"K/D doesn't matter"

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RobertZimmerman

06-08-2011

I'm getting really tired of hearing this. It definitely DOES matter, otherwise it wouldn't be in the game, and/or it wouldn't be rewarded for getting a kill. Granted, it's not the objective of the game, but just browsing through my past games I'm noticing a correlation (note: not causation) between how I did k/d and the outcome of the game. Most of the time when I lose, I have gotten a negative k/d, and most of the time when I win, I have a positive one. One thing you might also notice, (I'm going to be bold here and make up a statistic from my anecdotal experience) is that the team with the higher kills/lower deaths, generally wins. I'm not saying if you have a positive k/d and/or your team has more kills, you're going to win the game, but there does seem to be a correlation.

As with all correlations, there's some that deviate from the normal curve. For instance I've won games where I've gone 5-10, and I've lost games where I've gone 18-6. It's not always true, especially not for heroes like taric, janna, soraka, karma, shen, etc... But for carries, if you consistently are getting a positive k/d ratio, (granted you're fighting in team fights, and not at base sitting on your 1-0 first blood 36 minutes ago) chances are you're doing something right.

In conclusion, stop saying it means nothing. Feeding an Akali 5 kills in the first 20 minutes means something. There is a relationship between winning + postive k/d and vice-versa, and it may not be the most important stat, but what else can you really compare to judge one's skill? CS maybe, but that's going to differ from duo lanes to solo lanes to jungle...

btw the reason I'm posting this is when someone posts their recent games, and have a bunch of positive k/ds but not always wins, and say they don't belong in their ELO, trolls on the forums like to bring them down a peg saying "K/D means nothing". Maybe they're insecure about their own failures idk, but just had to get this off my chest. Thumbs down if you want, but you can't sit here and tell me that 0-15 noob who intentionally fed on your team didn't lose you that game.

TLDR version: There is none you lazy *********************************. Bye.

feed lag repeat

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-08-2011

look, you make it sound as if you destroy your lane every game

if that is the case,
1. try ganking other lanes
2. try buying wards to cut not die
3. tower is not infinitely strong

but i have a feeling you are one of the noobs that occasionally has a game where you get most of the kills by luck in a team fight, blames the jungler if you get owned in a lane, and when you lose a game its never your fault

IS1a420802574b139f7409f

06-08-2011

This is a misleading title. K/D ratio does not matter. Feeding matters. The ratio in and of itself doesn't matter for ****.

For example 0/3 can be a great score, but is a horrible ratio. 4/24 is always a bad score that you should be banned for, even though its a better ratio.

The point is kills don't really matter much. Deaths do matter, especially early game. With the exception of a few good back door champions, high deaths means doing it wrong.

However, you cannot base many statistics on K/D ratios, even ignoring different champion roles and backdoor champs - for example a tank will often have an increasingly worse amount of deaths based almost entirely on how bad his team is. His job is initiate cleanly - not get back out. If his team doesn't follow him in and kill the bad guys, he will die.

For further example of why this is not a good argument, if ELO was based on K/D… jesus **** I would never play anything besides Kassadin ever again.

Another good example was that I can easily get a positive KD ratio on Sona or Shen - they are very good at last hitting champions if you try. You shouldn't try. In fact, if I end up with a 10/4 ratio on them, it was either because I didn't think I could rely on my team and we are probably losing or because I noobed it up.

RobertZimmerman

06-08-2011

Okay that I can understand that. Kills don't mean that much, unless you do something with them. I agree with that. And to "feed lag repeat" I do fine in my own lane most games. I normally don't die, and it's not rare that I get a kill or 2...the problem is, whenever I go to gank (which I do try), the mid is normally competent enough to call mia, or they have where I went to gank warded, or they just instinctively know they shouldn't be pushing. I do buy wards though. For instance last game I warded their blue, and sure enough an irelia shows up there to solo it. She was at 50% and I pinged for everyone to come. Our ****** xin kept farming against an AP TF (LOL), and only me and sona went...We got irelia <5% and then her teammates came to help (including the AP TF). So we lose, then after we've all died, the xin decides he'll help after we're all dead. Jumps in, gets rune prisoned and feeds them some more. There's a situation outside of my control. I warded, I pinged a billion times for xin to come, and the rest of our team and they don't listen.
It's just really frustrating sometimes.

