Malzahar

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

iCudi

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-04-2011

Is he viable at low ELO?

I just recently hit level 30... and I really want to improved my game, I usually play Vladamir.

The first ranked game I played I was Vlad and I did decent... is Malz better?

Who is better in team fights? Vlad or Malz?

is Malz more viable for ranked play?

Tinker Gearsmith

06-04-2011

Malz is great if you have considerable experience with him. If you're just starting out, you'll have no end of problems since he plays just different enough from other mages to give you a hard time.

Both are great early to mid game - with Vlad coming out on top, slightly, due to the lack of a mana pool. Both can harass like nothing else.

Late game, though, I personally believe Malzahar comes out on top. The combination of an (somewhat) AoE silence, percent health damage, DoT based mana regen, and a ranged supression (with a high AP ratio) means he can excel at both teamfights and solo.

If you do decide to give Malzahar a try, remember the three P's - you won't get far without them!

Presence
Know the range of your spells, and use that to your advantage - Malzahar has some of the longest hitting spells in the game, making his harassing and poking all the better. Once you hit level 6, few will be willing to get close 1v1.

Positioning
Know where everyone is, and more importantly, where YOU should be. You're squishy and can't regen health like a Vlad, but your spells do not require LoS. Use this to your advantage.

Prediction
Your Call of the Void and Null Zone spells should never go where the enemy is at the moment, but where the enemy WILL be after you finish casting. Example: Observing a sona, you notice that whenever you cast a spell she backpeddles a bit. So you cast a null zone behind her, flash towards her, hit her with Malefic visions as she enters the puddle, and ult her right before she gets out of it. If the combo won't kill her, feel free to ignite.

Steelflame

06-04-2011

ehh... FIRE MA LZAHAR.

but really, his EWR combo is insane damage

If you can get good at landing your DoT and pool, try and follow up with R while they are in both. The single target damage is insane. If your realy good, you probably can also land Q in there as well, but that would be even harder with how Q's aim is delayed, and often the aimer is not right on where it will hit.

But beware, he is HARD COUNTERED by Quick Silver Sash, so NEVER use your R on someone with that item. If the entire enemy team gets them, try and wait to see if someone uses it early. Maybe try and fake them into using it with some item. Also, if you see an enemy Alistar, NEVER use it on him, as Alistar's R can not only counter it, it will break the Supress, and negates an additional 75% damage for a few seconds.

If you get a match where you cant really use it much, just use it to break an enemy combo, or just temp stun them, you can use it and then move to break the casting. A great example is to use your R on that Katarina thats ulting, or that Nunu.

Schramtor

06-04-2011

Also, beware gangplank, his "cure scurvy" or "eat orange" or whatever that heal is can be used during both silence and malz's ult, negating either. However, its cooldown is ~15-20 seconds (I think) so if you can force him to use it by silencing, then you can have free range with your ult

iCudi

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-04-2011

Thanks guys.

Very useful tips for Malz.

I'm planning on looking at guides/builds then trying him out in normal game for a couple days and see if I get good enough to use him has my AP caster in ranked.

Seelyon

06-04-2011

Definitely a great champion, for so many listed reasons already, so i wont repeat any. Heres a good place to start for a Malzahar Guide