An Interactive "Who Dunnit?" Mystery

1234511 ... 23
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nº 5

06-13-2011

[moved from "General Discussion" Forum]
This community-fueled adventure is inspired by hyliandanny's brilliant thread.
---
You are the first to arrive on the scene. A match between Noxus and Demacia had been scheduled today to resolve a conflict regarding a new rice tariff. Ten individuals reportedly entered the Summoning Chamber. The doors were customarily sealed for security and privacy. Seven hours have passed; no Summoner has exited.

To the North are two heavy oak doors with corroded brass handles.
To the South is a wall shrouded in shadow.
You are currently standing beside an oval of eerily vacant platforms.

Quote:
Walk South.
You walk South, away from the comforting torchlight. Your League-issued boots echo against the cold marble. Upon cursory examination, the wall appears to be a standard wall. It's too dark to make out any details.

"Well, what was I expecting?"

Why does the Bureau of Investigation assign you the stupidest cases? The tips of your fingers twitch with irritation. You're trying to quit, but you could really use a cigarette right now. I can overcome my weaknesses. You repeat this three times according to the advice in Lee Sin's newest book: Master Yourself, Master The Enemy. However, the urge to reach into your jacket pocket is overwhelming.
---
You are standing before the South wall which is shrouded in darkness.
An oval of eerily vacant platforms dominates the center of the room.

Quote:
Who cares about Lee Sin's book? Give in to the dark side! Maybe you can use the light from the cigarette to examine the wall more closely?
"I'm sorry, my blind monk mentor. I'll save your sage advice for another day."

You rifle through the pockets of your suit jacket. After a moment of fumbling in the darkness, you retrieve a carton of Bilgewater Smokes and a silver lighter. You draw a cigarette from the box with your teeth and light it with practiced ease. It's time to take a second look at this wall!

There are a series of scratches in the granite face. You look closer and realize that these are Runeterran characters! Someone has etched a message into the rock.

"The Truest Opponent Lies Within," you read. For some reason, that phrase seems familiar.

[Setting]
You are standing by a message that has been carved into the South wall.
An oval of eerily vacant platforms dominates the center of the room.

Quote:
Rifle through your pockets and identify everything you have. Also, the butler did it.
Quote:
examine platforms
Quote:
I go north and open the doors.
" ****, I bet this is all my butler's--"
A butler? You wish you had one! The Institute of War underpays its detectives. Maybe you should have accepted that job in Piltover last year instead.

You are carrying an ID badge, a blank scroll, an Endless Rage Endless Ink quill, and a dagger that you bought for 420 gold. A techmaturgical camera fits snugly in your breast pocket. You take a quick snapshot of the wall etchings.

Perhaps there is evidence from the victims on the platforms? You eagerly scrutinize the marble for traces of blood, saliva, or stray hairs. However, you uncover nothing. How disappointing.

It's time to leave this scene. You walk through the northern doors and find yourself at the end of a long hall. Each side is flanked by five doors. The opposite side of the hall leads to a winding staircase that descends to another level.

You mentally assign numbers to each door. Hopefully there will be nothing of interest behind these doors because your stomach is growling for a lunch break.

Quote:
Door 3 carefully at first then bust it open cop style.
"Three is a lucky number." You stealthily approach the door and press your ear against the wood. No noise is audible from the other side. Then, with a mighty kick you bust open the door, yelling "League Bureau of Investigation! Hands on your heads!"

Unfortunately, no one is here to appreciate your heroic display. What a shame.

Quote:
Ask No One what they thought of my heroic display.
"Why does no one appreciate my heroic display...?" you mutter. You pause in the doorway to jot down a few notes. The Endless Rage Endless Ink quill is still under a 30 day warranty but it has delivered excellent results thus far.

While you are distracted, a portly pig slams into your side. He is wearing a very unfashionable blue scarf. Several warts have sprouted from his nose. His misaligned teeth are yellowed with plaque.

"F-finally, the authorities have showed up!" huffed the hog. "I was waiting in Summoner's Rift with my wares but the Champions never arrived. Waited there for several hours by my turret! Terrible business today. I'll be filing a report with the Institute of War requesting compensation for my precious time!"

The unsightly shopkeeper began to rage about past grievances including the permanent removal of his popular Innervating Locket item. "Used to make a fortune off of those alone. I bet my next shipment of merchandise will be banned before they reach the shelves!"

You're tempted to tell the shopkeeper to seek anger management therapy.

Quote:
Then decide to take a lunch break.
Your stomach's growling could rival Tibber's roaring. A trip to the cafeteria sounds perfect. Nevertheless, that annoying part of your mind called a conscience reminds you of your duty. The perpetrator of this crime is still on the loose!

