Comparing Demigod to League of Legends

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nobal Kain

03-25-2010

The big thing about Demigod is the graphics are AMAZING and the Champs have skill trees leading to different builds and powers.

The problems with this AMAZING graphics and complicated champions was that it looked to good and champions where to complicated. The lead to insane programming costs to make not only Champions, think it was 10K or more per, but maps as well.

Also they used such a high end map generator that the program need to even touch a map editor was insanely expensive as well. This shut the door on community modding and growth of the game in general.

Osmodius

03-25-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emergencia View Post
The game has 10 champions? Really? I get bored with 50 champions, I can't even think of how much it would suck with 10.
Yes, but each hero can get to level 20, and has like 4 skills with 5 levels, along 3 passives and the generic stat line buffs. So you actually have to choose which skills/passives and you can play your hero differently each game.

Andromansis

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-26-2010

But saying that Demigod wasn't a success is sort of a misnomer.
The first day it was available, 110,000 people logged into their servers to play it. Unfortunately, only 10,000 of them actually purchased copies. Had they monetized from each of those people that played it, it would have been a great success. 110,000 copies sold on day 1 would have cemented it as a success.

But in the genre of AoS style gameplay, it definately makes the top 5. Considering that there is only 5.

theinternets

03-26-2010

demigod sucks

/thread

Andromansis

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by theinternets View Post
demigod sucks

/thread
I appreciate what Riot is doing with League of Legends. They're a fantastic bunch of people who're really good at what they do, and they're doing it very well.

On the same note, as a gamer, I can also appreciate what GPG was trying to do with Demigod. If they had tweaked just a few things, it would have all but supplanted DoTA. The game didn't suck by any means. For what it was, it was very well done. Unfortunately, it could have been so much more than what it was with only a little bit of coaxing.

I believe that there are elements of Demigod that, if properly adapted could greatly benefit the gameplay experience of League of Legends. I could also say the same thing about Dissidia.

Malduk

03-26-2010

Few things I loved in Demigod:

1) Champion builds - really, you can build every champion in many different ways, and adapt your build to the situation. Sadly, that is not the case in LoL. Here you have 1 or 2 viable builds per champ and you adapt builds by items. But LoL makes for it with many different champs to choose from.

2) Interrupts = skill! Really, mastering Demigod was mastering your interrupts. Almost every spell has channeling time and it can be interrupted. That is the thing I miss the most from Demigod. It is what makes or breaks your play. Really an awesome mechanic.

Other things are not really comparable to LoL; like building improvements on your Citadel, holding flags etc. I loved it, but it IS a different type of game with those stuff included.

That said, I forgot about Demigod the second I installed LoL. Not because Demigod sucks, but because their multiplayer sucks. If they made the game free-to-play, like LoL, I think it would be an awesome game with huge community.

But that doesnt mean LoL cant "learn" from good things Demigod had. Bring interrupts in the game!

Mincus

03-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andromansis View Post
But saying that Demigod wasn't a success is sort of a misnomer.
The first day it was available, 110,000 people logged into their servers to play it. Unfortunately, only 10,000 of them actually purchased copies. Had they monetized from each of those people that played it, it would have been a great success. 110,000 copies sold on day 1 would have cemented it as a success.

But in the genre of AoS style gameplay, it definately makes the top 5. Considering that there is only 5.
demigod had a bad start, and it's their own fault. But they fixed it quickly with a patch but still. I remember it had some bad bugs... I prefer the diversity that comes with lol. Demigod looks pretty and is way fun for lans , but over all I'd say the community in lol is better (and actually exists) Demigod could have been great. But noone plays anymore they took too long to pump out extra heroes.

Larias

Adjudicator

03-26-2010

I really liked the idea of spending gold to upgrade your minions. I also liked the idea of CTF type areas, where I could take over something and my team would get a passive EXP boost.

Other than that, Demigod was just really boring.

Knote

03-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emergencia View Post
The game has 10 champions? Really? I get bored with 50 champions, I can't even think of how much it would suck with 10.

This is why the game was boring.

I wish it didn't suck, because I LOVED the graphics and theme of everything.

But you had 8 heroes (when I played it), each with very uninteresting abilities.

Let me remember...

The healing chick on the tiger.
  • She had a heal, it healed your health...
  • Had a melee ranged nuke, it did dmg.
  • Umm.... summon some yetis, they had decent hp, and hit stuff..
  • An aura to reduce cooldowns i think?
  • An aura that gave hp regen.
Then the Rook guy who was someone interesting. HUGE walking man-castle.

• Passive that had archers on your shoulder passively shoot stuff
  • Hammer ground strike that took a little while to cast but did ALOT of dmg if it directly hit
  • Could spawn a turret which seemed to be like 70% of a normal turret maybe weaker
  • Had Nunu's version of Minion Eating but for buildings, could heal from his own turrets.
  • I think a catapult version of the archer ability.
Then there was the evil faerie chick who's theme and look was AWSOME! She rode in a giant flower carried by giant beetles, and could go into 2 different modes, a blossom flower which she was visible, and a closed flower where she was hidden.

She had different benefits and stats and abilities for each mode, like Open flower was more squishy caster, and closed was more defensive summoner. But again her abilities were dull.

Open Flower
  • I believe it was a shockwave nuke, kind of like Ezreal's Ult (not global though) and it slowed I think
  • A pbaoe nuke that reduced armor I believe.
  • Abilities looked amazing btw, a cascade of giant thorn-spikes.
Closed Flower
  • Summoned a shambler thing, kind of a moss-like, vine covered I think it was ranged sort of, and had penetrating auto attacks like twitch I think, but short.
  • A shield, basically Janna's shield with no dmg buff.
  • Could kill a pet for health I think.
  • Could detonate a pet for aoe dmg I think.
So yeah something like that.

Then there was this Crossbow-Angel guy. Some basic stuff.
  • Auto attacks could gain longer range, and apply Nidalee's Trap Debuff for vision.
  • A long very long ranged, targeted, nuke with a long cast time and did more dmg the further away they were (I felt it was kinda imba)
  • A mine, it blew up and did dmg...
  • Could toggle a buff like Ashe's Frost Arrow for extra dmg.
You get the idea, alot of abilities were pretty uninteresting, and they had too few heroes which is why the game was boring to me, that and multiplayer issues lol.

Andromansis

03-26-2010

The crossbow-angel guy, Lord Erebus, was very imba. That guy just ruined everybody's day. I think one time I got a double-kill from half way across one of the 3v3 maps.