GUIDE- Playing an optimal Warwick in 3v3

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Jenova Project

10-21-2010

This guide, as the title implies, is a detailed and informative piece on how to optimally play Warwick, the Blood Hunter, for 3v3 Twisted Treeline.

First, before we get rolling, a brief bit of information about myself so you give what I say a bit of credit. Absolutely any random can write a guide, and I am not claiming to be MegaZero or Dan Dinh on a smurf account, and honestly with non Warwick champions I would consider myself only a good LoL player, but Warwick is an entirely different story. These days I play ONLY Warwick and ONLY 3v3, and it has been that way for literally 600+ games. I have over 400 wins with Warwick and went from being a 50/50 (and at one point even below) player with only 150 wins or so and maining Tryndamere who had only been playing for a couple of months to a guy who is currently sitting with over 600 wins, an extremely high normal game elo, and a highly lopsided w/l ratio. As I write this I am over 150 games on the plus side and I am positive this number will continue to grow with the sky as the limit. Warwick on 3v3 is my absolute specialty and now I will share my approach with you. Note that this guide is being written at a time where the Lux patch is the most recent, so always keep the date and current metagame in mind when reading ANY guide...

Also, a quick note- ANY game play scenario has circumstances, exceptions, and times where you should be doing something entirely different than recommended here. These are all in general tips aimed at typical high level games that do not have abnormal circumstances such as disconnects, leavers, uncommon/unviable champions in play, and massive gaps in team scores (such as being behind early on by six kills).

SETUP-

As every remotely good LoL player knows, your pregame setup is almost as valuable as the decisions you make in game and at the highest levels of play correct runes and masteries are a must. I will be the first to admit that I build my Warwick far differently than anyone else that I know. I assure you I have run him, extensively, every which way and I am sold on what I genuinely believe is the best by a considerable margain. Not only does this approach catch many opponents off guard and make them incorrectly focus me as opposed to one of my teammates, but players will often pick a bad fight or lose a 1v1 situation that they would almost always win against, say, a DPS Warwick.

My runes are as follows (shouldn't need to be said but all tier 3, obviously)-

Attack Speed Marks x9
Dodge Seals x9
Magic Resist Glyphs x9
Health Quints x3

My mastery setup is quite unique and is one of the biggest X factors as to why I win so frequently. It is as follows-

DEFENSE
3 points - Resistance
3 points- Hardiness
4 points- Evasion
1 point- Nimbleness
2 points- Defensive Mastery
3 points- Harden Skin
4 points- Veteran's Scars
1 point- Tenacity

UTILITY
3 points- Perseverance
1 point- Haste
4 points- Awareness (I would NEVER not bring this mastery on any champ for TT)
1 point- Utility Mastery

Adding this up you'd come to 0/21/9 with a heavy defensive investment. My Warwick is far tankier than most, has more overall survivability and jungling ability, and is just flat out better in all stages of the game since he cannot be bursted down or dropped in a matter of seconds if and when the late game rolls around.

I bring Smite and Ghost and think anything else is completely 1000% wrong.

ITEMS-

I want to make something extremely clear before I get into this section. If you have a preset build that you follow and make every single game, you are nowhere near a good player and are making a critical mistake. If you've read other guides that tell you to make item A, B, C, then D in that order I'd strongly recommend you stop reading immediately. Outside of some form of boots (and which form should vary with the matchup) and maybe one main large item such as Scepter, Rod of Ages, Madred's, or Trinity Force (yes there are others, no I will not list them all) you should never lock yourself into a build and should always be building to counter the enemy lineup. This is one of the key differences between 3v3 and 5v5. In 5s you cannot accurately build to counter an enemy team, as five different characters with five different setups, strong points, and ways to attack is just too many and you can not hope to effectively counter them all. In 3v3 you can often build specific items to really hose lineups and adjusting your build and communicating with your teammates so all 3 of you build these items is a winning recipe. I will get into this in far more detail with examples later on. In the mean time...

