Ashe Carrying the Team by Hi Thar

12345 ... 7
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nanaz

03-26-2010

Hi thar. This, as you might suspect, is a guide to playing the Frost Maiden - Ashe.

To start, I'd like to try to qualify myself in writing this guide feel free to skip this part if you don't care. I've been playing since sometime in last July and this account Nanaz was in the last top 500 ELO list. Since then I decided to switch to a different account for the most part due to wanting to queue up with my wife and some friends that weren't quite up for playing against full premades of the top 100s. Since then I've been playing on the account "Hi Thar" and ended up buying the Collector’s Edition for it and whatnot, so its pretty much my main now.

Currently I believe this account is probably somewhere in the top 20ish% of ELOs, as i've been seeing names i recognize from before. Currently I am 86 wins 24 losses with Ashe which puts me at about a 78% win rate. Due to all this I am confident enough to make a post about my build and strategies. =)

This guide is current as of Patch 1.08.10

I. Ability Commentary
II. Runes
III. Masteries
IV. Summoner Spells
V. Item Build
VI. Strategy
VII. General Tips

I. Ability Commentary-------------------

Focus (Passive) -

Quote:
While out of combat, Ashe's critical strike chance increases by 3/6/9/12/15/18% every 3 seconds, removed after next attack.
Comments: A very nice passive, people probably don’t pay enough attention to this, but when you get higher level and its raising your crit chance by 15-18% every few seconds then it makes it very nice for dodging in and out of fights. Volley does not put you in combat so you can use volley to slow and then follow up with this. Very good at level 1 for taking a squishy down to about half life with volley + crit.

Frost Shot -
Quote:
While active, each of Ashe's basic attacks slow her target's movement speed. This drains mana with each attack.
Toggle: Ashe's basic attacks slow her target's movement speed by 10/17/24/31/38% for 2 seconds.
Comments: A very nice constant slow that makes kiting a breeze. Leveling this will increase the slow applied when you volley as well. Slowing someone with this when it’s maxed and you have lizard buff on will pretty much make them run in place.

Volley -
Quote:
Ashe fires 9 arrows in a cone for increased damage. Volley also applies Ashe's current level of Frost Shot.
Ashe fires 9 arrows in a cone dealing attack damage +40/50/60/70/80. Volley also applies Frost Shot.
Cooldown
20/16/12/8/4 seconds
Comments: An amazing skill, you should be volleying whenever you can in fights. Scales with damage and armor pen. With this skill you can help team mates retreat, kite entire teams, farm creeps like crazy, keep their team slowed in team fights, and deal quite a bit of damage. SPAM

Plentiful Bounty -
Quote:
Each time Ashe kills a unit, she gains some extra gold.
Ashe gains 1/2/3/4/5 extra gold whenever she kills any unit.
Comments: Better than nothing. Slightly. Most creeps you can probably expect to kill with this maxed out is around 150. 5x150 = 750 extra gold over the whole game if you leveled this first. Considering it doesn’t synergize like your other spells do, you will want to get this last.

Enchanted Crystal Arrow -
Quote:
Ashe fires a missile of ice in a straight line. If the arrow collides with an enemy Champion, it deals damage and stuns the Champion for up to 3.5 seconds, based on how far the arrow has traveled. In addition, surrounding enemy units take damage and are slowed.
Fires a large arrow in a straight line. If it hits an enemy champion, it will stun that champion for up to 3.5 seconds, based on the distance the arrow traveled, and deal 250/425/600 (+x) magic damage. Additionally, surrounding units take half the damage and are slowed.
Comments: This is Ashe’s best. Can use it to pick off a single person nearby, or can shoot it across the map to help your team in a team battle. Try to aim for the squishiest target you can as it is the most likely your team can drop them before they get out of their stun. Avoid hitting people with Mercury Treads. Try to save it for a kill outside of team fights and in team fights works well as an AoE slow too.

II. Runes-------------------

Rune page is pretty basic for a carry. I use Armor Pen for Marks and Quints, Mana Regen per level for seals, and Magic Resist per level for Glyphs. Glyphs could also be Cooldown Reduction per level or flat Magic Resist runes. I just prefer the endgame survivability. The Mana Regen runes are essential to this build and thus dodge is not an option for seals. View Screenshot posted at the bottom.

