Doran's Items: Why so Popular?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

gun fu panda

04-01-2010

Very few champions fill all 6 slots out. Doran's items are some of the most cost effective items in the game. You don't lose anything unless you "have" to sell it.

Drewbear

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-01-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Irwin View Post
Dorans items rule in TT. No other item is as strong out of the gate except maybe ruby crystal for some champs
This.

I've become a fan of Doran's on TT only. I've grown up from when I used to use Doran's on SR. The main reasons being, Doran's can give you a little of everything. This is extremely helpful for the early game aspects. Also, on TT, you can hope to end the game before you ever need the 6th slot the Doran's is taking up.

OctopusDropkick

04-01-2010

The bottom line nitty gritty;

Doran items give you a useful selection of stats for little money. These stats will always be useful. You cannot upgrade them, true, but you're also not going to be playing a game where you use all of our six slots. At least in higher tiers where people don't feed.

Lastly, their selection is very lane focused while granting a nice bulk of buffer HP.

GuyGin

04-01-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObLiViOn2011 View Post
Most people think Doran's are good early game. And I guess they are. But I never use them because:

-You can't upgrade anything out of it.
-You have to sell it for better items (you'll lose about 200-250 Gold.)
-The health boost and stat boost is hardly a huge difference. This will save you from at most 2 autoattacks and/or 1 Ability.

I play better without the use of Doran...
Just to address your points in turn:
1 - So what if they cant upgrade? They are more cost efficient than any other combination of items for the stats you get. Just a quick example:
Dorans ring = 5 mp/5, 10 ap, 120 health 2 of them is 10 mp/5, 20 ap, 240 health for 870 gold.
To get close to that with other items you would need 1 book = 20 ap, 1 ruby crystal = 180 health, and 1 meiki pendant = 7mp/5 And the cost of those items? 1295g AND the stats are lower (particularly the mp/5 and hps)

Dorans are essentially the MOST EFFICIENT way to spend your early game money. Period.

2 - if your games are lasting so long that you need all 6 slots for your uber items, chances are that the 200g you lost from selling dorans doesn't really matter. I mean, we're talking about spending 15-20,000 gold, are you really going to complain about losing 200? Further, if your games are lasting that long, you are probably doing something wrong.

3 - Saving you from 1 skill or 2 or 3 autoattacks can often be the difference between getting first blood and being first blood.

In short, if you're going to sit there and tower hug for the first 8 levels dorans might not be the best investment. But on games where you have to play aggressively early, they're generally hugely beneficial.

As mentioned by some others, they often aren't as important on some chars, Regrowth on morde for example, or I go with other items on Malphite because the HP is less important laning due to his passive. still. Dorans are the best stats / gold you can buy.

PatMcGroyne

04-01-2010

Doran's=first blood a lot of them time... As shen you can tower dive at lvl 1 if you have flash with dorans shield.

Calexisana

04-01-2010

Also you're forgetting that some champs are simply not as item dependent as others. I get Doran's shield on Jax for the early regen because one of his best items is Guinsoo's which is very cheap. Getting forced out of a lane vs forcing someone out of a lane allows a Doran's to pay for itself. Also unless you're tanky I would recommend Doran's on TT if you aren't going elixir or crystal.

Flapjacks

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-01-2010

Dorans items ftw.

PhoenixBomb

04-01-2010

Doran's items are best on champions that are at an early game disadvantage (some casters), or champions that want to stress one of their early game strengths (Jax, Mord, Mundo). Some champions do fine without them because they have enough tools to stay in the lane (stealth characters, certain tanks).

It's all subjective, but I will say that Doran's items should be used on TT by pretty much everyone.

Whatev

04-01-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixBomb View Post
Doran's items are best on champions that are at an early game disadvantage (some casters), or champions that want to stress one of their early game strengths (Jax, Mord, Mundo). Some champions do fine without them because they have enough tools to stay in the lane (stealth characters, certain tanks).

It's all subjective, but I will say that Doran's items should be used on TT by pretty much everyone.
For Mundo it depends to some degree on how soon you think you'll need a Spirit Visage.

Path0gen

04-01-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Irwin View Post
Dorans items rule in TT. No other item is as strong out of the gate except maybe ruby crystal for some champs
Agreed,

I find that doran's items are superior in TT due to all the stress TT puts on early-mid game strength and the normal result that the game has ended before you need to replace the item. Every game on TT i play I can maybe fill 4-5 item slots and that includes my dorans item.

Although someone stated earlier that mord is better with regrowth rather than dorans (idk how he figured that out) but I use dorans and a health potion instead. Preference I suppose.