Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Why Jungle?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Exulen

06-08-2011

Maybe it’s just me, but I do not see the point in having a jungler instead of having full lanes. Having played many 30 lvl games, I have noticed that if only one team has a jungler, then that team 95% of the time loses the turret in the single man lane before the side lanes reach lvl 9. In the far fewer games I've played where both teams have a jungler, this is not a problem but having the better jungler seems to have no impact on who wins. I have heard that it is to give more experience to the solo laner, but this is often counteracted by losing their tower first because killing towers is more important that getting kills, baron, dragon, and winning team fights. I’m sure we’ve all had those games where one team had next to no kills and won because they were able to kills more towers faster than the other team even though the other team had significantly more kills. And in games where there are two junglers, it is counteracted because both teams are getting more exp from the solo laners. In short, it does not seem to affect who wins in the end at all if your team does or does not have a jungler.

Can anyone then explain to me why we have junglers?

Dasno

06-08-2011

Ok, to counter you.. I've played many more games where the jungle won the game for his/her team, with ganks, and two high lvl/farmed carries. I've been in games where the jungler didnt gank, and top lost there turret, but then free farmed, and still won. So its all in the team. Junglers are +1 if everyone plays there roll right.

But there are always going to be games like you mentioned. Especially depending on your que, I notice more fail junglers in non ranked games.

Dissønance

06-08-2011

As you expressed, the main purpose of the jungler is to offer another solo lane to your team for more experience than gold. A jungler also creates fear of pushing too hard on the other team because you can make them pay when they do. A jungler makes the other team by wards to sate this fear. A jungler gives you control over the major map objectives, namely: red and blue buff, dragon, and baron. Junglers also create map presence and can take over entire portions of the map, making it that much harder for enemies.

The point you bring up regarding the 1v2 is a valid concern however. When you are going to jungle and it is possible that the other team won't, you must make sure that your other solo is someone who can handle a 1v2 situation. It then also becomes vital for the jungle to support this person as much as possible. It is almost impossible not to push a 2v1 unless you give up last hits; this makes you very vulnerable to jungle ganks. This also means that it is almost always possible for the jungler to gank the 1v2 lane.

Regarding your point about when each team has a jungler. You are right when you say that junglers just tend to offset each other when each team has one, at lower levels anyways (or with more inexperienced junglers as they just tend to farm their own jungles for quite some time). At higher levels, when junglers are more experienced, they attempt to invade and gimp the other jungle. This essentially leads to what could be analogous to a lane, except that you can now deny creeps. This can have a huge impact on who wins, because one person may be significantly underfarmed. Also, A well timed gank can easily turn into a tower kill if it is even remotely successful.

Hopefully I have responded to all your concerns. Let me know if you have any questions with my arguments.

ThrawnFett

06-08-2011

It depends a lot on who is in the 2v1 lane. I can normally hold by myself against 2 with a champ like Morgana. And still get last hits. A mobile tanky DPS (like Renekton) can often do it too.

However, certain champs on the duo lane side can really kill this. Blitz and Singed come to mind. Them paired with a slow or stun can make it hell for the solo.

But, as said above, you get more gold, more exp, and better ganks by having a jungler.

Exulen

06-08-2011

egEnSnare,

One tactic that I often find in the 2v1 lane is that you intentionally push hard and deal as much damage to the tower to either force the jungler out of the jungle to deny him its minions or to eliminate the tower quickly to then proceed to gank and push on other lanes to take towers

y2khippy

06-08-2011

One thing that i notice ALOT is when a team has a jungler, they dont ask pre game who will be solo lane due to this. Yes i know Ranked Games are quite more organised, but communication is vital when setting up a team and the Jungler MUST ask if it is ok to Jungle and who will be solo laning. Autolocking in a char with smite is getting old and is almost halveing your chance to win. And i dont care how good you think you are at jungling if your team cannot solo you cannot jungle.

Rant over.

Haen

Recruiter

06-08-2011

To your point, if by level 9, your jungler has not come to help you gank in your lane at all, then well that is a poor jungler. Especially if you are constantly getting hammered and having a very hard time holding that lane. And a good jungler should also have good gank potential. Amumu with his stun bandage toss initiate and good AoE damage. Rammus with his ability to powerball in and taunt. etc...

Personally, I love it when I'm the only jungler in the game. It makes stealing the enemy team blue real easy most of the time.

annabell33tz

Recruiter

06-08-2011

Jungling is usually not useful until you get to level 20+ because by then your attacks do enough damage to keep you alive when facing the minions. Often enough you need to make sure that your team is okay with your jungling and can back you up so you don't get ganked in the midst of it. Jungling can be very difficult, make sure you know what you're doing before you do it. Or else it may leave you behind in the game in the end.

Ebay Account

06-08-2011

A jungler's here to let someone solo lane ( so the person who solo should be able to handle 2v1 ) and the jungler should gank people ( on all 3 lane ) in order to give an edge to his/her team. In ranked game it's a necessity.

Lusis

06-08-2011

The reason is that the vast majority of people do not understand how passive you should be when holding a 1v2 lane. Especially players that don't understand the game well enough to understand why a jungle is so important. So often you see the top lane be aggressive and go for kills instead of just defending. Basically they feel they have a built in excuse when they die so they push push, die, and then blame the jungle.