III. Masteries-------------------

Masteries I go 0/9/21. Again the Mana Regen out of utility is essential to this build and the reduced cool down on flash and ghost is amazing due to those being key to your survival. View screenshot posted at the bottom for specifics. You can put a point into greed or a second point into utility mastery, either effect is pretty minor.

IV. Summoner Spells-------------------

Flash and Ghost are what I choose every game. Clairvoyance is nice but have a tank or support hero pick it up instead of you. You will need your summoner abilities to keep yourself alive. If you have both summoner abilities up then you can play much more aggressive than if they are not, so make sure to keep a close eye on what abilities you have up at all times. Other possible options instead of Ghost are Exhaust or Cleanse. Flash is non-negotiable-- if you’re not good with flash, then get good with flash.

V. Item Build-------------------

Your main focus with her is going to be damage and armor pen as those are the only two things that her volley scales with.

Your items should look something like this:

Edit 3/11/2011: I'm removing the item build in this guide. It is outdated so just enjoy the tips as most or all of them are still relevant! =)

VI. Strategy-------------------
(Sorry if these get a bit long, but they are solid gold I assure you! =D)

Levels 1-7
During this time you will just have a long sword and a potion to work with, so your health is a commodity. Always call solo mid; you’re the carry, so getting you to progress quickly will be beneficial to your team. Sooner you get your stack items the better too. Start out by checking your opponents items to see their life potential, how many pots they have, regen items, vamp scepter, etc. Try to move in and hit them with your first attack as it will have 100% crit chance, also get a volley off. Doing this could decide how your lane will go for the next few levels if it goes well- this is harder to do as your ELO rises. You’ll most likely be playing pretty defensively during this time, just concentrate on getting last hits on creeps, use volley as a last hitter and harasser. Depending on who you’re up against, if your opponent has boots, you may need to keep volley around for when they charge at you. Once you hit level 6, depending on how well you managed to harass them you may be able to get a kill or shoot your arrow across the map to another lane to assist them in 1-2 kills. Keeping your opponent’s summoner skills in mind is key to a good middle lane and avoiding unnecessary deaths. If they have a vamp scepter you will most likely just be staying back as your volley doesn’t do enough damage to keep up with their healing. At about level 7 you should have about 1300 gold and be able to return for your brutalizer and boots.

Levels 7-11
Now you’re ready to gank. Before going back to my lane in middle I check if mid is pushing hard and will need help, or if I can go grab a couple kills in the top or bottom lanes. Sometimes its as easy as shooting an ult at the top or bottom lane from the fountain and then heading to your lane. Now with your brutalizer you will be able to push lanes easy, farm like crazy and do some pretty heavy damage to towers. Pretty much just roam around while keeping an eye that mid isn’t getting pushed too hard and take advantage of your lead while you can. Try to get someone to help you our with lizard when you’re going out to gank as the added slow will help a lot in ganks. Depending on how things are going you may want to go back to base to buy when you have 1380 gold for your Sword of the Occult or when you have 1950 for upgraded boots and your SotO.

Levels 11-18
If all went well in earlier levels you will have some good stacks on your SoTO and Leviathan. Your volley will be pushin lanes like nothing and you will do severe damage to champions and towers. You’ll probably be the one to initiate for your team, so it will be up to you to decide whether or not the potential team fight will be winnable. Look at who you can see on the map to help you decide if you’re going to engage. Your mana regen will be keeping your mana up fine at this point and you should spam volley on any target you’re attacking. In team fights you will be keeping your distance as best you can with your slow and summoner spells.

VII. General Tips-------------------

-- Sometimes standing back a bit farther is better when attempting to gank. This will add more to your element of surprise and will also keep them stunned for a longer period of time so your closer-by allies can beat on them for longer.

-- If your on a premade, and the situation permits (Obviously is going to die and not too chaotic) tell your buds to try to let you get the last hit to build up your stack items.

-- Map awareness is key to playing Ashe even more than other champions. If you get caught in a bad situation you will likely end up dead for lack of escape abilities or tankiness.

-- During mid game if you see someone attacking the tower with only a few creeps, wait until they have only a couple left and fire your ult from a distance. If timed right your ult will kill the last couple creeps and the tower will either severely damage the champion or kill him.

-- Be sure to only toggle on your frost shot when attacking champions

-- Your slowing capability is where a lot of your survivability comes from. When fleeing, turn around and toss a volley out to slow everyone chasing.