You examine the shopkeeper's dusty sack of wares. At the top are a few red and blue potions. There's a first time for everything...

"Good Shopkeeper, I am feeling worn and could use a good energy drink. Might I purchase a few potions from you? Swipe the strip behind my badge; you should be reimbursed by the Institute's Federal Bureau."

The hog eyes you warily before handing you two red and two blue potions. "Never thought I'd be seeing one of you folks buying the drinks of Champions. The taste is 'unique'. Don't blame me if you don't like it. No refunds!" The shopkeeper shoulders his sack and leaves.

What should you do now?
- Drink a red potion
- Drink a blue potion
- Drink both a red and blue potion
- Save the potions for later
- [?]

Quote:
Ask the hog what its name is and then question it.
Quote:
Mix the red and blue together and drink the resulting cocktail.
"Wait, Shopkeeper--"

The pig turns his head. His crooked teeth form a menacing grimace.

"May I ask your name and a couple questions, please?" You uncork two bottles to combine the red and blue liquids. The resulting cocktail is a thick tar-black.

Wait, aren't red and blue supposed to make purple? Ignoring your intuition, you close your eyes and chug the mixture. So this is what Trundle's Pillar of Filfth must taste like...

The Shopkeeper laughs as your complexion changes from peach to sewage green. His laughter becomes uproarious as sweat begins to stream down your jaw.

"You know, there's a reason why we sell 'em in two varieties. Ever wonder why there isn't a 'purple' potion? Well, now you know. My name is Frank, by the way. Selling Runeterra's finest goods by the Blue Nexus for over 50,000 matches hehehe. So what did ya wanna know?"

Stars Sparkle

06-13-2011

Ask Frank the Merchant if he knows which Champions were scheduled to be summoned.

Stars Sparkle

06-13-2011

Ask what side Frank is on.

Deefunx

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-13-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schilde View Post
Use the red potion as ink and write "I know you did it, meet at the east tower after lunch." Making it look like threatening blood. Then leave the note under door 2.
from old topic.

// Disregard.

Rebecca

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-13-2011

Continue to explore until lunch is over.

Edit: If that is being disregarded then in all actuality I don't know. ;_;

Edit EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schilde View Post
I was editing to say disregard since it was already posted by the time I got to posting it after champion select.
In that case, then I'm okay with what I put.

Deefunx

06-13-2011

I was editing to say disregard since it was already posted by the time I got to posting it after champion select.

Nº 5

06-13-2011

Quote:
Ask Frank the Merchant if he knows which Champions were scheduled to be summoned.
Quote:
Use the red potion as ink and write "I know you did it, meet at the east tower after lunch." Making it look like threatening blood. Then leave the note under door 2.
"Frank, do you know which Champions were scheduled to appear? Can you recall any of the Summoners?"

The portly beast wriggles his snout. "I can only speak for the Blue Team. My twin brother, Fred, operates the shop for the Purple Team. The team roster is generally a surprise until the Champions appear on the summoning platform. However, this time was different. A Noxus VS Demacia battle is a rare event and some speculated that this skirmish was over something more significant than a mere rice tariff."

You nod your head in acknowledgment while capturing every word on your scroll.

"It was said that Blue would represent Demacia in this battle. Lux, Jarvin IV, Xin Zhao, Vayne, and Galio were rumored to be chosen. But don't take my word for it. I haven't seen any of those Champions today. Well, I'd best be going now. I'm behind on filing my taxes."

Frank's stout behind barely managed to pass through the door frame. When he has disappeared from site, you decide to set a simple trap for the criminal.

You dip your index finger into a red potion. It looks alarmingly like blood. Smirking, you write, "I know you did it, meet at the east tower after lunch" on the scroll. You tear off the threatening note with a flourish and slide it beneath Door 2.

Quote:
Continue to explore until lunch is over.
That black cocktail has a nauseating aftertaste but you feel physically rejuvenated and mentally sharp. Rooms 5 through 10 contain meticulously organized components for turret and inhibitor construction. Each part weighs over 300 pounds.

Room 1 is empty save for a few cobwebs. Room 2 contains your "bloody" invitation. A winding staircase is located at the end of the hall.

Rebecca

06-13-2011

Go down the staircase!

Nº 5

06-13-2011

Quote:
Go down the staircase!
You descend the spiral staircase which is illuminated by striking blue torchlight. The worn stairs are dusty from infrequent use. Who comes here? After ten minutes you sense that you are deep underground.

A savage roar can be heard. Fewer torches light the way as you continue to descend. These torches appear shoddy compared to the ones you passed earlier. You wonder how they manage to stay fixed to the crumbling walls.

Rebecca

06-13-2011

Going on any further sounds a bit scary, but, still. Curiosity gets the best of me.

1234511 ... 23