Question about Exhaust

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ragsalot

12-11-2013

I've been curious about how Exhaust affects a champ, and I have a few examples to help me understand how it works. Please only reply if you're sure of the answer.

Exhaust vs Caitlyn ult: When do I need to apply Exhaust for it to decrease the damage dealt by the ability? For this example, let's assume she's ulting a target at max range, with them walking away from her, making for a 3 second travel time for her ult until it hits her target. Do I need to apply Exhaust:
1. As she's casting the spell and marking her target
2. As the bullet is nearing its target
3. As the bullet is hitting the target

I have the same question with Zed's ultimate:
1. As he casts it
2. While it's active on the target
3. Just before it deals its tick damage at the end of its duration

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Amatzikahni

12-11-2013

When any ability is cast, the calculations for damage, mana cost, etc are all done at cast time. For channeled spells, this is when your character begins their chargeup. So, if you see the giant laser pointing toward your ally (or yourself), you can only find a blocker and cannot reduce its damage by debuffing the enemy. However, if you Exhaust before you see the laser, the damage will be decreased. Zed's ult is done similarly; the base initial damage and base explosion damage are calculated as soon as he goes invulnerable.

The same argument can be made for pretty much every ability in the game in terms of leveling it up while the projectile is in the air or while the channel is winding up. I believe the only two exceptions are Teemo shrooms and Heimer turrets (and I'll have to look up Shaco boxes).