Help Me With Finding A Champion!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Quae

03-28-2010

I am an average player. I play with four above average players, so I'm usually facing above average enemies. If there is going to be a feeder in the match, I am usually it. I hate being the cause for game loss. ):

I can't seem to find a character that I can handle decently to try to avoid being said feeder. I do not have terribly amazing reflexes, since I started gaming later in life. Skill shots are fairly out of the question.

Characters I've tried:
Tristana: With various guides and builds, but never seem to kill or gank as much as I'm told I should be, die a decent amount, and while I can mostly solo hold mid against an enemy, I can rarely push it.

Alistar: With a few different builds, but his abilities don't seem very good for me. To make the AOE stun ossumly effective, it requires me to be in the middle of the team fight. I tend to die, even when I pop my ult.

Soraka: But everyone know she's killable unless you're a really good player, so it just gets me targeted more..which means I die more.

Kayle: I misclick her ult, so really, playing her is not worth mentioning. D:
Cho'gath: That was funny. (bad)

I don't know what kind of hero I should play. If you've read the 'Playing to be Evil' guide, I'm mostly a defensive tight player with blood rage(working on that) and an urge to be heroic to save my friends. Ranged might be better, 'cause it gives me time to assess situations better than melee, but maybe I haven't tried the right melee.

My team's characters are usually:
Singed/Shen/Zilean
Ezrael/Nidalee/Anivia
Twitch
Warwick/Mordekaiser

Can anyone make any suggestions to synergize with the above teaming to make up for my skill inferiority? (I know, I'm asking to be flamed. It's okay. You can't say anything negative that I haven't already told myself.)

Bowflan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-28-2010

You should try to play Teemo. He is rather not complicated. His ulti is easy in use. It is realy good to see some area and don't be ganged. Teemo is ranged character, you need a tank in team to protect you and you can make huge dps. The only problem are stuns. Stun = no dmg = no lifesteal = you are easy to be killed.

TaigaStance

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

03-28-2010

Over time you'll get out of the "defensive tight" mentality.
But am I right to assume that you're currently afraid of dying? There's no direct cure for that, only practice and time will change it.
In any case, if you're going to play passive support, use Taric and be an aura mule. You don't seem like the type who'd play a DPS, to be honest.

Excession

03-28-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowflan View Post
You should try to play Teemo. He is rather not complicated. His ulti is easy in use. It is realy good to see some area and don't be ganged. Teemo is ranged character, you need a tank in team to protect you and you can make huge dps. The only problem are stuns. Stun = no dmg = no lifesteal = you are easy to be killed.
no. stop it. teemo is terrible. his poison does nothing late game, his shrooms can't be used in team fights, move quick is only for chasing and getting around, and blinding dart is just a blind, the damage is negligible.

Try nidalee, she can get a lot of damage in but also can be made into a support with an ap build and her heal + as buff. plus, shes the second best escape artist in the game, right after kassadin. And you seem pretty bent on survival :P

Ohforfsake

03-28-2010

My girlfriend is a pretty terrible player, but has been having success with Zilean lately. Maybe give him a try. The extra range lets you harass early game more often, and he's somewhat support oriented.

Thistlemin

03-28-2010

From what you said I am going to suggest the following champs who I think might suit your playstyle:

Taric- Good support, sustained life, Tank, can take a beating and keep on trucking as long as you play defensively.

Gragas- He is underpowered right now, and isn't very good against great opponents, but his barrels are very easy to use and you can do so at a safe distance. He has great lane control. This is based on using an AP build, not tank or his Belly charge. If you try to play melee as Gragas you will need much more skill to pull it off.

Udyr- You might really like Udyr. He is tankish, but I'd suggest you invest into Turtle stance and Bear form for his stun. Turtle will keep you safe and sound. He has zero skill shots so that's a +.

Janna- I've never played as her, but her playstyle could be in line with your personality. Again I think she is underpowered, but a very undervalued attribute in this game not only is picking good champs, but also picking ones first and foremost that you play well. Sure Alistar is a great tank and all, but if you suck with tanks, as I do, what good is he? Find a champ that suits you.

Nassus- I think Nassus may be a good place for you eventually to land. He does take a little more skill to syncronize all of his skills correctly in battle. It takes some gettting used to. His Wither skill to slow, timing his ult just right, etc. What Nassus has going for him are zero skill shots, lane presence and farming with Spirit Fire, and his Ultimate will make people fear from you and usually fall back or run away, which is good for you if you get into trouble. A strong Ultimate will keep you from dying as often, unless you get really aggressive and start over-chasing opponents, or playing Nassus like you would Alistar up in the front as an initator in 5 v 5 battles.

Also, Nassus is a strong champ tier wise. He is not underpowered like Gragas and Janna.

Good luck to you! BTW I main Nidalee, but her aggressive play can get you into trouble. She is awesome, but by no means is a support champ like people think of her as. This is a fals assumption. She is a killer. I don't see you having that mentality just yet. Give her a try some time though. Lots of fun and she is unique!

Quae

03-28-2010

Thanks so much to everyone who's given me feedback!

I'll be slowly trying out all these champions (And give Taric another go, I played one game with him when he was free and got roflstomped) and see how things go! I really appreciate you all taking the time to give me your advice. <3

I just tried Zilean and found him fun, but I will continue my breadth scan of champions!