Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

[Guide] AP Shaco: Oh no, I'm dying!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

YUNG BEEF SHAWTY

03-27-2010

Shaco: Oh no, I'm dying!

Alright guys. I'm going to show you how to build a ridiculous Shaco. In this guild I will tell you how to easily 2v1 without breaking a sweat, make someone panic, and get away from just about any situation. Some of the things I'm about to tell you may sound odd, or may sound completely stupid. But hear it out and try it out if you're curious.

First off, I'm going to show you what items you're going to want to go for.

Level 1: Amplifying Tome and a Mana Potion

Level 3-5: Mejai's Soulstealer

Level 6-8: Sorcerer's shoes(Another Amplifying Tome if you have the gold)

Level 8-10: Sheen

Level 10-14: Blasting Wandx3

Level 15-16: Zhonya's Ring

Level 16-17: It's time to finally turn that sheen in to Lich Bane, Get another Blasting wand then save a bit more for it, or just buy it if you have enough.

Level 18: Now you have Mejai's Soulstealer(With god knows how many stacks), Sorcerer's Shoes, Lich Bane, and Zhonya's ring. This is ALOT OF AP.

Now for the build.

As for your first spell, you're going to want Jack In The Box. Second you're going to want Two Shiv Poison. At level 6 get your ultimate, but only 1 rank of it. Keep getting Two Shiv Poison and Jack In The Box until level 10, then get Deception finally. After you get Deception, you need to keep swapping back and forth between leveling Jack In The Box and Two Shiv Poison until there's nothing else left to level but Deception. After that is maxed, then level your ultimate.

Now, the reason you don't get deception early is because at such low levels, enemy champions wont be putting out enough damage to kill you fast, so you'll easily be able to get out of an iffy situation. Deception is a fantastic skill, truly, but it's also not good to rely on it to keep you alive. The reason on not getting the ultimate early is because your doppelganger will still put out the same damage and last just as long, he just wont explode for as much damage and that barely matters.

Now we're going to talk about strategy.

Shaco, believe it or not, involves more of getting opposing champion to chase you and believe you are nearly dead and an easy kill. This is where not using Deception often comes in handy. They'll come after you because they wont think you'll just poof away. It also involves catching them off-guard later in the game.

Early game.

Try to buy your items as fast as possible and run to your corner of the map as fast as possible. Your goal early game is to get to the end of the lanes bushes(The bushes closest to their turret in the lane) before the opposing team does and that means HAULING IT OUT OF THE STARTING AREA. Once there, quickly start setting up Jack in the Boxes. The absolute key to setting up these Jack in the boxes is that you put them as close to the wall as you possibly can. The other trick to this is putting them directly ontop of each other so that it looks like 1 jack in the box. If someone goes in to the bushes and gets jumped on by one, at first they won't be too scared of it. So stack those boxes on top of one another as accurately as you can. If all goes as planned, your partner is in the grass with you at this point, and you have 3 jack in the boxes on top of each other towards the end of the grass, waiting for the opposing champion to run in, thinking they got there first. The champion will run in to the grass and it will instantly be feared and rapidly attacked by the Jack in the Boxes, on top of you slicing away it it, and hopefully your team mate helping out some. Your job as Shaco early game is to be elusive and deadly, stack your boxes in places you think the opposing champ is going to run in to(Grass mainly) and make sure the best you can that your boxes are out of range of minions. Just keep doing this until you're level 10 or so.

Mid game.

At this point you most likely have Mejai's, your shoes and your Sheen. This can be insanely deadly. You most likely have your lanes turret down by now and 3 or 4 kills. So now is where the fun starts. Strap those boots on and get ready to run around the map. Your goal now is to find paths in the woods that the enemy team is regularly taking. Crossroads in the map that are covered in grass are the best. Sit in your bushes and start stacking those boxes. Now you just play the waiting game. If successful 1 or 2 people will run through in an effort to stay together. When you see them coming just pop Deception and let them come in, open up on the one the jack in the box is doing the most damage to and down him, then Shiv the other. At this point the Jack in the boxes have taken the other person down to nearly nothing, and the Shiv will finish him off. After a while of getting used to this, you can make it look like you're dying on purpose to make them commit to getting you, even though you have full control of the situation. Your job as Shaco mid game is to set up escape routes for your team members to run to with your boxes, take out anyone with low HP, and make going through the woods much more deadly.

