"K/D doesn't matter"

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Descyphal

06-10-2011

I play to have fun. Getting kills is fun, for me.

Still, I get **** pushed like a prison inmate, in my games :P

coduii

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-10-2011

Is winning not fun? I'd rather have a crappy score and win than have a great score and lose.

Descyphal

06-10-2011

I'd rather have a game where people don't call me the N word and say AFK when I die once to a jungle wick and brand combo.

But then, I'm not a glory*****. I don't care if I lose, I care if I had fun, and felt like it was worth my time.

I live one time. I don't have to be the best at living, just content with how I do it.

IS1a420802574b139f7409f

06-14-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by coduii View Post
Play to win, not for k/d.
So what do you spend that time doing, while playing to win. Let me guess. Killing the other guys and not dying? Cause thats how I play to win.

DuffTime

06-14-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by herdsheep View Post
So what do you spend that time doing, while playing to win. Let me guess. Killing the other guys and not dying? Cause thats how I play to win.
I personally spend my time fulfilling my role, and placing clever wards.

If I'm a carry, I'll try to get lots of kills and shut down the enemy.

If I'm an initiate, I'll try to do it at the best time, when their team is split or when their carry takes a step too far forward.

Just getting kills and not dying will not win you every game.

Making the right plays will win you games.

If you get every dragon, and every baron, in an hour long game, and your team goes 0/12 (I don't know why there would be so few deaths in an hour but it can happen) then your team is going to be -far- ahead in gold, without any kills. Just 2 barons would already make up for 12 kills.

Tower control, intelligent pushes, good farm, all of these things might actually decide the outcome of a game much more readily than KDA.

Even if you feed 3 kills, but heavily out-farm the opponents, you'll still have more gold, and better gear, and a KDA will not reflect the fact that you're winning in items, even though you're down kills.

ONEmortal

06-14-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertZimmerman View Post
I'm getting really tired of hearing this. It definitely DOES matter, otherwise it wouldn't be in the game, and/or it wouldn't be rewarded for getting a kill. Granted, it's not the objective of the game, but just browsing through my past games I'm noticing a correlation (note: not causation) between how I did k/d and the outcome of the game. Most of the time when I lose, I have gotten a negative k/d, and most of the time when I win, I have a positive one. One thing you might also notice, (I'm going to be bold here and make up a statistic from my anecdotal experience) is that the team with the higher kills/lower deaths, generally wins. I'm not saying if you have a positive k/d and/or your team has more kills, you're going to win the game, but there does seem to be a correlation.
I think you just answered your own question. K/D do not matter. I don't care if my carry is 20-3-35 if they make a very poor decision to Baron at the wrong time when 3 of us are dead, they die, and the enemy team pushes our Nexus down. What good did that 20-3-35 do in that situation? Nothing.

K/D didn't matter in DotA. They don't matter here. It has never mattered, and never will matter. This is not Counterstrike. This is not Halo. This is a MOBA, and a MOBA is based on a 5 versus 5 team based operation where the objective is to destroy the other Nexus. Just because you might be 30 kills behind, but you make way smarter plays and destroy the others Nexus, doesn't mean you are a noob that got lucky. That means you made a smarter play and actually focused on the objective of the game rather than netting kills all day.

Besides that point, one single good team battle can end the entire game. So because my team only had 8 kills but the game is over and we won we didn't play properly? No, that means we got 3 kills, plus aced the other team, and won the game by focusing on the real objective which is the Nexus. Does K/D matter here? Nope. Did it matter before this? Nope. Will it matter tomorrow? Nope.

K/D is a thing that people who solo queue focus on as a means determining their good play. They figure even if they lose the game, as long as their K/D was positive that means it wasn't their fault. This is so far from the truth it hurts.

I can guarantee you that I have left games even as a carry with the least amount of kills on the team, but tons of assists. Why? Because I happened to not get the last hit on the majority of our kills. Did we win? Yep. Did I care that I wasn't getting last hits? What difference did it make? We won. I did my job, my team did their job, whoever got the last hit makes no bit of difference besides the fact that I had to kill a few extra minions to make up for the loss in gold.

I play to win. Not to tell my team "Well, I got the best score here and you guys got tons of deaths sooooo that means I'm a BOSS!" when we just lost.

DuffTime

06-14-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONEmortal View Post
I think you just answered your own question. K/D do not matter. I don't care if my carry is 20-3-35 if they make a very poor decision to Baron at the wrong time when 3 of us are dead, they die, and the enemy team pushes our Nexus down. What good did that 20-3-35 do in that situation? Nothing.

