Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Shen - A DPS GUIDE

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mulaa

03-26-2010

Hi there, English is not my 1st language so I hope u guys can understand my GUIDE someway.

We can see many threads opened up to say about an useless Shen. In fact, I played more than 10 games with him and figured out st interesting about Shen. Most of you could think hes a semi tank. Thats right but not enough. IMO, hes can also an DPS with shield, dash and his ulti is sick enough for the enemy to stop trying to kill your team mates or a possible escape.

Here is my DPS build

First, I wanna say about what DPS really means. AD or AS? We can have more AD than AS or vice versa. Its up to u guys. Im not saying whick one is most benefit on DPS Shen.

Skill

R>Q>W>E

Lv 1: Q (a must cause you will be little defensive play style in the beginning and try to last hit)
Lv 2: W (should be cause you have to survive to farm)
Lv 3: Q (Should be E if you have early gank with ur lane mate)
Lv 4: Q and so on

Explanation about skill order:

You now play Shen as a DPS so E is not good when you get it more than lev 1 cause you will need E as an escape and chasing use not a tank use.

Items: This is the most interesting about my build

I was wondering what item I should get first on my build. Boot and health pot if you play little bit aggressive .

Second item is RageBlade. I can say that this item works perfectly on Shen and not expensive. Get it ASAP and you can see now you get no problem killing mobs. You can get any boot you want after that but I prefer Ninja. Why ? Cause I build dodge. lots dodge

What we gonna get next? SotD. Great AS, amazing passivet.

Next items should be AS or AD item. Last Whisper if enemies have tanks or stack armor. Wits End if many CC. If you farm well, go for Black Cleaver to boost AD or Phantom Dancer for many benefits.

Rune

Now I dont have enough IP for runes but I can tell you some recommendations to fit my build.

Yellow: Dodge runes for sure. You will dodge alot in game along with Phantom Dancer and your Mastery. Ninja means flexible, oh yeah )

Red: Armor Penetration or AS should be good. Dont even try Crit runes

Blue: Stacking Magic Resist or Cool Down runes should be good

Mysteries

I go for 0/9/21 on this build

Spell

Flash for sure

The 2nd one should be teleport (You need to farm alot), Exhaust, Cleanse or anything you wants

Strategies

With this build, you can have around 2k HP in late game and lots of dodge. I can understand how people feel when they played a ninja but hes unable to kill enemy. Your play style should be defensive but able to kill some one.

If they push tower, let them near tower and use E to force them attack you. Its basic theory as Rammus

With this build, you have no problem in jungling. You dont have any farming skill like any other champs so try jungling as much as you can and kill creeps. It required little patient

When you encountered an enemy, use the combo. W first and Q, hit hit, W, Q. IF they run, use E. If they are strong enough to kill you, E + Flash to escape or ulti after activing your W

Conclusion

Its all about my guide. I know I will have more work on him to find out other builds. Im very appreciated if you guys leave a comment here. We can open a discussion to find out what is good for Shen because I know many of you have the same feeling as mine about Shen. Hes a ninja so hes could kill enemy with his style. Lets find out his style together. Hope you guys enjoy my guide and have fun ^^.

Ive updated item build. Im now playing Shen as Tank and DPS. It depends on who are my enemies. My AD late game is over 200 and nearly 500 with crit. Stacked with KI, RAGEBLADE really did very good job.

Sinistral

03-26-2010

I stopped reading after DPS guide.

Shen is a tank, his abilities are poor for a DPS build at best, and the fact that you are building DPS leaves you with a significant lack of HP/Armor/M. Resist, so good luck using your Dash.

Just because his Passive may seem like it's worth to make a DPS build, doesn't justify it. It really helps him dealing solid damage using his tank abilities.

Tryntius

03-26-2010

"Shen is a tank, his abilities are poor for a DPS build at best, and the fact that you are building DPS leaves you with a significant lack of HP/Armor/M. Resist, so good luck using your Dash."

Agreed. This guide makes him usless in his tank role and a second rate DPS at best ie worthless.

urbanhawk

03-26-2010

I'd like to support this thread and Dps Shen.

When I first started with Shen I tried tank for my first 6 games. I went 1 win - 5 loses.
He felt like a strong character but as if something was wrong...

