Solo Mid: A Mini-Tier List

12345 ... 6
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Yefo

03-25-2010

I would like the community's help in creating a simplified Solo Mid Tier list. In other words, this list will rank champions based on their viability to solo the middle lane. The goal of this list is to hopefully give people an idea of when saying "I'll Solo Mid!" is appropriate and when it is not, based on the champ selection of their teamates. (Of course, this is more of an issue when Solo Queuing than playing in a premade.)

While I realize this isn't so cut and dry due to the fact that it also depends on what champion your opponent is using to solo mid with, we will try to take this variance out of the equation. For our list, let us assume that the opponent is using a "generic ranged dps champion", since this seems to be most common. So, imagine they are using either Ashe, Sivir, Tristana, etc.

Also, assume that all skill levels are equal; in other words, the argument "Someone who is sick with Fiddlesticks will easily outdo a mediokre Ashe player" does not apply.

Below is a simple ranking based on my opinion and the first few lists already posted, as well as the other input. Also, I made some "tiers" for us to use. Currently, the individual Tiers are mostly unorganized, but generally, the better solos will be toward the top.

Alpha Solo-Mid Ranking
Shoe-In for Solo: This Tier represents champs that should rarely give up mid; they're ability to dominate solo play and their power gained from level advantage will win you games.
Sivir
Twisted Fate
Tristana
Annie

Excellent Solo: These champs are still great choices for mid. The good farm and level advantage will contribute to your victory significantly, but they won't win the game singlehandedly.
Ashe
Nidalee
Corki
Karthus
Fiddlesticks

Solid Soloing: Good choices, but not perfect. They can hold their own and potentially change the tide of battle, but sometimes they are better off in side lanes.
Twitch
Teemo
Anivia
Ryze
Zilean
Ezreal
Gangplank

Needs a lil more Pizazz: These champs are not the worst mid laners, but just don't pack the extra punch that you want your solo to have. They probably won't lose games for your team, but there are better choices.
Heimerdinger
Veigar
Dr. Mundo
Cho'Gath
Mordekaiser
Kayle
Pantheon
Nasus

Uncommon Solo/Useless Solo: This tier is reserved for champs that simply have no business playing solo mid, or champs that are extremely situational solos, perhaps used as a hard-counter for another champ and nothing more.
Everybody else.

Palette Town

03-25-2010

solo mid depends pretty heavily on who your mid opponent is.

Sheshi

03-25-2010

Agreed.

But it also depends on how good the player is.

Yefo

03-25-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palette Town View Post
solo mid depends pretty heavily on who your mid opponent is.
I completely agree, that is why this is a very simplified list. Also, I commented on that in my post. Read second paragraph

Waffles Inc

03-25-2010

I see we're making plenty of progress ignoring the qualifiers here.

Without going so far as ranking them individually, here are my preliminary groupings:

High:
Twisted Fate
Annie
Karthus
Twitch
Ashe
Sivir
Zilean
Ryze
Gangplank

Basically, these are the people who start to really destroy people/change the game once they hit 6. TF starts teleganking. Annie gets stunbear for easy instagibs. Karthus gets his ult for easy Mejai's stacks. Twitch gets that god**** Spray and Pray. Ashe gets her ult for initiating and helping teamfights across tthe map. Sivir starts laughing at towers. Zilean gets revives. Ryze gets absurd amounts of damage and AoE. Gangplank gets global ult.

Middle:
Tristana
Ezreal
Fiddlesticks
Anivia
Teemo
Corki
Nidalee
Veigar
Malphite
Heimerdinger
Cho'Gath
Mordekaiser

The middle grouping includes all those heroes that either
A) hold their own very well solo but don't significantly change the game by getting their ult or
B) have a great ult but can't hold their own very well mid due to any number of reasons or
C) a little of both; they're just not as good as those top tier heroes.

Low:
Well, anyone else that isn't in the next tier, which is...

If these guys have to solo mid your team comp is terrible and you should be smacked for considering it:
Eve
Rammus
Nasus
Kayle
Blitzcrank
Alistar

Trucko

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-25-2010

Mordekaiser is one of the strongest mids.

Talamare

03-25-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffles Inc View Post
I see we're making plenty of progress ignoring the qualifiers here.
How does Fiddles ult not change games? (and he has excellent laning presence, and fairly decent harass)

Yefo

03-25-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talamare View Post
How does Fiddles ult not change games? (and he has excellent laning presence, and fairly decent harass)
I did not mean anything against Fiddle in my example, all I meant was that "X character played by a Pro is better than Y character played by a noob, so X character is better" is not a valid argument. We are assuming all champs are played with equal skill.

Sheshi

03-25-2010

Because people can escape from it if they're not stunned, feared, taunted etc. because of Flash, escape abilities, high move speeds etc.

Its not as gamebreaking as you may think it is. Definately something to be considered if used correctly but unfortunately, it rarely is used at the right times.

Palette Town

03-25-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talamare View Post
because once fid goes mia the enemy gets paranoid as ****.

edit: assuming you mean fid as a candidate for mid

12345 ... 6