Opening Items-
The only preset items I get every single game with Warwick are boots and Madred's Bloodrazor. You will be jungling immediately and will continue to do so throughout the game and for this attack damage is simply more helpful than movement speed. I start each game with Long Sword and Health Pot for this reason, upgrading the Long Sword to Madred's Razor promptly, but more on game play later. I can't emphasize enough that item timing and choices entirely depends on the matchup for 3v3 so instead of walking you through items in order I'm going to mix game play and items into the same general section in order to A correctly display the information and B not get repetitive down the line.

The Start of a Game-
DO NOT level 1 team fight. Warwick should be passive until he has his ultimate, at which point he should begin ganking, but no fighting until then unless you absolutely have no other choice. Warwick should jungle, period. Laning with Warwick is wrong, period. If you are trying to lane there are far better choices for champions and you should always build on strength, not on weakness, and Warwick's strength lies in the jungle. Hungry Strike is my first ability and I begin each game in the top left or right corner of the map depending on whether I am the blue on purple team. To avoid getting repetitive with this, all further examples will assume that I am the blue team. So, starting in the top left corner where you'll either get golems or wolves I wait in the brush until 1:30 (this is the time that minions spawn) and then proceed to kill those monsters. If you get wolves you will still be level 1 when you defeat them where as golems will put you automatically to level 2 right off the bat. DO NOT use Smite here, even if you think it will save you time, and if you're doing it correctly you should not have to use your health pot nor should you have to use Hungry Strike more than one time, twice at the absolute most. If you get wolves, defeat the larger and stronger wolf (brown as opposed to blue) first and then get the little guys.

With those monsters defeated, proceed to the right and check the first potential wolf/wraith camp. Surprisingly to some, the wraiths are far more difficult to kill than the wolves, and like I said earlier attack damage is far more valuable to you than movement speed at this stage in the game, so we are looking for wolves. If the first camp is wraiths proceed to the next looking for wolves. Yes, sometimes both will be wraiths, and I will explain what to do in this situation in a bit, but assuming one of the camps contains wolves you'll want to go there immediately. Smite a brown wolf and attack it once to kill it (this will immediately level you up if you got wolves over golems before and are still at level 1) and learn Hunter's Call, which you should immediately use. Focus on the second brown wolf first before getting the big guy. This fight once again should be easy and should not require more than one Hungry Strike nor the use of your Health Pot.

With those two camps eliminated you'll want to proceed to the enemy side potential golem/wolf camp and eliminate those monsters, which should be effortless, and then proceed back a bit to the final camp in the top jungle (which is the remaining wolf/wraith camp) and eliminate these monsters. You should have your Smite up again at this time, or have it very close to being up, and you should use it promptly. You may need to use your Health Pot here and you may not, depending on which monsters you have already gone up against, but using it is perfectly fine if you must. Eliminate these monsters and proceed to the center jungle. Level 3 is the time to get Hungry Strike again, level 4 get your first point in Blood Scent, level 5 Hungry Strike again.

====IF BOTH CAMPS SPAWNED WRAITHS INSTEAD OF WOLVES, TAKE YOUR GOLEM/WOLF CAMP FIRST, THEIR GOLEM/WOLF CAMP SECOND, THE MONSTERS TO THE LEFT OF THE LIZARD ELDER THIRD, THEN BACK INTO THE TOP JUNGLE TO ELIMINATE THE WRAITH CAMPS====

Eliminate the monsters to the left of the lizard elder, which again should be effortless and fast, and at this point decisions need to be made and it entirely depends on the current flow of the game and the enemy lineup. It is not possible to walk a person through every possible scenario, but in an attempt to be helpful here are two of the most common situations/courses of action-

1. Help for a small period of time in the bottom lane. Since you've been jungling up til this point, your teammate in the bottom lane has been holding off a 2v1 and is likely underfarmed (though overleveled) and his lane is likely pushed back. This may be a good time to go down to the lane and help him push it back to at least the center so your tower is not taking damage and so your partner is not losing last hits to the tower. Likewise, it is entirely possible that this teammate will want/need to go back to buy and heal, so this is a good time for you to cover his lane while he does so.

