So called phrase: "i called first"

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Snuffles

12-07-2013

ok so you guys experienced this right?
you call what ever lane.. lets say top and this guy just locks in calling top to just feed.
Idk if it's their internet or riot's problem, in the lobby chat some people's things dont show up for ex:

player 1,2,3,4,5 has joined the room
player 1: Top
player 2: dude player 3 called top first
-player 3 locks in top-

now you're forced to support (considering its normals) you support and without getting to much into it.

the guy who supposibly called a lane faster than you ends u feeding 3/4 of the time.

i heard theres a new thing called team comp mode coming(?) where you call a role and the match making pairs up with the people who need your role. this seems pretty promising but after like 1 notice about it about a month ago there isnt anymore updates of this game mode.

Is there a magically way of dealing with these types of people other than dodging?

also btw im in silver so im not exactly with the nicest people all the time

Madraac

12-07-2013

There is no magical way as you put it... In Solo Q, I simply state my intent as a preference, so it would be Jungle Pref, or Top Pref. That way I am not creating animosity before the game starts.

However, I am a very good jungler, and average as top and very good support with certain playstyles / champ combos. I am abysmal at mid, and average as ADC. I know that if I do not get jungle, support is my second best option. So I try to talk it through with the team. Normally, giving up mid is never a problem, and if I get to go Top, in ranked, I will only do so with one of 2 champions that I know I can manage. (Mind you, my top never is a fed lane, nor do I feed, I use naturally tanky champs that can tower farm easily.)

The point being, know all the roles, know your weaknesses, and make sure you politely say them in chat. The best point of view is to take it as I do not get to try my intended role, but let me work on being better at x role or x champ this match. (Assuming non-ranked of course.)

Goliath19

12-07-2013

The system right now is pretty stupid I think, half the time it's based on who joins the lobby first. Player1 calls top before Player2 joins the lobby, so p2 calls top and locks in. After this happens a good 30% of games start with someone trolling.

The only thing to really do is be able to play all roles well. This really sucks because sometimes you just really want to practice a certain role, but you play 3 games and someone else calls it first each time, and then you're out of gaming time for the day. I'd really love if they actually come out with that role queue.

OmniOmega

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-08-2013

You have two options. Learn how to play the role you're pigeonholed into or main the role that no one else willingly plays. I only got into ranked very recently, but of the almost 200 games I've played, I've only had support taken from me two or three times. Alternatively, become proficient in several roles. I've recently started learning how to mid and jungle. If you have 3 roles that you're comfortable with, you're far less likely to be picked out.

Madraac

12-09-2013

Side note - It used to be that everyone wanted Top or Mid, as those are the all glory roles if you get going often times. However, in my last 15 games I was actually more often forced into Mid or Top as now everyone wants support or jungle, with ADC being the first fill.

The game changes and you need to as well. If you want to play ranked, be proficient in at least 3 areas so keep on practicing.

Also, make sure you pick limited champs... after 2+ years I had finally made the decision to focus on a select few champs, and 2 ideal roles and it has made a vast difference in my play. I thought variety was what made the game fun, but I will say winning seems to always trump variety.

Lammah

12-09-2013

Yeah I noticed a lot more people want to Jungle and Support (which were and still are my main).

I ADC more now, but I am still not so good at it yet. Starting top as well but slowly.

What I dislike is people calling Jungle/Support and doing a terrible job at it.

Directw

12-09-2013

The new champion selection lobby you described is very promising. However, with a big change like this, I don't expect it will happen very soon.

To answer you question, I come into the lobby and call the roll I want without locking in and wait. If something like you said happenes, I can still switch to other roles. So, I'm now familiar with all five roles and play any of them if the situation force me to.

Or you can switch to ARAM. I now play most my matchs in ARAM simply because I have seen too many times the situation you said. In ARAM, I can play the champion I want and the way I want.

oFlint

12-09-2013

From what I've heard, doesn't the new champion select mess up team comp a little? Or is that just me not reading/watching well enough?

TMIT

12-11-2013

There's not a lot you can do about feeding. If the person is feeding top, in all likelihood they'd feed as a support, jungle, adc or mid also. Sometimes it's just a bad champ matchup that isn't managed carefully too, but more often someone just makes too many mistakes to be effective in lane.

For role calling purposes, the "issue" is that people don't get to play where they want. IMO it would be difficult to make 5 roles that are equally desirable, and it is completely impossible to make it so that all 5 are equally desirable to every person. So, sometimes you take the roles you don't like as much.

It's a myth that support has much less impact on the game than top though, at least IMO. A dominant bottom lane is very disruptive and does well for dragon control, and teams that win there tend to scale better into the late game unless one side is too uncoordinated for it to matter. Especially now in S4 where you see more supports like Lux and Annie, support can be a fun and aggressive role, especially since unless you go relic shield it's the one role where you start with no major expectation to farm/cs and can focus purely on protecting your ADC or more likely, abusing enemy champs. I would mention wards, but wards should not be support-only...though certainly support should get them also!

Support also has a bit more freedom than usual to roam out of a shoved lane to gank mid or intercept junglers with one's own jungler. In S4 with ancient coin and a few kills/assists from roaming/helping ADC, a support can become quite damaging or tanky.

If you got top and your support went a fast 0-3 and your ADC got zoned/shoved to tower with 1/2 their ADC cs, that game probably doesn't end well either . No matter where someone goes, each person has to do their best to contribute, and any role can contribute greatly.

RhoIo

12-11-2013

"I called first" is so stupid. So many little kids and immature adults will claim that it's a valid way of getting the role you want.

Typing faster then someone or having better connection (i.e. getting in the room before another player) does not give you anymore right to any specific role then someone else.

We need to keep it down to preferences and pick order. I hate when the last pick in ranked calls top, says I called first, and then trolls. Or worse he claims you, the first pick, are a troll for going top because he "called it first."

And in normals? Sure, it should be a place where everyone names their preferences and then everyone works together to form a team where everyone is happy, but let's be realistic, in normals you're going to get every immature adult and little kid saying "I called first" and "mid or feed/troll" that is humanly possible and there's not much you can do about it.

That's why I don't play normals.