I agree though kills don't mean that much (they do late game when turrets are left defenseless for 50s+) unless you carry your team. I'd rather have an 0-2 than a 9-9.

EDIT: I also push towers when I see my partner is gone, which I try to harass, while at the same time trying to last hit and keep the other lanes. Otherwise I just last hit, let their ******ed karthus push mid with his bombs thinking he's doing good, only to get ganked by a teammate and me. That's why last hitting is so important. Your laning opponent has to choose between risky positioning or getting experience/gold.

Dr rAndOm

06-08-2011

As long as ur doing the right things, K/D doesnt matter.

I believe that I am a good player, as I've played over 2000 games. However, I've never think about that I am a pro. I am just normally good among players at my level.

Why K/D doesnt matter?

Because we are expecting to play a good game more than to play a game for wins. Normally we dont play seriously.. with our 100% capacity, especially in solo games. So if everyone is doing the right thing, it will be a good game and we won't complain or tell the beginners the truth: " they r bad". No matter what the score will be... no mater who win or lose.. If we want, I believe most players at my level can be legendary most of the time. Why dont we play carefully and get a good K/D? Because playing too careful just makes you a nub and it's totally no fun to do that. I kill ppl with less than 200 hp very often. I think that's what a good player should do. Keep running away with low hp... that just makes us cowards like those beginners. So just ignore the K/D and play a gg.

The truth is.. if everyone is doing the right thing... it's not likely to lose. A brave team always has more chance to win. Beginners + cowards make a team lose almost for sure. :/

I wont even accept those friends who add ppl only based on their previous K/D records. We conclude after we watched how ppl play the game rather than from their K/D records. The only problem is that how can beginners understand the game as much as good players.

Pectojin

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-09-2011

It's not true that K/D does not matter, but it's hardly has anything to do with how the game turns out directly.

look at it this way: Score board is merly a way to measure how fed a champion is.
it does not matter if it's 20 to 50, because the team with 20 kills might just have 3 times the 50 kill's creep kills, or they might have killed the entire enemy base and gotten lots of gold off of dragon etc.

Apeman4life

06-09-2011

every aspect of the game matters imo. Deaths, kills, assists etc... to say kills dont matter makes no sense for the fact that even a small gold adv on your opponent helps. Same situation for deaths and assists. To deem these as different lvls of importance to every individual person would most likely result in a majority of them saying yes there are diff lvls of importance. Whatever helps you or gives a disadv. in anyway matters no matter how much the importance. Rename thread and add a imo at the end. lol just my 2cents

IS1a420802574b139f7409f

06-09-2011

Of course, deaths matter a great deal. If you never had a death on your team, it would be almost impossible to lose.

Tinate

06-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr rAndOm View Post
Because we are expecting to play a good game more than to play a game for wins. Normally we dont play seriously.. with our 100% capacity, especially in solo games. So if everyone is doing the right thing, it will be a good game and we won't complain or tell the beginners the truth: " they r bad". No matter what the score will be... no mater who win or lose.. If we want, I believe most players at my level can be legendary most of the time. Why dont we play carefully and get a good K/D? Because playing too careful just makes you a nub and it's totally no fun to do that. I kill ppl with less than 200 hp very often. I think that's what a good player should do. Keep running away with low hp... that just makes us cowards like those beginners. So just ignore the K/D and play a gg.
You and I would get along great. I fight like a hero every time. That's what gets my 18-1(morde) scores. 27-12-10(teemo/morde) scores. 21-5-12(kass) scores. Hextech 5v1 karth scores of 12-2.

coduii

06-10-2011

Play to win, not for k/d.