Tips for Last Hitting

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

dbdavis

03-31-2010

I've started to play some heroes like Veigar where last hitting mobs early in the game is important for powering up spells, and money of course, but I've found that I'm not really that good at it. It seems to take me too long to find a mob with the right amount of health left and then half the time the shot either goes off too late and the mob is already dead or too early and doesn't kill it. Also while I'm thinking about all this I'm not spending as much time as I should watching what other heroes are doing. So I was wondering if some more experienced players had tips or tricks for last hitting mobs? Thanks.

dovvntempo

03-31-2010

well most of it's just experience. But here are some tips

* Don't just focus on one minion. If minion a looks like it will be difficult to last hit (because its too close to enemy champions or your turret minion is firing at it ), choose another target.

* With champions like annie or veigar who have nukes that were meant to last hit with, utilize your auto attack for a 1,2 combo. Auto attack once and then immediately use Q on the minion.

* Don't get tunnel vision. Keep an eye on all champions and their movement patterns, whether they are moving in for harassing or for kills or whatever. You can pay attention to 2 champions and a minion with dropping health easily.

* STAY WITHIN RANGE of your target minion. When the time is right to auto attack you don't want to be walking to it. To be within range of the minion but not attack it, just pace back and forth.

* if you make a mistake and press 'a' on a minion that you dont want to attack, you can quickly cancel it by attacking another.

* look at the shots of caster minions as they hit your target minion. You will get a sense for how much dmg each little attack does and can judge when to strike.

** on another note... you're not the only one looking to last hit. Your enemies are doing the same. So once you get comfortable with last hitting YOUR minions, pay attention to the health bars of your own and you'll see that even very defensive champions will pop on in to get the minion kill. You can harass them with auto attacks or abilities at that point. If they become hesitant about last hitting, you made your own job that much easier.

Fuz2o

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-31-2010

I guess just keep practicing. It isn't something that becomes perfected overnight.

Obviously try to keep their minions away from your tower, since it is infinity harder to time last hits when your tower is two shotting things.

You don't always have to auto attack. Just run behind your minions a bit and let them chip away at the enemy mob HP. Once it drops to a respectable level, send in the last hit. This will keep you mobile and harder to harass by whoever you are laning against.

Toxic72

03-31-2010

Practice. Maybe get closer if the animation takes too long to reach the target. Can't really give advice unless you're doing something terribly wrong. On the same note, if anyone has watched HotshotGG play as Nidalee in mid, I still don't understand how he delays the animation when he last hits.

Sarpati

03-31-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic72 View Post
On the same note, if anyone has watched HotshotGG play as Nidalee in mid, I still don't understand how he delays the animation when he last hits.
I tried watching that to see what you're talking about, and well... the video quality didn't help. Regardless, if you mean where he stops the animation, he presses S for it. You can also use that to prevent auto attacks while standing still. Which, of course, isn't a good idea unless there's nobody around or you're fighting downies, but does help in timing last hits.