Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Suggestions concerning the way Matchmaking works

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Whammyshammy

05-16-2012

I personally think that this may be a bit over-thought. I like all the ideas put forward by the author of this thread, except a slight detail of how it will start.

Most people's problem with this setup is the fact that a group of 3 could keep kicking people out, or eloism could occur, or some kind of exclusion for no good reason. The solution proposed for this was to limit the people joining a lobby to groups of 1,2, or 5 (well that would just be a ranked team now).

I think a simple way to solve all the problems involved is this: have only two buttons for ranked draft pick. Join solo or join duo. In both cases you are matched as you are now with a team of 5. Now with that team of 5 you are sent for a minute to a "lobby" that is basically what the author of this thread has illustrated. In this lobby you discuss what you are able to play individually and see if this group of 5 people HAS THE ABILITY to put together a decent team or not. If not, anyone can choose to leave with no elo penalty.

If everyone agrees the team is feasible, only then will the 5 move into champ select. A way to streamline this process in the back-end for Riot would be to have a pool of all players. Then use the matchmaker to put 5 of equal skill together. Then send them to the lobby to discuss; if the ok is given, then this team is sent into a pool of "ready teams". Based on the 5 players elo etc a rank is given to the team as a whole, and then teams with close enough rankings are put against each other. From the way I have described it and the way ranked matchmaker seems to work right now, I do not believe there should be too much difficulty in tweaking the system to implement such a change since most matchmaker logic would not have to change.

Now the only thing left to discuss is what is the penalty for leaving from the warmup lobby? I believe it should be nothing. This is ranked; we are all playing to win (I hope). If we truly believe that we will not be able to perform well as a team with the other 4 people, why must we be forced to stay. It would be in everyone's interest to WANT to play together with the other 4, so that a win is even more satisfying and you know that a loss was because you were outplayed, and not because of a troll, AFKer, DCer etc. Of course the existing elo and time penalties should continue for people who leave during champ select due to being counter picked etc.

One counterargument I could see is that this takes too long. I agree with the author when he says "good". If you are serious about winning shouldn't matter if you have to spend 30 more seconds. But in all honesty if this sort of lobby was implemented I wouldn't mind shorter time in champ select; after all you already pretty much know which roles you are each going to play. Now it is just a matter of choosing the appropriate champions based on your enemies.

The last suggestion I have is to automatically boot someone who lets the clock run down to 0. If this is in the lobby, again no penalty (AND FOR GOD SAKE DON'T REQUEUE THE AFKER). However if this happens in champ select then there should be a penalty. I've seen it happen before; someone will be lagging or something, and their timer will show 4s, while the real timer is 0. Then they get randomly assigned a hard champ or a champ they have never played and we all can do nothing but facepalm and endure 20 mins of bull**** that should never have been allowed to happen.

tl:dr when you enter ranked queue, you don't go straight to champion select, but instead to a warm-up room. There you discuss what you can and will play and see if the group of 5 can work together or not. If not someone can dodge, otherwise the team goes through into champ select. Leaving in the lobby = no penalty, leaving in champ select = penalty. P.S. If someone lets the clock run down to 0 they are booted, and appropriate penalties applied depending on where they AFKd from.

Please reply with support or criticism. I would love to refine the idea more so that Riot might actually feel like implementing it; elo hell may only be something to throw the blame at, but it is true that losing your first few games makes it ridiculously harder than it should be to get back up. I just hope that unnecessary losses can be eliminated

Eeagleagle

05-16-2012

why isnt this already in game is the real question.

Ryuu Wuffbutt

06-05-2012

Bump, and I HIGHLY approve of this idea! Very well thought out, and nice pictures

Marndremen

06-05-2012

Something I hope I'm missing here. But why such a harsh penalty for leaving a ranked que? Que dodging is an excellent part of the game, because it enables you to dodge trolls and bad team comps due to inconsiderate players. I just played a ranked game where a Warwick and a Twitch instalocked jungle, then proceeded to jungle, while pantheon free farmed top and they still didn't gank till 15 minutes in. We all saw it coming from champion selection, and it was an obvious loss from there. I don't understand why people hate que dodging so much. At worst it's only making you wait another minute or two before you start a game, and in most cases should be taken as a necessary precaution in the event of people who are detrimental to the team. I don't believe that there should be a penalty for leaving a ranked que. Too many times has it happened that I had a team comp that I knew wasn't going to do well, or players that were arguing before the game even started, and rather than take a garunteed loss, we have to wait 20 minutes to TRY to win a hopeless game, ending up in 5 angry players. Que dodging is necessary, and should not be punished. Especially in ranked.

Private Riem

06-13-2012

A year later and this thread is still up.
Have to say I'm impressed by the feedback my idea received.
Thanks to everybody.

johnny5lives

06-18-2012

So that means that you need to make new graphics for the suggestions.