[GAME MECHANICS] Armor Pen, Crit Chance, and Crit Damage

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AllTimeNoobie

04-01-2010

Keywords: Armor Penetration, Armor Pen, Critical, Critical Chance, Critical Strike, Critical Damage, Calculations

Introduction

It's rather obvious that they all have it's uses at difference scenario, but what are those scenarios? and which is better? It's really hard to get a full understanding without going through bunch of variable and understanding DPS.... So most people would probably believe that these things come to you in experiences after hundreds if not thousands of games played... However, I'm more of a numbers & theory type of person. I'll bring it down to you with some simple and understandable results.

PS: I'm no guide writer and this is not "fully" complete in terms of mathematically point of view, but IMO it's good enough for me. And I'd like to spend rest of the time on playing and having fun. Anyone is welcome to continue this work if they want.
----------------------------------------------------------
Theory - Before we start, there's a few game mechanics we need to know...

• Effective Hit Point - Back in Dota, we learned something known as EHP. It's the real hit point after multiplying the amount of armor you have. For every point of armor, your effective health is increase by exactly 1% of your max hit point. THANK YOU Riot Games, no more of those WC3 1 point armor = 6%*HP bs...
  • Damage - Duh
  • Critical Chance - Duh... Chance to deal a critical strike (default at 2.0x)
  • Critical Damage - Oh yea thanks Riot Games again... critical strike modifier... maximum around 3.2x'ish (runes+mastery+Infinity Edge) atm?
  • Armor Penetration - for every 1 point of armor penetration, the target's armor is reduced by 1 point before your damage applies. Applied before percentage reduce (like Last Whisper)

Equations
  • Non-Critical Damage = Attack Damage displayed on your screen
  • Critical Damage (Max Hit) = Attack Damage * 1+critical chance/100%
  • Remainders = EHP minus damage done

Conditions
  • Numbers are Arbitrary... meaningless? They only serve as an approximation!
  • Two Minor Categories, Non-Crit vs. Critical
  • Two Major Categories, Crit Damage vs. Armor Pen
    • Full Primary Tier-3 Runes of Critical Damage on Purple & Red sums to 33% critical damage.
    • Full Primary Tier-3 RUnes of Armor Penetration on Purple & Red & Combat Mastery sums to 35 Armor Penetration
  • Attack Damage varied: 150, 200, 250
  • Critical Chance varied: 5%, 25%, 50%
  • Defender's Hit Point varied: 250, 300
  • Defender's Armor varied: 50, 100, 150, 200
Calculations

This had to deal with at least 4 different variables at any given time to yield meaningful results IMO... although I was too lazy to do a statisical analysis of variance and extra degree of freedom, I did get some interesting results...

TAKE A GLANCE AT THE CHART

Observations
  • It turns out that 1% critical chance = 1% damage, as expected (we knew that from WOW... good thing there's no hit rating in this game).
  • From Remaining Hit Points, it can be observed that Armor Penetration is always better at non-critical scenario. However, It's only better than when the target have mid-to-low armor values.
  • Critical Damage is only more effective than armor penetration build when fighting enemy with higher armor value (150+).
  • This makes sense since critical damage is same regardless of target's armor, but 1 point of armor penetration is 1% when the target has 100 armor, but it's only 0.5% when the target has 200 armor. In that case, you really need last whisper or bloodrazor.

Conclusions
  • Critical Chance - This thing is only good if you believe on luck! But statistically, it' yields 1% damage all the time. Where as critical damage would yield less or equal to 1% damage. And Armor Penetration would only yield more than 1% if the target gets negative armor value.
  • Critical Damage - good at helping you record your largest critical; giving you more burst damage if you know you can crit (like shaco or have over 50% crit chance).
  • Armor Penetration - Most effective in non-critical scenario.
Last Words

It really depends on the player's play style. I'd say all three are good and you should be creative by making your own builds... but I would be lying... because, personally, I like Critical Damage the best because I love seeing big numbers. However, seems that Armor Penetration is most effective.

If Anyone would like to continue on this work, what can be done is by using MATLAB or softwares alike and mapping out real values from 1-to-10000 for all variables, and find out that optimal value within the multi-dimension matrix.

KEWLKATZ

04-01-2010

Quote:
However, I'm more of a number-theory type of person.
You obviously do not understand what this means.

AllTimeNoobie

04-01-2010

BTW... this is essentially the same idea as http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...ad.php?t=70173 by EnderA. I wasn't aware of this post before I made mine... I introduced hit point into the calculation and critical vs. non-critical situation.

And I since the pop-up text only shows the damage dealt, you really wouldn't be seeing bigger numbers using critical damage.

AllTimeNoobie

04-01-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEWLKATZ View Post
You obviously do not understand what this means.
You're right, I don't... I've been stucking on Fermat's Little Theorem... but here... I meant it as numbers & theory...

NeedMoreGold

04-01-2010

Does the OP, or anyone else for that matter have a chart or a link to something that shows the Armor and Magic Resistance scaling from number to number. Odd request, but was curious to look at one.

Hiperon

04-02-2010

First of all - sorry for my bad English (can you check it and make it correct? I will edit as fast as will be able to write it good) but I have important questions:

1. Can we penetrate enemy armor under zero?
    (penetrate armor - with brutalizer passive or sword of Divine Active)
  2. Can we reduce enemy armor under zero?
    (reduce armor - with black cleaver)
  3. I belive, that reduce armor and penetrate armor can be diffrent. Maybe i can reduce enemy armor under zero, can't penetrate it under zero, and, bad for me, reduce armor is first? Am i right?
  4. Formula allow armor under zero: "Damage Reduction = Total Armor / (100 + Total Armor)" So, with armor "-20" damage reduction = -0,25 we will make 125 dmg instead 100 dmg. With enemy armor "-50" damage reduction = -1 (200 damage instead of 100). But formula DON'T allow armor = -100 and make armor under -100 nonsens. So, if it possible to make armor under zero, it is possible to make it -100? (i think, that there is just not enough items to do it).

DivA

Adjudicator

04-02-2010

A couple pieces of information that you've missed out on/messed up that could've completely jumbled your calculations.

1. I'm 95% sure that % armor reduction (Last Whisper) applies BEFORE numerical armor penetration, so it is possible to make EFFECTIVE enemy armor 0 for your attacks.

2. I'm 100% sure that you cannot reduce enemy armor value below 0 through PENETRATION, only through REDUCTION (Black Cleaver). Reduction reduces enemy armor value so it obviously applies first, making the stacking of Black Cleaver and Last Whisper/Armor Pen pointless unless Black Cleaver reduces enemy armor below 0, because since Last Whisper is applied after Black Cleaver and is %-based, it gives negative returns if Black Cleaver's reduction has taken place already. That is why I always get Last Whisper with mass Armor Pen runes (quints and mastery included), and stop it at that- even if the game goes 60 minutes and enemies have 400 armor.