AP Heimer: AKA The destroyer of towers and heros.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lord Oliveira

03-29-2010

RUNES/MASTERIES/SPELLS:

Marks: Magic Pen
Seals: Your choice, I do +mana regen per lv but +AP per level works too
Glyphs: +AP per level
Quints: Your choice, I do AP per level but more magic pen never hurts!
Grand total: 51 AP by lv 18, +8.5 mag pen, +16 mana regen lv 18

For Masteries I go defensive tree since Heimer is squishy, but I want those wonderful offensive caster boons, so go 9/21/0. (Especially underlined ones):

Offense: Archmages Savvy (3), Exhaust (1), Sorcery (4), Archaic Knowledge (1),
Defense : Resistance (3), Hardiness (3) Strength of Spirit (2), Defensive Mastery (3), Harden Skin (3), Veteran's Scars (4), Ardor (3), Tenacity (1).
Utility: Nothing.

With this you have gained mainly defensive stats but also ALL the directly offensive mage abilities. This is good. You do NOT need Spatial Accuracy because the benefits are no where near losing a point for Tenacity or for Arcane Knowledge.

Spells are simple. I play with Teleport to get around and save lanes/towers or to get back into a Turret siege that I have started outside their base or tower after returning to base to refresh hp/mana. This is ESSENTIAL to Heimer! I also play with Exhaust to keep the melees or my face and to keep carries blinded for absurd amounts of time in combination with Nades.

ITEM BUILD:

You are AP Heimer... so get lots of AP!

1 - Mana Crystal/2 health potions
2 - Once you get 980 gold, IMMEDIATLEY grab Tear of the Goddess. Heimer is so mana dependent that you want to expand your pool asap.
3 - Get a Catalyst next for lane staying power.
4 - Boots. Either Mercury if they have a lot of CC, or Sorcerors for more magic pen goodness.
5 - Turn that catalyst into Rod of the Ages asap to capitalize on tis benefits.
6 - Turn that Tear into an Archangels and watch your AP soar a little.

That is the basic build. From their you have to buy item based on enemy team. Most of the time you will want a Nashor's Tooth, a Deathfire grasp, or a Frozen Heart to give max cd reduction.

SKILL BUILD/TACTICS:

To the best of your ability you will want to SOLO MID. This is key because it give you the high levels you need to be able to push in any lane with impunity due to your lv 5 turrets and nades. After you finish the 2 lane towers in mid, you will then push either whatever lane is currently undergoing a good push from your team, or whichever lane is being hurt the most. Towers are your enemy, they must be DESTROYED. If you can;t solo mid that's ok, BUSHES ARE YOUR FRIEND, place turrets as close to being out of them as possible so they hit minions.

Your skills show be built as follows:

1: Turret
2: Nades
3: Nades
4: Turret
5-10: Depends on who you are fighting. If it is someone who is not doing well against your expertly placed and defended turrets, focus on Nades for killing power and taking down towers by hitting them with Nades. If they are very aggressive get upgraded Turrets. Both ways by lv 10 you will have Turrets and Nades maxed out.
11,12: Upgrade!!!
13-15: Rockets
16: Upgrade!!!
17,18: Rockets

You specifically are skipping your ulti until your bread and butter abilities; Turrets and Nades, are maxed out. This is intentional as the Nades rape heros and towers (preferably in one shot if you hit both with good aim on a tower-hugging hero), and also clear out creep waves easy in mid-game. Turrets are needed for your own safety and to push the lane in Siege style. Your ulti is useless early as only after you push in a lane will you activate freeze rounds to save you or an ally's butt or to catch a fleeing hero.

Now for THE MOST IMPORTANT THING OF ALL!!! Your TACTICS!

You MUST MUST MUST learn to aim your nades EXTREMELY WELL or you will fail with Heimer!

EARLY GAME:

First, take solo lane if you can. If you get solo and are on blue, place your first turret in the upper end of the lane, along the wooden bridge looking thing on their side of the lane. This way anyone coming out of the grass in the upper water, along the side, or from the enemies side in the lane, will all be in turret crossfire. If you are on purple side, do the same thing, but with the other end of the wooden bridge thing which is the left-most one. An essential skill with Heimer is remembering that Turrets are more for YOUR defense than for killing creeps! Thus as you push deeper and deeper you must master the "perimeter turret setup". If you are in side lanes, place a turret in the grass, then on the wall on the other end to draw a line across the width of the lane.

