Minimap Champion Portraits

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Redkaos

06-22-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayven View Post
I hear you. You want more bang for your buck. When you purchase skins, you want the option to see them anywhere your portrait is shown, but not necessarily impact the experience for others. Would that still be as valuable if only you could see those images?
The fact that there are a few websites that already let you get custom skins wich many people download and only you can see proves this point.

It is valuable to some people, personally i dont find it particualry interesting but i understand why they want it. I think its a good idea but as you say only for local purposes.

Adding this option would mean getting the portraits for each skin you own (or all the skins).

Hey Aqualung

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-23-2011

even the small things make a huge difference. ex: blue border around your health as opposed to green like everyone else

Amariithynar

07-15-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayven View Post
Thanks for the suggestion.

It's vitally important to gameplay that minimap icons are instantly recognizable so we likely won't be showing skin images there, even for yourself. Scoreboard is another place where it could negatively impact readability.
I would actually disagree wholeheartedly on this. When i look at the minimap, I expect to see a face icon that matches the portrait in the upper left corner of the screen, which i expect to match the splash art that I was shown when we were loading into the game.

boourns

UI Designer

07-15-2011
3 of 3 Riot Posts

@amariithynar

Sorry to tell you that this is very unlikely to change. We already have a lot of champions for new players to learn. Adding the burden of knowing all the skins as well is very confusing. We keep the icons and portraits consistent with the original character so that even if someone is playing a skin you can tell what the character is.

We're actively working on showing skin images in more places, but in the game UI is one of those places were we strongly believe it doesn't make sense.

Fresh Hound

07-15-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
@amariithynar

Sorry to tell you that this is very unlikely to change. We already have a lot of champions for new players to learn. Adding the burden of knowing all the skins as well is very confusing. We keep the icons and portraits consistent with the original character so that even if someone is playing a skin you can tell what the character is.

We're actively working on showing skin images in more places, but in the game UI is one of those places were we strongly believe it doesn't make sense.
Aren't they referring to the bottom left portrait icon, not the one on the minimap nor the one for health/mana/ult indicators. Since its only visible to you and its already easily mod-able I really see the confusion aspect here. If you bought the skin that is.

I actually like this suggestion because I love to play sivir however sivirs default portrait makes me crack out laughing with her mouse mouth and I would definitely buy a skin just to change her portrait down there.

Welp I just reread it and noted most of them weren't referring to that at all however I still feel it would be a nice bit of polish if this happened.

Ruyi Jingu Bang7

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-15-2011

Quote:
@amariithynar

Well could it be possible to have option to change the map pictures to mirror your skin. So new players don't have to worry about it; but older players who know champs can still use it... or even just to see themselves.

Hahke

07-15-2011

I would be happy if when people when to your champions page, people could see a gallery of the skins and champions that you own.

It would also be nice if in the bottom left hand corner it would show your skin's close-up portrait since it doesn't negatively impact anybody. Not on the mini-map. With the new spectator mode not showing that bottom left hand corner of a champions portrait it shouldn't be too dangerous?

Hey Aqualung

07-15-2011

Quote:
@amariithynar

how about skin images on the portrait you see on the bottom left? i want to see my cottontail teemo

LuluBella

07-16-2011

you could always make it an option to turn on skin portaits, depending on the player

Trainline240

11-17-2011

Okay, here's an answer to the problem that in my opinion makes sense. If it will confuse new players, then have the Champion name in small font underneath the picture. That will eliminate confusion because the name will be the same regardless of the skin. I would love to see a headshot of Spellthief Lux instead of regular Lux everytime I killed someone or on the minimap. Putting the name of the champion underneath the picture will negate any confusion and may even help players who say can't remember which one is Ashe and which one is Soraka if they are playing top lane against bots and if they jump into PVP and can't recall Tryndamere vs. Master Yi, knowing they just both have swords. They look at the minimap and it would tell them right there underneath the little headshot icon. It would be a win-win situation. That's just my suggestion though.