment this guy has said. You seriously think wards are pointless and that mia calls are for noobs? Mia calls are a reminder just in case someones to busy with farming to notice someone missing. They're a courtesy. they are definitely not for noobs, and it does help you against feeders and leavers by making you a better player.

OP has solid advice. Remember your trying to coordinate 5 people playing with limited communications. Always ping for mias too. You have no idea how many times i'm zoned and don't even read mias but hearing the pings wakes me right up.

Daniellynet

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-21-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nzo View Post
Hope these help
Build an Identity - I got my Cait, and Akali.
CS - Doing it pretty good, but can definitely improve.
Versatility - Yes, hate when people are only able to play ONE champ. So annoying.
Pick Wisely - Yup, helps a lot.
Be A LoL Nerd - Over 2k play time, not a big problem here.
Support - Very important. I won several games by being nice, and lost a lot of games because of my team mates not being able to stay shut, and just kept flaming the baddies on my team. Also, wards help A LOT. And as a support champ I try to get at least 2+ wards each time I recall.
Minimap... Minimap.. Minimap - I need to practise on this, I try to keep a good eye on the map, and when I can I call mia for other lanes, but sometimes, ****, I just forget looking and **** usually happens.

Also, you forgot one part:
Support players:
Never, EVER take CS from the carry/AP person in your lane. You don't need CS as much as the carry does. I hate when the support champion takes my CS and I can't really carry then.

sehakoziel

06-21-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefy98 View Post
Anyone new to the game ignore every single comment this guy has said. You seriously think wards are pointless and that mia calls are for noobs? Mia calls are a reminder just in case someones to busy with farming to notice someone missing. They're a courtesy. they are definitely not for noobs, and it does help you against feeders and leavers by making you a better player.

OP has solid advice. Remember your trying to coordinate 5 people playing with limited communications. Always ping for mias too. You have no idea how many times i'm zoned and don't even read mias but hearing the pings wakes me right up.
I love wards. If I'm on a good team, they are life savers. If I'm on a bad team, they do very little to help since they are too bad for it to matter. Maybe you're not getting the same teammates I am... I dunno. Here's an idea: (They're getting dragon! Ping Ping Ping, oh wait, 3 of you are dead again... nvm).

MIA's are for noobs. Yes I seriously think that. You're a noob if you think otherwise. They are a courtesy at best, but if you're playing _ranked_, you should definitely NOT require them. You should already know what is going on in every corner of the map. Pinging is definitely better at waking noobs up, I agree with you there. For whatever reason it wakes people up. As for your being zoned, that is a flaw in your game you need to fix. Take my advice or leave it, I really don't care.

Vreith

06-21-2011

good advice

Map awareness 1st for those whom can't yet. (its not hard)
which leads you to wards. (placing well is another small skill to pick up too)

problem is noob's need to be decent at the 1st, in order to successfully achieve the 2nd.
from which in ranked low elo there are many whom don't have map awareness, like at all. also do not know how to rotate lanes and etc.

but everyone got to start somewhere.