Early game, you never want to bunch your turrets up in one spot, as aoe spells will counter you. Neither do you want to line them up with one behind another, because that means the ones in the back are useless. You want to SPREAD THEM OUT in a lane as if you were drawing a line across the width. First on one wall/side, then the other, then the middle. This ensures no one walks by without a beating, it will take longer to kill all 3 due to walking over to each, and that all 3 turrets are actively engaged. THIS IS KEY!

Nade spam. You MUST get phenomenal in this or you will not get hero kills. This is how you slam heros. When you get good, you can get 2-3 kills before lv 10 early game even against good players, because they can't counter your turrets unless they are very specific chars. When throwing Nades you have 3 timing priorities: When they are directly attacking a turret, when they are tower hugging, and RANDOMNESS. If they are obviously running towards your turret to attack it, throw the nade so that it hits where they WILL BE when they are damaging it, but slightly further back, so that as they start running back they are nailed. This gives you a good stun and high damage on them, and you may be able to get of 2 normal attacks on them too. If a hero is tower hugging because your are normal hitting them and nading them for hurting your turrets, this is a sign of victory for master Siege Heimer. At this point, and also throughout Sieges on their main base with your full team support, you must remember the following: MAXIMUM TOTAL DAMAGE! You want to hit the tower/inhib, hero, and creeps, ALL AT ONCE!. So aim your little circle so that a tiny piece of it is touching the tower, so that most of it will hit where the hero is when they try to move, and also so that the incoming creep wave is nailed. (You want to hit the ranged creeps more as they have less hp and its a free 55 gold for you.)

MID GAME:

So how does this look in game? First you place you turret and defend it with your life, attacking hero that get near and nading them if need be. DO NOT RAMBO a hero to save a turret, especially if it will get you killed. Just make another one right where it was 3 secs later when creeps have started attacking your creeps. Also Nades hurt towers... ALOT. So if you have the mana, and your turrets are already up, just spam the **** out of the tower with nades, but WAIT until a creep wave comes in order to kill the ranged ones off while dealing 200 damage to a tower in ONE SHOT. You should easily have 3-7 building kills by end game with Siege AP Heimer.

Finally, what about Rockets and the ulti? Your ulti (active) is pretty bad, so only use it to save yourself, and ally, or to catch a dumb hero who walks into them. When making a proper Turret perimeter to be defensive in a siege, that is 2 turrets in front of you on the side walls of the lane and one in the middle back further behind you (or in crosspaths/jungles in side lanes), as soon as you see a hero that is a threat enter the triangular perimeter you have made, Nades them point blank in the mouth if they get close (which will stun them), turn on ulti and RUN! Also if they chase you must engage in defensive escape tactics, which is spamming micro missles, Nading them point blank, and building turrets as you go to auto attack them.

Do not be afraid to return home OFTEN if you have turrets in Siege position. Just use your Teleport and jump right back in. Missiles are completely useless EXCEPT when there are no creeps around, this is a good low damage nuke to 3 enemy heroes max, but is better when running away or catching a fleeing hero.

LATE GAME/TEAM COMBAT:

When helping allies in a team push, you want to Nade the most dangerous hero attacking your guys, especially Jax and Nidalee in cougar form. Exhaust them once blind wears off form nades, and with the max cd reduction, Nades them again 2 secs later! LOTS OF BLINDING! Also activate your ulti if it will save an ally form pursuing enemy champs.

TURRET RAPE:

Use Nades and rocket to clear minions and then plant a turret right in front of a tower, you can do this as early as lv 3 honestly and late game you will annihilate a tower in one go with enough AP. This is what you are made for!

LAST WORDS:

This guide has been long and intense, but that is so people can play Heimer well. My final synopsis is as follows:

Turrets and nades are maxed first. Build defensive perimeters with turrets, and go FOR MAX DAMAGE with Nades. Rocket only low hp fleeing heroes or heroes chasing you. Activate ulti only to save someone on your team or to catch fleeing heros. Go home OFTEN instead of sticking around with no hp or mana, then teleport BACK to your turrets and continue. Switch lanes often until no more enemy towers exist. In team combat Nade the best DPS hero they have repeatedly, Exhaust them and rocket heros when no creeps are in the way.

I hope this guide has been helpful. Thank you.

Palette Town

03-29-2010

ap heimer?

are you implying that you can play ad heimer?

Pissfer

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-29-2010

Okay, well, if you think the ulti is only for saving your sorry ass when you're ganked, you need to rethink Heimer strat - it can also be used to keep heroes in your range while you finish them off. I won't worry about your lack of rockets quite so much, as they are still VERY important in my opinion, ESPECIALLY early game, and they have the same power as nades and don't need targetting.

Also, since when is Nidalee melee? Well, I guess she is melee half the time late game...

