How to counter an aggressive Caitlin?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

HasturHastur

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-12-2011

My team has recently been losing lanes very hardcore to caitlin, whether it be a solo lane or duo bot (taric cait was a major offender here)

I've found that if caitlin EVER lands a Q on me for significant damage, I can no longer trade pokes and she WILL be able to zone me off creeps. Ranged carries lose their advantage in lane once she has a health advantage.

Am I better off setting someone tankier to lane against her mid? Burstier? Call ganks as often as I can and pray that my jungler will babysit me?

It seems that as soon as she has the lane advantage, I lose ANY presence in lane at all. What do?

Sinn

06-12-2011

I play Caitlyn all the time, and she has the furthest range in the game as far as I know which gives her a ridiculous early game advantage. A good Caitlyn player will zone you with her Peacemaker while last hitting minions. This prevents your farm and keeps you from getting within attack range.

The thing is she is very squishy. Ridiculously squishy. If your lane has a lot of crowd control you can easily prevent her farm. Laning with a tank will help you get close to do damage. It sounds like common sense but the easiest way to prevent Caitlyn from dominating you in a lane, especially an aggressive one, is to keep moving. Keep juking, last hitting when you can, and let her waste all of her mana with Peacemakers and Snap Traps. Middle to late game, or if Caitlyn is fed, do not step in her traps as she will immediatly use the stun advantage to Peacemaker > basic > Ace In the Hole combo you. I've been playing mid and fed off of squishy carries like that countless times.

For midding against Cait, play ranged AD carries against her. Champions like Ashe, or Twitch can really mess up her farm, despite her range advantage. People with good lane-staying like Vladimir can also mid against her very well, forcing her to recall after taking any significant damage and thus lose out on experience. Brand can do very well against her too, as his spells have a very long range and usually deal massive damage with built-in Ignite. If his full chain hits her once she will die running away or be very close. Her squishiness makes ganking her very easy, just let her get comfortable and overly aggressive. Then kill her.

Good luck, hope this helped.

Yogalates

06-12-2011

i agree i play brand alot nowadays and have never really had a probelem against her with either solo or witha partner. The main thing i've found is that if she is being agressive you have to out agressive her back like the previous poster said she is very very squishy and any kind of stun or focus will make her pay dearly. But in saying so brand has huge range and with some good predicting it is very easy to lane against a squishy so i would say try to use the bushes to your advantage as well and just keep her guessing as to where you will be like urgot if she is smacking you down with some auto shots and skills and you are running away you will be hurting hard, but run towards them and make them spend some time running or getting hit and they will be much less likely to tag you for fun in the future

just my two cents i only play normal not ranked so take it with a grain of salt or whatever but hope this kinda helps

MindGamez

06-12-2011

Play aggressive against her.

You can't play passive and try to farm.

She's so squishy you can get her down quickly, especially if she buys no sustainability items.

I let her push on me early dodging harass, then I play very aggressive at lvl 3, get her down to half HP or something and then sit behind her minions dodging Peacemaker.

She's screwed after that without potions. She loses farm and exp until she comes back in range at which point you keep pinging her and scaring her away.

Keep in mind this works best with champs that have sustainability items or abilities.

Snaketeeth01

06-12-2011

also remember that caitlyn has a strong advantage early game due to her range and high damage, but her mid-game can be slowed if you prevent her from getting kills.

Playing as cait, I can push you to your turret and either kill you, or force you to TP while I hack at your turret. Not much you can do about it.. simple answer "just CC her!". But more importantly, juke and dodge. Do not move towards and away from cait, from side to side, and do not line yourself up with your minions between yourself and her. As cait this is a great time to fire off piltover as it is a chance to not only damage minions and farm, but to land damage on a champ. By maintaining distance this will help ensure that she is using headshot's on minions and not you. Reversely, if you find that for whatever reason you are getting hit by piltover anyway, or you can't avoid minions. Then keep minions between you so that they soak more damage before it hit's you, but also try to maintain enough distance that you can pull back as you see her animation to start the shot. This will waste her much needed mana.

Listen for and count her snap trap's. You can hear the activation of a trap, and caitlyn will breifly face the direction she throw's it in. This will warn you to avoid going into that bush, and it's probably a good idea to late your teamates know as well. If she has 3 trap's out, and you can soak the damage from a trap, you may as well activate it and have her waste mana laying down another. But that's tottaly up to you. I would rather setoff a trap knowing I can take it, than to accidently hit it while I'm running away.

If your going to rush her, do it shortly after you see her use piltover or headshot, as this will keep it off of you. By jumping in at these downtimes, you can poke damage, and maintain your space until you know your ready to rush.

Lastly, if caitlyn is constantly harrasing you with auto attack's thornmail will not only return damage in auto attack's, but it will reduce damage taken from both Q and R.

I actually suggest landing mgc damage on caitlyn as her best choice for MR would be wit's end. It may offer her AS and slight mgc damage, but the fact that it does NOT benefit her Q and R help you in that the gold spent towards wit's end prevent's her from gettin'g BF or another AD item.

BUHHHHHHHHHHHHH

06-12-2011

Is there a champion in particular that you're playing? Would be easier to say how to counter a Caitlin that way. Regardless ...

Snaketeeth01 pretty much said everything there is to say. I play Teemo against Caitlin a lot, and I don't have a problem with her Q. Just keep dancing around so that you can easily dodge her Q like you would for Lux's nukes or Blitzcrank's grab -- look for the wind up motion, and listen for the sound. You could get boots first to help react faster.

You could also pick up some armor to lessen the damage, and health regen to compensate for her spamming Q. I recommend a Warden's Mail which has both and a nice debuff, but if that's too pricey, maybe a Doran's Shield early on which will let you stay in lane much longer in the early game.

Most importantly though, you should just be aware of positioning with Cait. Hang back out of range and the Q will miss. When you know you're going to get hit, get behind the minions to lessen the damage. If you have the melee and ranged between you and her, that's already %30 less damage to worry about.

HasturHastur

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-12-2011

The two games that seriously come to mind were myself as tristana vs cait solo mid and Cho + orianna vs Cait + taric.

Umie

06-13-2011

ive never once had an issue with a Cait using Malz in middle. dodge her Q and ure fine. worse comes to worst, just stay under your tower while dodging the Q. unless fed, shes a pretty bad champ late game; i fear GP more.

USS BUTTPEE

06-13-2011

Quote:
Cho + orianna vs Cait + taric.
I can shed light on this, Caitlyn pretty much flat out counters Cho in laning. And Taric is a better support in laning than Orianna.

zxlkcf

06-13-2011

Let her get owned by minions.

Serious.