K/D didn't matter in DotA. They don't matter here. It has never mattered, and never will matter. This is not Counterstrike. This is not Halo. This is a MOBA, and a MOBA is based on a 5 versus 5 team based operation where the objective is to destroy the other Nexus. Just because you might be 30 kills behind, but you make way smarter plays and destroy the others Nexus, doesn't mean you are a noob that got lucky. That means you made a smarter play and actually focused on the objective of the game rather than netting kills all day.

Besides that point, one single good team battle can end the entire game. So because my team only had 8 kills but the game is over and we won we didn't play properly? No, that means we got 3 kills, plus aced the other team, and won the game by focusing on the real objective which is the Nexus. Does K/D matter here? Nope. Did it matter before this? Nope. Will it matter tomorrow? Nope.

K/D is a thing that people who solo queue focus on as a means determining their good play. They figure even if they lose the game, as long as their K/D was positive that means it wasn't their fault. This is so far from the truth it hurts.

I can guarantee you that I have left games even as a carry with the least amount of kills on the team, but tons of assists. Why? Because I happened to not get the last hit on the majority of our kills. Did we win? Yep. Did I care that I wasn't getting last hits? What difference did it make? We won. I did my job, my team did their job, whoever got the last hit makes no bit of difference besides the fact that I had to kill a few extra minions to make up for the loss in gold.

I play to win. Not to tell my team "Well, I got the best score here and you guys got tons of deaths sooooo that means I'm a BOSS!" when we just lost.
Bravo, bravo.

RobertZimmerman

06-14-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONEmortal View Post

So, I think you just contradicted yourself by saying that. One good team fight hm? So essentially what you're saying is by killing them, and losing the least amount of people on your team, you can end the game? Yet kills/deaths don't matter eh? How do you lose games? Most often, your team is dead, and the enemy team is free to destroy your nexus. If you don't die, and kill them, most likely you'll win. The two go hand in hand. When's the last time you destroyed the other team's base while all 5 of them were alive? Think about it...

By your logic, creep kills don't matter, baron doesn't matter, dragon doesn't matter, neutral buffs don't matter, warding doesn't matter, items don't matter, because the ONLY objective is to destroy the nexus. Why bother even buying items then? Because they help you achieve the main goal? Gee, I wonder what getting kills does...

Quit being so ignorant.

DuffTime

06-14-2011

Quote:
So, I think you just contradicted yourself by saying that. One good team fight hm? So essentially what you're saying is by killing them, and losing the least amount of people on your team, you can end the game? Yet kills/deaths don't matter eh? How do you lose games? Most often, your team is dead, and the enemy team is free to destroy your nexus. If you don't die, and kill them, most likely you'll win. The two go hand in hand. When's the last time you destroyed the other team's base while all 5 of them were alive? Think about it...

By your logic, creep kills don't matter, baron doesn't matter, dragon doesn't matter, neutral buffs don't matter, warding doesn't matter, items don't matter, because the ONLY objective is to destroy the nexus. Why bother even buying items then? Because they help you achieve the main goal? Gee, I wonder what getting kills does...

Quit being so ignorant.
Not wise to call him ignorant after taking his words out of context.

You state K/D matters. He states K/D does not matter.

He's referring to score. Your kills and your deaths could be 2/5, and if you made the right choices, at the right times, and you caused the win, then clearly, your kills and deaths did not matter.

Does it matter that you caused their entire team to die? Yes.

Does it matter if you were the reason they all died, be it through damage, or initiation, CC, or whatever? Yes.

Does it matter if you got the kills? No.

That's the point people are trying to make. It does not matter if you get -any- kills, as long as you cause your team to win. Your team could get 0 kills the whole game, but as long as you break the nexus first, you won, and you did what you had to do.

To say he's being ignorant, taking his words out of context, while ironically you yourself are ignoring the entire point, is quite humorous.

ONEmortal

06-14-2011

Quote:

Quit being so ignorant.
From good decisions well past the point of pressing Q W E R. Not from a high K/D ratio which is what you are trying to argue right now. Take your own advice.

Also, you are assuming so much right now with your second paragraph I will leave that one to itself. Everything you listed is what truly matters towards the end goal, not your K/D ratio. Good job. You got the right idea now. I'm glad I could help you see the truth.

EDIT: I just have to say this too. I think it's beyond hilarious that you take one sentence "One good team battle can end the entire game" and you automatically take this to be telling you that nothing else matters. Why even stop there? You might as well had just said that through that sentence all I'm trying to say is that from Level 1 and on we just have to keep butt rushing the Nexus until it falls. Think about what you're even saying before you post please. And in the future, read what someone told you and actually try to understand it before you jump to the conclusion that you gotta fire back when you're shooting nothing but blanks.