Anyways, I will have to say that you're going to probably have to amend this as time goes on. I don't think by level 20 you will have played enough, but you already stated that. All considered however, this guide is quite solid. Can't say I'll change my playstyle for it, but useful to early Heimer players.

One thing for you to think about though: Ganking with Heimer. He is very good at this, ESPECIALLY if you are as good with his grenades as you sound to be.

Lord Oliveira

03-29-2010

There are 3 problems with rockets instead of nades:

They will not stun/blind incoming melee gankers, they will not pwn the **** out of the towers by themselves, and they will not have the high damage nades will mid/late game.

But play as you wish. This is a Siege mode Heimer.

Warrition

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Adjudicator

03-29-2010

Great guide; I like a lot of your specific ideas.

Here are some suggested improvements; take them or leave them.

1. Runes: For Marks, magic pen (which is primary) will almost always give you more damage than any AP runes (which are secondary). In addition, magic pen improves all of the other AP you'll be getting from runes and items, and is even more damaging when you get a Void Staff.
2. You should mention the "blind" component of grenades, because this is invaluable both when getting ganked as well as during team fights -- you can basically pick an enemy carry and keep him blinded for half the time, depending on your cooldowns.
3. Consider getting Deathfire Grasp instead of Lichbane, especially if the enemy doesn't have a lot of casters. DFG gives you another much-needed nuke which will also scale with your AP; it also provides 15% cooldowns, which essentially means that with your ult and mastery cooldowns you will hit the cooldown cap. In addition, Kage's (a component of DFG) is a great early item that will pay for itself, making DFG as a whole cheaper.
4. As your Elo rises, you might find that you're being picked off by assassin champions (such as Shaco) in the lane. Consider picking Exhaust for one of your spells, because between Exhaust and leveled Grenades you can keep a champion like this blinded for 9 out of 11 seconds (or 9/9 seconds with maxed cooldowns), which will normally cause them to a)die, or b)retreat, since your turrets will hopefully be hitting them that whole time.
5. Consider Rod of Ages as another alternate item, with an early Catalyst. This would be a bit more important if you don't run clarity, but the extra health is amazing no matter what.

Again, great guide!

skwca

03-29-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Oliveira View Post
There are 3 problems with rockets instead of nades:

They will not stun/blind incoming melee gankers, they will not pwn the **** out of the towers by themselves, and they will not have the high damage nades will mid/late game.

But play as you wish. This is a Siege mode Heimer.

interesting guide, but as some have said you still neee to pay a few games and get up there in ELO. because things will change for you. You will not get 2-3 kills before lvl ten if you stay mid. If your against ANY good ranged they will take out your turrets faster then you can build them, especially sivir she is now the heimer killer.

mid/late game your rockets should not be ignored, they are very powerful not just against heroes but creeps as well,its one of your pushing tools to get to the towers.

Im suprised that you opted out of your ulti, the slow is **** , but the 10% Cd is big, it will shave 1 sec off your grenedes and trust me as im sure you know the faster they come up the better.

over all good post well put together. just need to play a bit more with him.

Warrition

Adjudicator

03-29-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by skwca View Post
Im suprised that you opted out of your ulti, the slow is **** , but the 10% Cd is big, it will shave 1 sec off your grenedes and trust me as im sure you know the faster they come up the better.
In all fairness, leveling up grenades instead of the ult also shaves off 1 sec (ult does shave off a little more than a sec, depending on grenade level), and increases the blind duration and damage as well.

Skipping the ult until level 11 is a very interesting idea; I'm going to have to give it a try.

skwca

03-29-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrition View Post
In all fairness, leveling up grenades instead of the ult also shaves off 1 sec (ult does shave off a little more than a sec, depending on grenade level), and increases the blind duration and damage as well.

Skipping the ult until level 11 is a very interesting idea; I'm going to have to give it a try.

this is true, very true. I to will give it a try and see how it plays out. but then again if your trying to push towers faster the heal on the ulti may also be big for you to keep your turrets up and attacking that tower. again though im try it out.

Jman69

03-29-2010

You can tell me the exact order you are buying those items?
Your list seems to imply Zho ring is your first completed AP item, after buying a Chalice and boots.

Lord Oliveira

03-29-2010

I don't actually have an exact guide to the order I make things because it depends on my cash.

I always go Doran's Ring, and an hp regen flask thing, leaving me with 5 gold.

If I do well, I usaully return to base with 2400 gold, and buy 3 Blasting Wands.

Then boots.

Then another wand if I have 860+, if not, I buy a 435 book.

It is a flexible build really.