Late game.
Well you finally made it. You're probably level 17 or 18 now, you have around 450 ability power and your Two Shiv Poison is taking away around 70% of the average DPSers HP. You're free to do anything at this point. There's no stopping you. If the entire team comes after you in an effort to shut down your spree, just Deception over some tree's and disappear for a moment. Late game, your job is to leave your Jack in the boxes in places enemies are trying to go through in order to defend(Or attack if your team hasn't done so well).

So to sum this up;
Stack Jack in the boxes on top of each other.
Don't rush in to anything without making an escape route beforehand
Don't be a Shaco that uses Malady and a Mining Pick

Deadly Paradox

03-28-2010

Not getting some form of regeneration early game is going to get you wtfharrassed out of your lane against any player that knows his head from his ass.

Vindeen

03-28-2010

*sniff*

I smell fail..

YUNG BEEF SHAWTY

03-28-2010

Yes, 7 mana per 5 is game breaking.

derick0

03-28-2010

I'm gonna be frank, this guide is your typical old school AP shaco that no longer appears due to ineffectiveness and consistency to yield a proper result.

You do realize that the recent "nerfs" have been geared to destroy AP shaco, the reduction of the AP ratio of the boxes and the initial damage they had before greatly weakened any killing potential the boxes originally had. and that no decent team would be dumb nuff to chase after shaco knowing very well that he has an invi blink skill. and your early game strategy is under the assumption that you'll have a limitless supply of mana and that you'll have all the time in the world to setup box nests. IF you manage to pull of the tactic once or twice, if the enemy has half a brain he can recognize patters, he would stop chasing you or place cheap wards to screw you over. and you do realize that you don't mention anything about staying in lane at all. exp and gold in lane has proven to be far more superior than hero kills which occur only so often, you condemn yourself to living in bushes and only appearing once you need to lure some dumbass or possibly when you need to regen since you have little to no mana regen item. and you also realize the possibility of the enemy tank(morde, singed, alistar) walking into the bushes while your in the middle of stacking since you plan to place the boxes in common routes, causing him to trigger the boxes in which you place so much time and mana placing, while he takes little to minor damage.

Booty Colin

Recruiter

03-28-2010

start regen pendant go golem? just throwin it out there. plus yeah.. AP clown is a bit outdated but still playable at low ELO(like mine)

MisterImpossible

03-28-2010

As an experienced Shaco player in both AD and AP, I've learned somethings. First off, AP Shaco yields incredible individual KDR's and scores. But to note with caution, AP Shaco only yields such high results due to KS'ing from carries and people who will make you win. AD shaco is much more effective in terms of overall damage output by alot, but AP shaco can just survive and do negligible damage. AD > AP in every scenario. AP Shaco will actually make your team lose. I've noticed that I've lost a ton of games despite me going 10-1-5 or something. It's a fact that AP shaco is not only a not very good hero in terms of damage output and such, but he also will just steal kills with his two-shiv. When you killsteal, it takes money away from your useful carries and useful support.

AP Shaco is not only outdated, but it was never the way to play in the first place.

vincenz0

03-28-2010

im glad i never played AP shaco then..rofl

BlueBuddha

03-28-2010

Try getting a guise b4 SS, and a void staff b4 zonya. i would ditch the sheen if your playing straight AP. lich bane only good if ur going for hybrid. I pick a lane and lock that shi t down tight with boxes at every entrance while pushing hard, forcing to come to that lane and usually right into a trap. in team fights dropping boxes at every escape route while repeatedly shiving weak casters and using clone as big bomb.

Fragglerock

Recruiter

03-28-2010

The amp tome in the beginning is near worthless, while HEALTH regen would be amazing. After you kill golem you'll have all the mana you need for a while, and your bottleneck for harassing and doing more damage is having the health regen.

Also, I think AP shaco is something you can pull off, but you need to be good. Advantages are that your primary escape mechanism isn't ALSO your primary burst dmg, you don't need to be in melee range, your shiv's can fairly easily get to 4.8 sec cooldown, and the range was recently buffed. The bonus damage to jitb is still good, but you will need a couple more to take down someone beefy.

The problem with AP shaco is that you can't auto-attack someone to death, and this hurts you the longer the game goes as melee and tanks get harder to take down. Also, spell shields suck.

And you have to just assume that no one will chase you into boxes, you just need to make a nest in high-traffic areas. Beauty is that if you are still putting them down, you only need a couple to soften someone up for an easy kill. Still, the 90 second timer makes it pretty lame, especially if you spend 60 seconds putting them down.

Again, AP shaco works, but not once everyone is 18 and full tier items.