My Ranked Solo Queue Saga (I need help)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Myslead

06-14-2011

One of them would have been okay, a Teemo or a Swain would have been okay, but not both of them. Also Jarvan wasn't able to protect anything, he was always just waiting it out, usually letting me and Veigar do the heavy lifting. That is why another beefy character would have been useful to keep them distracted elsewhere while Veigar and I or even Teemo would do work. But in a perfect world, I can see my team work, we had hard cc and everything; it's just that the skill level of these players didn't make it work at all.

I'll try just picking the hero I'm good with and not care about team comp when I solo solo queue, I'll compile the results

OnlyBotLane

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-14-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myslead View Post
This has nothing to do with Solo Queue, but I've been playing Jax for a couple of games here and there when I wanted to try that 'Strange Jax Build That Works' seen in the thread of the same name. I even have that Jaximus skin because I thought it was too badass to not get when it was released evne though I rarely play Jax. I've come to term that I'm not a very good Jax player as the two normal games I've played, not only was I decimated, but my whole team was also, any advices from any Jax players out there ?
Don't fall into the trap of thinking "I must get guinsoo's rageblade because of the synergy with Jax's ultimate". Not only does it not add much DPS early on it actually requires you to build stacks which in a team fight is very hard. It isn't a bad item and can help you duel or backdoor but there are just other items that could be used to better effect. Instead it's often better to work on your burst damage and then add some beefiness with resists.

PS. Don't judge me by the stats on my profile. All of it got messed up when there was server maintenance. I've had 1 loss and 0 wins and used something like 6 champs in the one game... Just don't believe the lies.

Juyil

06-14-2011

Have been following this post for sometime; i could get some really good tips from the people posting here, plus i now i try to find mistakes in my matches, hope that it keeps up.

Gunflame

06-14-2011

Quote:
One of them would have been okay, a Teemo or a Swain would have been okay, but not both of them. Also Jarvan wasn't able to protect anything, he was always just waiting it out, usually letting me and Veigar do the heavy lifting. That is why another beefy character would have been useful to keep them distracted elsewhere while Veigar and I or even Teemo would do work. But in a perfect world, I can see my team work, we had hard cc and everything; it's just that the skill level of these players didn't make it work at all.

I'll try just picking the hero I'm good with and not care about team comp when I solo solo queue, I'll compile the results
I wouldn't go asas COMPLETELY disregarding team composition, but I wouldn't pick a suboptimal champion.

I mean if you have:
- Annie
- Nasus
- Ashe
- Veigar

You already have FOUR heavy last hitters... going for a 5th last hitter would be nightmare. Here I'll take my jungler since my team doesn't have one. I could go either Eve or renek. Renek for aditional tankiness, eve for early snowballing (we have good nukes). Chogaths and other AP casters would be a nightmare. Soraka would also work well, but it would depend on the enemy

But I mean if we are something like this:
- Alistar
- Akali
- Annie
- Nocturne
- ???

Enemy has: Vladimir, Rammus, Ashe, Taric, irelia
3 AP, 1 jungler. Since I'm last pick I'm supposed to get a Physical ranged carry for a solo lanee... and akali lanes with alistar.

Do I get Tristana/Caitlyn? NO!!!!! Because I suck with ranged AD carries. I can't use Evelynn because I only jungle with her, If I go chogath we will be lacking in substained damage. My choices would be Ryze, Brand or Swain. Yes another AP...

Why not renek?. Because they have a AWESOME CC... and Renek is weak against CC, he just sits there getting wanked and dies without doing much. Swain, Ryze and Brand allow me to counter Vladimir or Ashe in the solo lane. The AoE from Brand will be amazing with 3 squishies and with Alistar's stun. Ryze also have awesome AoE and tankiness, while Swain is just annoying also the enemy team is not very dependant on blue buff so getting Golem should be easier than it looks.

Cyvien

06-14-2011

So I read through this...LONG thread...and had some thoughts. I've played over 1k matches and have gone from 1000 elo to 1386 over the past month, and this is what I tell my friends (while trying not to sound pretentious, just trying to help).

#1: Play a limited amount of heroes.

