Questions about Garen.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Retroromanic

11-17-2010

Hello all, didn't play for quite some time and just started playing back again. Last time I played Garen, most people used to rush Cape, even stacking them, which I never really liked. I was looking through (new) items and realized there might be a better solution.

How about trying to build towards Thornmail and Aegis? I didn't play enough games to test it (and mind I don't play with great players since I am low level), but I find it reasonable to get Thornmail first against typical mixed teams I encounter; and it's mostly because I don't feel that price tag on Cape is justified. 100 armor from Thornmail might just as well be enough for the whole game, especially when throwing in Aegis.

So, what I did was Null Magic Mantle as starting item (while playing against at least one caster in lane, which happens almost all of the time - I'll use it for Aegis later on) and going back to base after obtaining 2000 gold; Garen can stand in a lane for a long time due to regeneration and a kill or two will surely speed things up. Even better if I can buy first part of the boots along with Thornmail.

Does it make sense? Is there a better way of doing it?

Also, what rune setup you suggest for Garen?

Thanks in advance.

Techlo

11-17-2010

Tbh, thornmail is only useful if there is atleast one attack speed champion on their team like yi or twitch. The armor is nice but can be made useless because of armor pen and last whisper. Getting at least one sunfire on Garen will help since he spends so much time in sunfire range of them.

Aegis is a pretty 'meh' item because mid/late game its not gonna be doing very much for you.

Booterang

11-17-2010

Sunfire stack is good because it gives some armor and some hp. The general build for garen of two sunfirecapes and a force of nature will almost always provide enough mitigation. From there it is more beneficial to simply stack hp than it is to get more magic resist/armor unless your opponents counter you by getting armor/magic penetration.

Thornmail is a very situational item, while it is good for physical dps heavy teams, and is a direct counter for glass cannons like Twitch, in a normal game sunfire capes prove superior.

Aegis is a good item, but it is a bit meh on Garen since it is designed for a supporting role. Garen is supposed to get out there and smash heads, he is a dps that gears like a tank. Leave aegis for the champions whose role is tanking/CC, not tanking and dps.

Retroromanic

11-18-2010

All right, this was insightful and helpful. I'm going to try getting 2 x Cape, boots and Force of Nature next time, but just one question - what if MR is needed immediately?

Also, any runes you'd suggest that benefit Garen, but could also be useful regardless of champion? Armor penetration, dodge or health, flat MR? What about Quints? Is movement speed any good on quints? Or pure damage (since I might move on to Akali soon)?

Thanks again.

Blind Cougar

11-18-2010

If you need the MR first, pick up the Negatron Cloak first then start working for the Cape. It can be silly how much damage a cloak can shave off early game if you really need it.

As for Runes, best I've seen at Armor Pen Marks, Dodge Seals, and CD Reduction Gylphs. Gylphs can go either way for either Flat or % per lvl depending on your tastes. This also gives you runes that are usable for many different champs (Ar Pen for physicals, Dodge from tanks, CD Red for whoever feels like it). Quints You really can't go wrong with Flat Health, though Garen also loves his speed.