-- When 1v1 with fiddle, volley before you’re in range to get a slow on em, then go in and start auto attacking with frost arrows. He will most likely try to run at you to fear you… just take a step back when he does this to kite him. With maxed out Frost Shot you can keep him far enough away from you to not let him fear you, and slow enough that he won’t be able to run. Free kill.

More tips to come… Criticism/Suggestions/Compliments are welcome and I will try to reply back in short order.

wildfire393

03-26-2010

Not a bad guide (you certainly avoid most of the rookie mistakes), but I have a few suggestions to improve it:

Masteries:
I would suggest going 11/0/19. For the offense, go 3 Crit chance, 1 Savvy (just to get to level 2), 4 Cooldown Reduction, 3 Armor Penetration. For the 19, go all the way up the tree, getting the move speed, mana regen, cooldown reduction. Missing two points means you lose out on one additional point at level 3 (meaning you can't take a second point in Utility mastery or a point of Greed, boo hoo) and the capstone, which is fairly minor. Getting the extra armor pen helps significantly.

Runes:
I would suggest Cooldown Reduction in your seals. With 11/0/19, this gives you 15%, meaning you hit the cap at max level with Golem.

Items:
I would strongly suggest starting with a Doran's Shield and a HP Potion. This extends your early survivability by a LOT, and makes the difference in winning your lane.
Berserker's Greaves is never really a great item. Since it only scales off of your base attack, it's only giving you something like .16 attacks per second. You are much better off getting Mercury Treads or Boots of Mobility.
Two snowball items seems like not a great idea. In fact, it seems like a great way to get repeatedly focused down and made worthless. Additionally, Bloodthirster is less of a priority than Infinity Edge, which raises your DPS greatly (especially given that your first hit of an encounter will usually crit). Ashe with an Infinity Edge, Last Whisper, and Brutalizer is amazing, fill in with a single Lifesteal item (Stark's is always good if no one else has it, Bloodthirster is amazing but expensive, and Executioner's Calling adds some handy crit chance for IE abuse) and a survivability item (Frozen Mallet if you feel that somehow you need more slow, else Banshee's Veil) and you should be golden.

Daderic

Adjudicator

03-26-2010

This is my same ashe item build except I don't think I've ever picked up a leviathan on her before.

Nanaz

03-26-2010

Leviathan is fairly new after that last buff they made to it.... having it give 2 stacks per assist.... very easy to get 12-20 stacks.

Nanaz

03-27-2010

First off, thanks for your suggestions =) Now let me take a look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildfire393 View Post
Masteries:
I would suggest going 11/0/19. For the offense, go 3 Crit chance, 1 Savvy (just to get to level 2), 4 Cooldown Reduction, 3 Armor Penetration. For the 19, go all the way up the tree, getting the move speed, mana regen, cooldown reduction. Missing two points means you lose out on one additional point at level 3 (meaning you can't take a second point in Utility mastery or a point of Greed, boo hoo) and the capstone, which is fairly minor. Getting the extra armor pen helps significantly.
Fairly small suggestion, but it's basically(given a 30 minute game) 180 gold over the course of the game and 15% reduction on summoner spells and some survivability or 6 armor pen along with a slight increase in damage. Either way I can tell you that if I was going that far into the utility tree I would without a doubt want the 21 point mastery. Flash and Ghost (summoner spells to be added shortly) are usually what keep me alive. If I don't have at least one of those up I'm usually playing very defensively.

Quote:
Runes:
I would suggest Cooldown Reduction in your seals. With 11/0/19, this gives you 15%, meaning you hit the cap at max level with Golem.
I could concede to this, I don't think the magic resist is a bad option but the extra volleys and ults is probably well worth it. However, if you get golem you will be far over cap since I grab brutalizer as well. I reach cap already with this build and golem. Going cooldown runes depends on how much you get golem really, I get it a fair amount.

Items:
Quote:
I would strongly suggest starting with a Doran's Shield and a HP Potion. This extends your early survivability by a LOT, and makes the difference in winning your lane.
I've played quite a few games, and the long sword just works for me. It makes your volley stronger for a harder harass and such. Also sets up your damage quicker and helps you farm easier.

Quote:
Berserker's Greaves is never really a great item. Since it only scales off of your base attack, it's only giving you something like .16 attacks per second. You are much better off getting Mercury Treads or Boots of Mobility.
Well the berserker's greaves are definitely noticeable, however I think trying out boots of mobility as another option is a good idea. Will test.

