Doran's Items: Why so Popular?

12345 ... 6
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Supreme1337

04-01-2010

I've noticed that a lot of players are getting one of Doran's items as their first item. Why? In my opinion they're ****, because you can't upgrade them in to anything else. They might give you a very slight advantage when you're going for first blood, but any smart player won't die that early. I prefer getting either Meki Pendant, Regrowth Pendant, or Ruby Crystal. What are your thoughts on the subject?

roninsm

04-01-2010

They're just better items for laning. Yea, you can't upgrade them, but the laning advantage they give you should make up for that.

PackMan97

04-01-2010

They are strong early, and if you can force your opponent out of the lane before the first creep wave, you've already gotten a return on your investment by gaining a level advantage.

Eat dat chammich

04-01-2010

Three valuable stats for less than the cost of the items you listed. If you chosen champion has any early game weaknesses, Doran's items are likely to cover them. Not all champs need one though. Especially if you Rune/Mastery yourself to take away early game weaknesses.

Supreme1337

04-01-2010

I don't need Doran's items to force people out of the lane... I rely on abilities for that, not auto attacking...

Diglio

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-01-2010

The Doran's Items are just more useful during the first 5-10 minutes of the game in my opinion.

Yes, you can't upgrade them, but it doesn't matter. For example, I would rather have the bonus armor, health and health regen from the dorans shield rather than just 1 of those stats.

However, If you have a lane partner than can heal, than I would usually skip getting a Doran's Shield and pickup an item such as a Ruby Crystal

Xano74

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-01-2010

They are good starter items. Lower levels, it is more important to farm than to get a lucky kill. I always used to get Dorin's Ring with Zilean because having +10 extra AP didn't do much if I didn't have the mana regen of Dorin's to spam it.

It gives heroes a little bit of everything at the beginning, which they can sell later.

I don't usually get anything other than the Ring though, I don't find the sword or shield very helpful.

OmniOblivion

04-01-2010

Most people think Doran's are good early game. And I guess they are. But I never use them because:

-You can't upgrade anything out of it.
-You have to sell it for better items (you'll lose about 200-250 Gold.)
-The health boost and stat boost is hardly a huge difference. This will save you from at most 2 autoattacks and/or 1 Ability.

I play better without the use of Doran...

EasymodeX

04-01-2010

Quote:
I don't need Doran's items to force people out of the lane... I rely on abilities for that, not auto attacking...
Then you're not trying hard enough.

Any player that doesn't pack a Doran's item better have some serious laning strengths / a very specific laning strategy if your opponents don't suck.

Edit:

Meki Ryze vs. Doran's Ryze? Doran's wins.

Crystal Ryze vs. Doran's Ryze? Doran's wins.

Longsword Ashe vs. Doran's Ashe? Doran's wins.

Meki Zilean vs. Doran's Zilean? Doran's wins.

Regrowth Mord vs. Doran's Mord? Actually, this is a rare case where Regrowth would win due to several specific mechanics.

Regrowth Shen vs. Doran's Shen? Doran's wins.

Zombie Irwin

04-01-2010

Dorans items rule in TT. No other item is as strong out of the gate except maybe ruby crystal for some champs

12345 ... 6