2. Go for the lizard elder. This entirely depends on how far the bottom lane is pushed, what the health status is for both your bottom lane teammate and the two enemies there, and who specifically the enemies are. Against strong early game champions, especially those with stuns (specifically Sion and Taric) I would absolutely avoid this play, as it can end in you getting ganked and killed at the lizard and giving up first blood. Against champions without stuns you should be able to easily get away between Ghost and Blood Scent even if they come and killing the lizard does not take long nor does it put your health in danger so many times you will get it here and be in excellent shape.

The first time you go back you want to make sure you have just under 1000 gold, and obviously having more is not a problem. You'll want to upgrade Long Sword into Madred's Razor and buy basic boots. If you have a little extra gold now is the time to buy a ward as well. This is where my specifics of gameplay will end, as from this point fourth there are too many variables, but here is more information and some general tips and concepts to apply throughout the game-

SKILL ORDER-
There is no reason to change this order in any matchup. Stick with this, set in stone, always-

1 Hungry Strike lvl 1
2 Hunter's Call lvl 1
3 Hungry Strike lvl 2
4 Blood Scent lvl 1
5 Hungry Strike lvl 3
6 Infinite Duress (ultimate) lvl 1
7 Hungry Strike lvl 4
8 Blood Scent lvl 2
9 Hungry Strike lvl 5
10 Blood Scent lvl 3
11 Infinite Duress (ultimate) lvl 2
12 Blood Scent lvl 4
13 Hunter's Call lvl 2
14 Blood Scent lvl 5
15 Hunter's Call lvl 3
16 Infinite Duress (ultimate) lvl 3
17 Hunter's Call lvl 4
18 Hunter's Call lvl 5

ITEMS PART TWO-
ALWAYS Long Sword into Madred's Razor and basic boots, then upgrade basic boots. Boots should ALWAYS be (when you upgrade them) either Ninja Tabi or Merc Treads, entirely depending on their lineup. Always choose one of these two items. From there, here are some options and the matchups in which they are appropriate-

GUARDIAN ANGEL- The absolute nuts against tanky teams with low damage output. Against teams including multiple characters like Garen, Sion, Taric, Mordekeiser, Shen, and similar characters this is the absolute best item you can get and after boots and Razor it should be rushed immediately.

THORNMAIL- Against teams including multiple of the following- Tryndamere, Xin Zhao, Olaf, Garen, other WW, and less viable champions such as Master Yi.

WIT'S END- Against teams with at least two squishy to medium toughness casters such as Vlad, Janna, Annie, Taric, Sona, Lux and other random support champions.

GUINSOO'S RAGEBLADE- This one will get some scoffs, but when the game rolls late and gets into a stalemate situation, this is the go to item that will let Warwick demolish towers in a matter of seconds. It is almost always incorrect to get this item, but in the situations where it is correct it is an absolute game breaker.

FORCE OF NATURE- I should not need to explain this. Get this, or alternatively Spirit Visage, or both, against teams that have at least two champions doing their damage with ability power.

SWORD OF THE DIVINE- Jax, Gragas, or tanks with Tabis. Again, it is rarely correct to get this item, and almost always you want to build Bloodrazor, boots, and all defensive items, but in the rare case where this is the correct to get it will win you the game.

BANSHEE'S VEIL- Stun and Warwick are not friends. Merc Treads, combined with our tanky and durable setup, is typically enough vs one stun or even two, but against teams packing all 3 stuns you gotta do what you gotta do and this is the go to item.

