[Guide] Shen...the not crappy guide

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Remunial

03-27-2010

Does his W actually block tower damage? The description says it blocks damage from champions only. Or at least that's how i'm reading it.

Quote:
Shen defends the next champion spell or attack, blocking up to 50/115/180/245/310 (+0.3) damage; lasts for 1 source of damage or 2 seconds.

treegun

03-27-2010

Feint to absorb random champion damage not towers... i wish it worked on towers ;-(

Jeffsekai

03-28-2010

Very good guide, thanks.

Gary Coleman

03-30-2010

This thread sucks and is not how shen should be played. He should be played as a hybrid tank. If you go full tank you go full ******... and everyone knows.... you neva go full ******!!!!

AFKray

03-30-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by treegun View Post
W is useless for anything but very predictable damage such as karthus's Ultimate. Having 1 rank early does not set you back too far and, to be honest, it has saved me a few times during an escape. Also, having Feint at max rank does not necessarily mean that it will absorb max damage, for the most part it is going to be absorbing poison dots and ignite tick's, which again, is why i do not level untill late game but i do pick up an early rank
Lool. All damage is predictable. An auto-attack is predictable. Ashe's volley is. Any ability with a cooldown (all) is. The point is you just need forethought. This game has cast animations and if you are too slow to react to those, then you shouldn't be playing Shen. He can bait like a Pro which leads to his excellence as a Tank. 1 Rank of Vorpal is personally what I get for the use of early game last-hitting and serving as essentially your Regen item. Proper use of feint is frankly where you see the separation from the bad and good Shen's.

The rule of thumb is to level it to keep it on par with the most threatening Nuke/ability. Usually spells out getting around rank 2-3 and then leveling Dash before maxing Feint. With a 2 second duration and a 3 second cooldown it's quite easy to cast Feint, then Dash for an Auto-attack absorb and wait for the taunt to wear off and just pop your next Feint. The typical and rational reaction is to respond with your nuke, which is absorbed by your next Feint. Another fantastic ability that Shen has is to be able to Dash in front of skill shots with Feint up for teammate saves.

Saying Feint is useless is perhaps the most ignorant statement I have read today.

Grandpappy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-30-2010

It's usefulness is dependent on who you lane against. It's difficult to block Mundo's cleaver, even if you're good at anticipating it, because it's attack animation is basically nonexistent. But Ashe, Ryze, Heimer, Teemo, etc? I always grab it early. It makes a huge difference in staying power in your lane.

Still wish it blocked effects. If you're ninja enough to throw it up before blinding dart hits, you should be ninja enough to not be blinded.

Skust

04-12-2010

great guide, helped me out a lot

NaroOmg

04-12-2010

SHEN CAN BE A DPS

His name is kennen though

I go for
Dorans/HP
Boots of swiftness for an easy match (Merc treds if they are stack magic/have fiddle)
Levi
Warmongs
Atmas
Either MR or Armour depending on there team

As far as runes im thinking flat hpregen for early laning or MR/level then agien i havent played much of LoL to really see the dif. for MR (although in leaguecraft i get 3k more megic health because of my runes)

RandallChong1017

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-25-2010

okay so shen is a tank. this has gotten me wins everywhere and kills too.

vorpal blade is the skill you want maxed out. then his taunt skill. the sheild is uselss. his ult of course get it when you can. keep an eye on your mini map and save your teammates and go in for the kill with his ult. as for items only get ONLY SUNFIRECAPES. If you do manange to get 6 capes and are owning everyone that is all that you need. for the summoner spells i use exaush and clairvoiance. that is just to help my team see if someone is coming. with a 55 second cool down its eyes all over the map. so yeahh sunfire capes. vorpal blade to get some crazy life tap and taunt to get them hitting you and getting burned by the cape.

SUNFIRECAPES

Resilga

04-26-2010

Bumping old, good thread. Hi.

I'm recently taking a great liking to Shen and I win often too. I'm level 23 at the moment so I'm not uber pro or anything but I play tank classes a good bit.

For some reason even in good games I find myself dying with Shen WAAYYY more than I do with other tanks like Morde/Malphite/Rammus/Cho/Poppy and most of the time it's bad placement or team participation. They don't know when I'm going to taunt I guess.

Usually I'm ACTUALLY focused in every engagement and I die even when my team is present. I'm great at saving team members (a 3v1 gank turns into 3v2 and we WIN?? awesome!) I try using vorpal for self heals during laning...

My summoner spells are Heal and Cleanse atm but I will try something more aggressive like Flash+Ignite, I have always liked them I just thought the heal was good for rescuing people.

I start by trying to build a Phage right off the bat and once Phage is done I build armor/dodge boots, then go back to finishing frozen mallet and THEN try for warmogs...

but in almost every game it ends when everyone is 17 and i'm level 14-15... and I've barely completed the Frozen Mallet and I NEVER get to Warmogs... I even try farming and **** I just can't do it.

I've contemplated doing my typical "3 hearts of gold" strategy that I use on bad-at-farming tanks...

Help me get cool items and not die as much. It seems you start off pretty cheaply which is nice. I want to try with the Sunfire capes, those sound nice to stack but again, so expensive to get even TWO...

How good is Frozen Heart for shen? Seems like something good to get but would there be an alternative?

What about Rylai's? big HP and some AP too?

Thanks to whomever reads.