Comparing Demigod to League of Legends

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Malduk

03-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knote View Post
But you had 8 heroes (when I played it), each with very uninteresting abilities.

Let me remember...
Dude, no offense but I dont think you played the game enough. Queen of Thorns you're mentioning and consider awesome was the weakest champion there because she didnt have any interrupts. Not trying to go into discussion about Demigod champs and abilities, but it seems you missed the whole "metagame" behind it (or in other words, what is good, what is bad about the champs).
Another example - Regulus. His sniper was not imba. It was extremely fun to use due to its almost global range. but it was actually an inferior build to mine build.

Not trying to bash your opinion, just saying you didnt give it enough time to learn what actually makes its game mechanics.

Knote

03-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malduk View Post
Dude, no offense but I dont think you played the game enough. Queen of Thorns you're mentioning and consider awesome was the weakest champion there because she didnt have any interrupts. Not trying to go into discussion about Demigod champs and abilities, but it seems you missed the whole "metagame" behind it (or in other words, what is good, what is bad about the champs).
Another example - Regulus. His sniper was not imba. It was extremely fun to use due to its almost global range. but it was actually an inferior build to mine build.

Not trying to bash your opinion, just saying you didnt give it enough time to learn what actually makes its game mechanics.

Uhh.... what?

My point was it was boring because how completely boring alot of the abilities were and there were only 8 heroes.

I definately gave it enough time. Where at all did I say QoT was the best hero? I said her theme was AWSOME, and looked AWSOME!

And yes I considered that nuke to be imba, because I could sit there and just nuke people's faces off when they dropped low enough and there was nothing they could do about it lol. From what I remember it'd be like having Nidalee's Javelin on an AP nidalee with double the range and homed in on a target.

Where the hell did this come from???? Do people just look for a excuse to go off on someone?

FuYA

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-26-2010

i remember looking at demigod play video and thinking it felt alot more like a WoW battle arena, or if youve played Savage 2 kinda like that aswell. The only thing that felt like DoTA or LOL for that matter was the ammount of players. And well the camera angle kinda.

Osmodius

03-26-2010

Oh god. I'm still in awe of the graphics. Booted up the game and it's ****ing amazing.

Micar

03-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andromansis View Post
Now a lot of you have come straight from DoTA to LoL, and complain about things like denies, jukes, tangos, deltas, micros, lady gaga, flying purple monkies, the republican party, and the unrealistic portrayal of what a healthy female body image is in the american media (do you like chicks that look like Fiddlesticks?),

but, I surmise that comparing LoL to Demigod is a much fairer comparison.
First off, Demigod and LoL are both third generation variants of DoTA. Aeon of Strife being the first generation, and DoTA being the second generation, whereas Demigod and LoL were both inspired by this music video, with its hot swedish chicks, effeminate males, catchy beats, and awesome lan party action.

So lets start comparing gameplay elements.

1: Character selection
Demigod had 8, count them, 8 champions available at launch. Later, somebody cracked the two extra champions that were locked away in the game files. You could build these champions 100 different ways though.
League of Legends is creeping up on 50 champions, most of which have at least 20 or so viable builds.

2: Stand Alone Clients
Demigod's client is in DirectX Over9000. It has rediculously good graphics if you computer can run it.
League of Legends has a coherent art direction, and a relatively light graphical processor load. Takes about as much physical memory to run as Demigod though.
The DEMO for Demigod is like... 600 megabytes for the installer. LoL's client installer is like 400 megs.

3: Optional Map Objectives : Neutral Creeps VS King of The Hill towers
In League of Legends, we have stuff like THE DRAGON, The Golem, The Lizard, Baron, some weird dogs that give you a 15% movement speed buff.
In Demigod, they had king of the hill towers which did similar things. You'd capture a tower, and it would buff your team. Stuff like HP, Damage, more minions, secret shop.