GENERAL TIPS-

Gank Gank Gank- Every champion, and every team, should be ganking their enemies, but Warwick should be doing so even more frequently. Be passive until level 6, but the moment you get your ultimate it is time to get aggressive. When Blood Scent is combined with Ghost your speed vaults absolutely through the roof and pending a stun you can catch and kill just about anything at or below half health. Likewise, enemies often have no idea where you are in the jungle and you can catch them by surprise. Also, your ultimate is one of the absolute best ganking abilities in the game. Popping out, Infinite Duressing an enemy, and an attack or two from your teammate (often not even needed) will get you A LOT of kills. Warwick is designed for ganking and is one of the absolute best in the game for it.

Control the Jungle- You are Warwick! Nobody besides other Warwick and enemy Udyr can keep up with you in the jungle and it is your job to control the buffs, solo the dragon quickly, and never allow your opponents to get the lizard. You can kill monsters in the jungle quickly and easily and jungling gives your entire team a natural level advantage since you have essentially 3 solos and they just don't. Also, enemy non jungle characters attempting to jungle (Xin Zhao, Shaco, Olaf, Nunu, Amumu) are an absolute joke and will just flat out lose if they try to outjungle you. You're faster, more efficient, have a higher damage output and more reliable recovery, and can easily gank and kill them where as they really can not harm you at all.

Item Tip- Sorry, I promise I'm done with items after this. I just want to note that you should NEVER build damage on Warwick, as Bloodrazor with his ultimate, with Hunter's Call, and just Bloodrazor being Bloodrazor in general is all the damage output you'll need. Besides the rare exceptions mentioned above with the two swords you almost always want to build Bloodrazor, boots, and ALL defensive items.

Use Wards- Wards are absolutely amazing with Warwick more than almost any other character. They prevent you from getting ganked (though so does a brain and map awareness), they set up ganks on the other guy (which Warwick is naturally good at anyway and this is just icing on the cake), and they let you control the jungle entirely. In every way wards play perfectly into Warwick's natural strengths and should be used very frequently.

Know Your Role- With this build you are the absolute anti tank. Words cannot describe the level of which you will absolutely DESTROY Garen, Shen, Sion, Xin, Mundo, Taric, etc in a one on one fight (assuming you are both at or near the same level and one of you doesn't have red buff). Tanks can not kill you and you can tear them to shreds. Likewise, Warwick fairs extremely well against squishy dps characters such as Akali, other Warwicks with 21 points in utility or offense, Master Yi, Ezreal, or random casters.

Know Your Limits- Typically you can solo dragon at level 6 with Madred's Razor and boots. If you have Recurve Bow as well, or Ninja Tabi, it is essentially a sure thing. Do not get greedy in the jungle, as being caught on low health in the jungle and feeding is one of the best ways to throw away a game, and do not pick fights early on, especially against champions with stun. Several champions are more powerful than you are until you reach level 6 or higher. Also, the long game often favors Warwick as you and your teammates will naturally gain a significant level advantage over time because you are jungling. You are at your strongest in the mid to late game.

BONUS TIER LIST-

This list is to be applied to 3v3 only, is outdated the moment the next patch is released unless I edit to specify otherwise, and is my opinion alone and reflects the opinion of no one besides myself. This list is also aimed strictly at competitive, high level play. Read top to bottom, NOT left to right, understanding many are ridiculously close and that champions vary in value greatly based on team composition-

Mundo Tier- Dr. Mundo
Tier 1- Garen, Singed, Mordekeiser, Vladimir
Tier 2- Warwick, Gragas, Jax, Kog Maw, Ezreal, Amumu, Nunu, Kennen
Tier 3- Miss Fortune, Lux, Sona, Udyr, Janna, Poppy, Xin Zhao, Olaf, Tryndamere, Sion, Swain, Galio
Tier 4- Kayle, Zilean, Taric, Shaco, Akali, Kassadin, Rammus, Heimerdinger, Cho Gath, Morgana, Anivia, Annie, Nasus, Fiddlesticks, Nidalee, Katarina, Malphite, Gangplank
NEVER Tier- Teemo, Evelynn, Blitzcrank, Veigar, Ashe, Soraka, Master Yi, Sivir, Tristana, Ryze, Alistar, Twisted Fate, Pantheon, Urgot, Malzahar, Corki, Karthus, Twitch

I suppose that is all. Questions, comments, insults, propositions, and just in general intelligent, mature, respectful conversation please feel free to post here in the forums or to talk to me in game. Thanks for reading and I genuinely hope I have helped you in one way or another.

