Crit Damage or Armor Pen?

Crit Damage 3 15.00%
Armor Pen 17 85.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Crit Dmg or Arm Pen?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ThaSwagKing

03-28-2010

What up, I've been using Ez for a while now and I've had a full crit dmg rune page from when I used Ashe. I've been hearing a lot of talk about Arm Pen and how it's better then crit dmg. I'm here to find out if it's really true, convince me so that I know I'm not wasting IP to replace what could be a better build around Ez's AD build any way.

Saavedra

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

IM ON TROLL TEAM

03-28-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyaL Matakiss View Post
What up, I've been using Ez for a while now and I've had a full crit dmg rune page from when I used Ashe. I've been hearing a lot of talk about Arm Pen and how it's better then crit dmg. I'm here to find out if it's really true, convince me so that I know I'm not wasting IP to replace what could be a better build around Ez's AD build any way.
this is the question ive been asking

Spazzallo

03-28-2010

crit dmg by far!

Schokcha

03-28-2010

Even on crit-heavy champions ArP is better (read the topic linked in the first reply). More so on Ezreal, since his Q can't even crit.

Spazzallo

03-28-2010

no u

Booty Colin

03-28-2010

@ Spazzallo.. i've seen a few of your posts recently and none of them are even remotely helpful. they're short and cryptic, sometimes with negative tones. Not a flame.. just something you could work on. That said? Armor pen all the way. The thread link says it all. I used to be a CrD man too, but I've been having a lot more success with ArP.

wildfire393

03-28-2010

Assuming that the linked thread is EnderA's, the gist of it is this:

Armor Pen increases your damage by a percentage. This is because it lowers the target's effective armor, reducing the percentage by which your damage is lowered (thus resulting in a higher percentage of your damage going through). In fact, for most reasonable values of Armor (see notes), the percentage it increases your damage by is actually greater than Crit damage increases your damage by even on a critical. And on non-critical attacks, it is still increasing your damage by a percentage, while Crit damage does nothing. To make matters even better, skills that deal physical damage but cannot critical, such as Ezreal's Mystic Shot, are increased by Armor Penetration while Crit Damage does nothing.

Note 1: At very low levels, you will have more armor penetration than the target has armor, which means some of your armor penetration goes to waste. What this means is that your criticals MIGHT do slightly less damage at first level than if you had at least some crit damage runes. However, it is still insanely close. With just marks in Armor Penetration or Crit damage (19 Armor Pen or 20.07 Crit damage), the break even point on a critical is 10 armor, which I don't believe any champion starts under. When you consider that this is fewer than 1 in 10 attacks at first level (barring Ashe, Shaco, or stacking crit items), there should not be a reason to pick up Crit damage for early game damage output. The only situation in which Armor Penetration would be an inferior choice is if you are playing a champion geared at Armor Reduction effects reducing them below 0 armor (as penetration has no effect at this point). The only champion this currently really applies to, however, is Black Cleaver Gatling Corki.

Note 2: At very high levels facing heavily geared tanks, the effect of Armor Pen sees some diminishing returns (as the difference between 219 armor and 200 armor is a much smaller difference in reduction than between 49 and 30 armor). The break-even point between 19 Armor Penetration and 20% Crit Damage on a critical is 109 Armor. However, if you add any other armor Penetration to this equation, it raises this number. Adding a Last Whisper to the equation makes the break-even point 181. Adding a Brutalizer as well raises this to 206. And remember, this is all on Guaranteed criticals only. If your crit chance is only 10%, the break-even point on 19 ArP versus 20 CrD is 1000 armor.