So I had a think and tried dps Shen. I then went 5 wins - 1 loss (due to having 2 afkers on my team and a mundo whos own words were 'But its a tanks job to die!' when I asked him to stop solo pushing) over the next 6 games. Shen actually felt like he was working as he should.

My items I aim for are:

- Frozen mallet
- Boots of Swiftness (was berserk boots but ive recently had more success with these)
- Phantom Dancer
- Malady

I've never had a game go long enough to get anything more then that.

From playing the two the main difference I've found is in his ability to change the tide of battles. As tank I'd ulti in and then.. well... the ulti was my main contribution. Your low dps so people just ignore you and kill your allies still then you. Sure you can taunt but its not overly spammable. Always felt as if you had the oppertunity but lacked the follow up.

Now as dps Shen it feels like a ninja. I ulti in there and cut someone down before the enemy even relises I'm there. not to mention I usualy save a team mate with my ulti, so then its 4v5. Shen has enough staying power from his 'tank' side to last in fights, sure his not as tank when dps, but I feel he contributes more as dps.

I think I should also point out he does require a very aggressive play style to work like this. He uses energy and not mana so I feel it supports this playstyle even more. I also play Ezreal and Karthus so I have a good sense of the map as a whole. You need to be aware of your allies at all times. When they need your help most they will not be able to type it so unless your on audio they will die. Make your enemies fear attacking your allies. Make them think every time they do, they will face your wrath.

As a last note: I run Exaust and Ghost. Exaust is priceless when you Ulti in to help an ally. With Ghost there is no escape from your wrath. With Boots of Swiftness and the movespeed bonus on Phantom Dancer even if someone flashes you will catch them. Remember running as fast as someone is not enough. You need to run faster then them so that when you do shadow dash you do it through them so you actually taunt them. then its GG. Once you have your slow from frozen mallet on them they wont be escaping.

To all the Shen's out there, Try. See what works for you. I personally feel I still contribute to the tank role even as dps Shen, somewhat the same way as a Jax or Yi can. If your contributing well and winning games then you must be doing fine as dps Shen. Just always remember your primary goal: Your allies life. I just find killing and fear is the better way to keep them alive then having me tank as Shen xD

BamSucka

03-26-2010

Doesn't his damage increase as his health increases?

Vindeen

03-26-2010

Shen is a tank, stop trying to make him a dps.

celestec

03-26-2010

0/22/8 Masteries
Crit Chance - Marks 8.4
Armor Seals - 13
Magic Res Glyphs - 13
Health Quint - 97
First Item Red Crystal -> Phage
Than boots of your choice I prefer Zerker
Than Frozen Mallet
Than whatever you need after than I get BF Sword cause this is no 10 k build

I use exhaust and teleport to always try and be always supporting my allies

Skills Q>R>E>W
This is not a DPS build

KeVoN xD

03-26-2010

If you want dps go udyr, he is just better than im in all dps aspect.

KaiTo1520

03-26-2010

well,,, i always go DPS... Shen is a very VERY good dps... i average: 10kpg and 2dpg... his abilities are already tanky...specially his ulti... so for me i dont think i should pump tankness anymore... Pair him with lifesteal and everything's done... i go almost the same as you but here it is: Boots/attackspeed, Malady/BT, Phantom[these 3 will pawn already], but i add brutalizer and last whisper for fun with other tanks...Using taunt wisely as a DPS can be VERY devastating for the target...hahaha...

TokinPrez

03-26-2010

I really fail to see why I would want to try to make Shen a DPS?? I mean I can take any character and toss a bunch of DPS items on them but it does not make them viable.

Fact is shen has ONE ability that does mediocre damage and everything else he has is either support or defensive. Alistar has higher damage abilities then Shen but you do not see anyone who is good going and making alistar a dps. Rammus has a taunt and super speed but again you do not see people making him a dps.

Shen can go the DPS route sure and his taunt can help keep people on him so he can get kills but at the end of the day this is a TEAM game and other carries far surpass shen.

How does making shen into a DPS make anyone want him over...Jax, Udyr, Sion and so on, all those melee dps will put out more damage and can keep enemies on them as well.

If your playing to goof around and don't care about your team and how best to work as one then go for it and turn a tank / support into a second rate DPS. If you want to be good at this game and a team player then play into his strengths and go for a tank or support build where you then become a asset.