Foxylicious

10-21-2010

I main WW and shaco for 3v3 ranked so I always jungle, the route you described is pretty nice but you make it seem like there is no other jungler to compete with. Also by going for one of the top camp buffs like wraiths or wolves after the first creep camp that basically means your giving up Lizard to the other team when it spawns at 2.05. Unless you're fighting teams that don't know how to play 3v3 they won't leave lizard if they know you are not grabbing it when it spawns, plus Lizard gives everyone on your team 50gold which is like a mini dragon for 3s.

tldr; good guide just focus more on the competitive aspect of jungling in 3s.

Ortus2

10-21-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxylicious View Post
I main WW and shaco for 3v3 ranked so I always jungle, the route you described is pretty nice but you make it seem like there is no other jungler to compete with. Also by going for one of the top camp buffs like wraiths or wolves after the first creep camp that basically means your giving up Lizard to the other team when it spawns at 2.05. Unless you're fighting teams that don't know how to play 3v3 they won't leave lizard if they know you are not grabbing it when it spawns, plus Lizard gives everyone on your team 50gold which is like a mini dragon for 3s.

lizard gives 100 gold bounty if u killed it and no party gold, im pretty sure about this

Jenova Project

10-21-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxylicious View Post

I absolutely hear you and agree with you. Personally, my teams always bring 2 smite in order to get the lizard, one of which is on me. Like I said, I couldn't cover every single scenario and what if in the guide, but in response to this comment it is absolutely worth noting that when you go for the lizard entirely depends on the number of Smite on your team and the other team. Assuming you have two, if they have one or zero you can safely play the route I described and get the lizard pretty much whenever. If they have two, as in my opinion the best teams all do, you need to audible the root and go from top camp straight down to lizard at 2:10 and make sure you get in the last hit with your two smites.

Thanks a lot for reading and for bringing this to my attention!

Jenova Project

10-21-2010

And yes, the Lizard Elder no longer gives global gold. 100000000000000% positive.

Santaclawws

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-21-2010

zilean is god tier in 3v3, FYI.

MyWeedIsHairy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-21-2010

Zilean is god tier if you have a team that can support Zilean. If you don't have strong heroes that can survive while his ult is triggering, you'll still get rolled.

Jenova Project

10-21-2010

Zilean isn't even good anymore. There was absolutely a point where that statement was true, but it is a long gone day. He just doesn't do enough and has zero damage output.

Jenova Project

10-22-2010

bump

Krackor

10-22-2010

I like your choice of Mastery, but I prefer a variant on it: 11/9/10.

Offense:
Improved Smite/Archmage's Savvy
Attack Speed
Armor Pen

Defense:
1 MR/3 Armor
Dodge
Nimbleness

Utility:
Death timer/Imp Ghost
XP
Neutral Buffs

The things you miss out on defense tree with this build are flat damage reduction, 60 hp, a bit of attack speed (which you make up for with the offense mastery), a bit of AP scaling (which is outdone by Archmage's Savvy in virtually any reasonable warwick build), and % damage reduction, which has always underwhelmed me in potency. Imo the hardest loss to afford is the 60 hp, yet your strategy of avoiding lvl 1 teamfights seems like that hp gain is negligible by the time you need it (I assume you're not falling below 60 hp while creeping early game unlike other borderline junglers e.g. Shen/Amumu in SR).

The arpen from offense should improve your creep dps by a significant amount since you're not running arpen runes. The attack speed is self explanatory. I find this build gives you significant jungling speed without sacrificing much survivability.