I play Vladimir, Singed, Amumu, Annie, and Ashe. I will not play any other champion in ranked. Why? Because I've played each of these heroes for about 50-100 matches each, I know beforehand EXACTLY what items I will get, what they are capable of/not capable of, etc. I really suggest focusing on 3-5 champions. Play each in normal 20 or so times as practice, and get really good with them. Then start playing ranked.
#2: Farm.
Your biggest enemy early game is NOT the opposing team's champions, its your minions and your turret. Every time your turret or minion finishes off a creep, they are stealing gold from you, so don't let them! If you are a solo lane, you should make it your goal to get 6/6 of each minion wave, and you should be kicking yourself if you missed even one minion kill. Never auto-attack, only last swing.
#3: Wards win games.
If you are laning top or bottom, you MUST buy a ward on your first trip back to the shop. Now, the largest mistake I see in-game is ward placement. People tend to place wards in the bush located at the very end of the river...this is terrible! Instead, place the ward halfway between dragon and bush if you are bottom, or halfway between baron and bush if you are top. That way you will get more advanced warning for potential ganks, and will be able to see enemy jungles who are trying to grab blue buff.
#4: Don't overextend.
Don't push your lane all the way to their tower if you don't intend to damage their tower. And NEVER go into their half of the map without your whole team grouped up. This seems like a no-brainer, but I've seen more carries who have been doing well get too headstrong, and feed in this fashion as a result.
Good luck, hope some of this helps.

Myslead

06-14-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juyil View Post
Have been following this post for sometime; i could get some really good tips from the people posting here, plus i now i try to find mistakes in my matches, hope that it keeps up.
that's the plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunflame View Post
I wouldn't go asas COMPLETELY disregarding team composition, but I wouldn't pick a suboptimal champion.
Yeah I didn't mean completely disregard the team comp either, but mostly if they can afford it. And you make very very good point with trying to find synergy within your picks even though it doesn't really fit a good team comp ! I never really thought about this... I mean I do think about team synergy, but not if it doesn't fit the team comp. Good good advice. A+ mister.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyvien View Post
So I read through this...LONG thread...and had some thoughts. I've played over 1k matches and have gone from 1000 elo to 1386 over the past month, and this is what I tell my friends (while trying not to sound pretentious, just trying to help).
Very good advices too. They are basically the fundementals of MOBA games. I've noticed alot of people don't do what you've stated. I myself overextend maybe too frequently, but only when my summoners spells are up, I tend to play aggressive.

Don't know why your post is light gray though, it's difficult to read lol

Crayth

06-14-2011

Hey, I think it's awesome how you're chronicling your Ranked endeavors, it not only helps you get better but other people can read the tips and learn things they might not have realized or understood before.

I personally am a ~1400 ELO player, but I've only played about 130-150 ranked games (over the past month and a half) so I wouldn't say that I'm settled in at that level yet, I still have some room to move around (probably a little south, though I'm doing my darnedest to prevent that!

If you want to add me in game and play some duos, I'd be more than happy to play. Name's Crayth. If you'd like, I can offer tips (in-game or in this thread), though I'm probably doing more learning than teaching right now.

EDIT: By the way, the reason Cyvien's post is grey is because he hasn't agreed to the Terms of Service (found in My Profile, or it sometimes pops up when you make a post and haven't agreed to it yet)

Myslead

06-14-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crayth View Post
EDIT: By the way, the reason Cyvien's post is grey is because he hasn't agreed to the Terms of Service (found in My Profile, or it sometimes pops up when you make a post and haven't agreed to it yet)
ahhhhhhh, I never knew that ahah.

and sure I'll add you buddy; once the servers are back online or whatever... I have 20m queue.

Zixz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-14-2011

Quote:
ahhhhhhh, I never knew that ahah.

and sure I'll add you buddy; once the servers are back online or whatever... I have 20m queue.
And then, you'll be playing with me! (and my new Annie skin)

Seriously though, this has gotten to a nice size. You've been improving. You still need to learn when to play passive or aggressive. It makes all the difference if you can just adapt your play style in a lane.

I agree with everyone that has said play specific champions that you are good with. I have one for every role for ranked games. It does help. I still think you should play every champion plenty of times though, at least in normal so you have an understanding of everyone's strengths and weaknesses and what that particular champion brings to a team.

I know that there is still a ton of **** to improve on, but I wanted to add on to the whole champion bit, because where I don't agree that you should ONLY EVER play like 4 champions ever, it does help to be exceptionally good with a handful.

Eventually you'll find that champion that helps you climb 1300 to almost 1500 in a week too.

Pretenderz

06-14-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverAye1 View Post
I see no jungler in your team. That's quite a fail imo… So you may deserve your ELO.
jungling in low elo isnt smart since you cant rely on ur team for anything