Minimap Champion Portraits

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DrePlays

06-16-2011

Hi,
When I play with a purchased skin the portrait on the minimap stays as the original champion portrait. Can this be fixed?
Thank you.

Verdinate

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-19-2011

It's not a bug at all. The portrait is the original one, so new or original players won't think it's a new champion. You need to see that is the champion, because there are skins I don't even know, that if I will see them I won't recognize the champion.

Rayven

UX Designer

06-22-2011
1 of 3 Riot Posts

Thanks for the suggestion.

It's vitally important to gameplay that minimap icons are instantly recognizable so we likely won't be showing skin images there, even for yourself. Scoreboard is another place where it could negatively impact readability.

Dynark

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-22-2011

Plz make it optional

I am quite disappointed in some cases.
It would add a lot of depht to skins.

edit:
Downvotes? I guess you do not understand - the default may be the standard icons.
But I (and at least the OP) would really like a checkbox in the settings, where we - for us - can set the minimap icons fitting to the skins we see.
(that is what optional means)

Nerf Hammer

06-22-2011

Minimap faces too big. Can't search for Nidalee traps without stepping in one.

Rayven

UX Designer

06-22-2011
2 of 3 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynark View Post
Plz make it optional

I am quite disappointed in some cases.
It would add a lot of depht to skins.

edit:
Downvotes? I guess you do not understand - the default may be the standard icons.
But I (and at least the OP) would really like a checkbox in the settings, where we - for us - can set the minimap icons fitting to the skins we see.
(that is what optional means)
I hear you. You want more bang for your buck. When you purchase skins, you want the option to see them anywhere your portrait is shown, but not necessarily impact the experience for others. Would that still be as valuable if only you could see those images?

Hey Aqualung

06-22-2011

on the minimap, its understandable that they use the original. however, on the portrait on the bottom left, they should use the skin's portrait. no one else sees it but you anyway

Dynark

06-22-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayven View Post
I hear you. You want more bang for your buck. When you purchase skins, you want the option to see them anywhere your portrait is shown, but not necessarily impact the experience for others. Would that still be as valuable if only you could see those images?
In my opinion, I respect that others may be used to the minimap icons they know and I do not want to give them a hard time, by skins that may be confusing.
I do not buy skins for gameplay reasons.
I consider myself as someone who likes the ingame depth.

tl;dr:
I would really like a feature like that even if no other player in my game has this option active.

RoflMyPancakes

06-22-2011

Quote:
It's vitally important to gameplay that minimap icons are instantly recognizable
They're not, for colorblind people. (1 pixel thick borders with indistinguishable colors). Only mentioning this because it's kind of a slap in the face to read this line.

But anyway, I agree. It doesn't make sense to have to know a ton of extraneous map icons just because of skins. Adding it as an optional feature would end up being a waste of time each time they make a skin. A small waste of time, but still a waste of time.

Jorick

06-22-2011

Quote:
I think a lot of people would still like it even if only they could see the different images. Look at the popularity of custom skins for an example of similar niche popularity.