4: Commander Type Champions and entourage minions VS Tibbers
Demigod, while only having 8 champions available, was especially interesting as you could play as a commander champion. Commander champions got slots for summoning tokens, and usually had one ability that would spawn entourage minions. You could control the entourage minions in much the same way as you can control Tibbers in LoL, but you had a whole entourage of them.
You could get priests that follow you around and heal you and your minions, siege gunners, some other stuff. Basically it made the game pretty awesome to play.

5: Maps
At launch, Demigod had 6 or 7 maps. These maps, in and of themselves, were fully modelled 3D objects in the game engine. Here is a good example of what a map's proform looks like.
The size of these maps ranged from about the size of twisted treeline to about double the size of summoner's rift. Game size ranged from 2v2 to 6v6 I believe. Could also do 1v1. Each of the maps had a beautiful background and had a great atmosphere.
In League of Legends, I am so sick of Summoner's Rift.
Both game had static map elements, with 0 dynamic map elements. The maps are never different from game to game.

6: Super Minions VS Priests, Angels, Catapulasaurus and Giants
Now... a lot of people complain about snowballing. Both being momentum based strategy games, and the fact that its not that difficult to swing the momentum around and use it against your opponent (read: the art of war, book of five rings, and judo instruction), I'd say that lot of people are a bunch of sissies.
Personally, I'd say that the gated way Demigod handles the minions is pretty slick, and I like it.

7: Items
Demigod's Items VS League Of Legend's items

8: But what can I get for free, cause I enjoy free things and want to check out Demigod before I troll your thread:
I'd say league of legends wins out in this category, but the demo for demigod is still a lot of fun and completely worth the time to check out and play a couple of games.

I probably missed a whole bunch of categories, but meh. I'm tired of typing.
Wow, sorry dude. Demi god is slow, small amount of champs with some pretty mundane abilities and runs like **** on my computer which can run LoL and WoW at 30+ FPS.

I tried to like it, i really did. But just no.

SlyGoat

03-26-2010

Demigod failed, but man it had some really cool stuff in it. I'd love to see a control point style map in LoL in the future. And the variety of heroes in demigod really was quite amazing considering there were only 8. You could choose one skill tree for your hero in one game and a different one in the next and it was literally a whole new experience.

Malduk

03-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knote View Post
And yes I considered that nuke to be imba, because I could sit there and just nuke people's faces off when they dropped low enough and there was nothing they could do about it lol. From what I remember it'd be like having Nidalee's Javelin on an AP nidalee with double the range and homed in on a target.
Well, ok, let me explain it then: Karthus. That guy does the same with true global range, but to ALL targets (unlike Regulus who does single target damage, AND has to have target in sight). What do they bring to a team fight? In high level games both Karthus here and Regulus on Demigod, bring little. If you are sitting back and waiting to nuke people, then your team is playing without one man.

As for abilities being boring, they really werent. Using abilities in Demigod was actually more skill based than here. When Ryze decides to drop his load on you, he will drop his load on you. In Demigod, you could interrupt him. Thats something you do here with a stun, but stun is not really an interrupt as Ryze has no channeling time and if you stun him, and he survives, he will unload it afterwards (in Demigod, after interrupt, his abilities would go on cooldown).

I'm just saying that nuke in Demigod is not the same thing as nuke in LoL, as you do need skill to land it, as well as interrupt it.

Osmodius

03-26-2010

Tbh, Demigod is a moot point, but a good example. They failed hard at release, and pretty destroyed the game. But it wasn't bad.

Andromansis

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-26-2010

Osmodius, I don't think that Demigod is a moot point.
From a business point of view, I think LoL learned a LOT about how NOT to launch a game.

Andromansis

03-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micar View Post
Wow, sorry dude. Demi god is slow, small amount of champs with some pretty mundane abilities and runs like **** on my computer which can run LoL and WoW at 30+ FPS.

I tried to like it, i really did. But just no.
You must've missed the part where I said it was done in DirectX Over9000.
Your computer needs to be over 9000 to run it properly.