Quote:
Two snowball items seems like not a great idea. In fact, it seems like a great way to get repeatedly focused down and made worthless.
There is never a time when you play Ashe that you are not getting focused. This is just something you have to deal with. However I think it is worth looking at foregoing the Sword of the Occult. Will try a couple builds without it. leviathan however is horribly easy to keep stacks up on and the potential 110 damage from sword of the occult is pretty amazing for 1300 gold.

Quote:
Additionally, Bloodthirster is less of a priority than Infinity Edge, which raises your DPS greatly (especially given that your first hit of an encounter will usually crit). Ashe with an Infinity Edge, Last Whisper, and Brutalizer is amazing, fill in with a single Lifesteal item (Stark's is always good if no one else has it, Bloodthirster is amazing but expensive, and Executioner's Calling adds some handy crit chance for IE abuse) and a survivability item (Frozen Mallet if you feel that somehow you need more slow, else Banshee's Veil) and you should be golden.
Going to try a build with infinity edge. Will get back to you.

ObjectiveTruth

03-27-2010

Just to clarify, does Lizard Buff Stack with Slow?

Nanaz

03-27-2010

I don't claim to be any mechanics expert, but I am positive that there is an increase in slow when i have lizard buff.

TrrZ

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-27-2010

this guide is ok, but it's quite hard to find a elo range for it. you rely on 2 stacking items and that should mean the ability to charge them. so it's not good for newbies.

every death will hit ur hp and damage A LOT. charging BT is 40 kreep kils, doing it after every death is really hard. in high elo if you start causing trouble to enemy you'll get focused. if a good team want's to focus you, they will get you. small amount of lifesteal, little damage (compared to other ranged carries with the same build), no escape ability - you will most probably die.

so that's a guide for mid elo, where you meet good players who are mostly solo qeueing so their teamplay is kinda bad. But even there good solo player can focus you to death. Flash and ghost is a perfect choice, but tristana,jax, corki or fed shaco can still get you. unless you have a good tank

so that's a guide for mid elo player who has a tank in his team.

but wait. what if their team is tank heavy? shooting 5k hp cho or singed will make them laugh unless you have a very fed sword of the occult. midgame when you have brutalizer, soo and recurve bow you'll just make them laugh. no damage at all. unless you have bloodrazor and lw you will do nothing to a tank. and they can have udyr, jax, nasus as a 2nd-3rd tank and still have a lot of dps while you're doing laughable damage.

so. it's a guide for a mid elo player, having a good tank in his team going against mid elo pugs with little number of tanks.

plus, you cant farm really well having brutalizer, soto, lw and leviathan. it's 7k of items and you can't farm as well as when having bf+pick axe or bf+lw (wave (or 2 waves that has gethered in front of the tower) in 2 volleys+several shots with having most of the wave last hitted)

you are saying reasonable things, mana regen mastery and runes, flash+ghost, lw and veil. but i really dislike the idea of snowball items on ashe. also, i don't like brutalizer, unless they bring in yomumu spectre at least

SushiRolI

03-27-2010

Pretty close to the build i use with ashe. though i start with dorans shield, it helps a lot. having mid against nid and her harass is hard enough, but the armor, hp, and regen is pretty invaluable. I also grab inf edge after brutalizer, gives a big boost to her dps. however it really depends on the game, definitely grab a BV/merc treads if theyre stun heavy. Dont think ive ever tried levi on her either.

I did try SotO on her and didnt like it, early it doesnt really boost your damage, and she really just has to try and pick at people to get stacks up early if you buy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObjectiveTruth View Post
Just to clarify, does Lizard Buff Stack with Slow?
slows dont stack, whichever has the greatest effect is the one thats applied. So having frost shot on while having lizard is a waste. Not sure of the specific percents of lizard compared to frost shot though, so frost shot might be more effective when maxed, really no idea there lol.

wildfire393

03-27-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathgod197 View Post
slows dont stack, whichever has the greatest effect is the one thats applied. So having frost shot on while having lizard is a waste. Not sure of the specific percents of lizard compared to frost shot though, so frost shot might be more effective when maxed, really no idea there lol.
This is what was originally said in the Mechanics FAQ thread, however someone went through and tested it and found that slows are in fact stacking (or they are at least changing the speed numbers displayed in pane). The things that do not stack are multiple slows from items (i.e. if you were to have both a Frozen Mallet and a Rylai's Scepter or a Phage and a Trinity Force only the strongest applies at any one time), but everything else actually does stack.

12345 ... 7