Why does my fancy new computer lag in game?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zwig

06-03-2011

Hey, I have a question. I very recently (as in less than a month ago) bought a new computer that my friend put together for me. I am not a person who knows much about computers, so I don't really know how to explain what's in it...but it's like state of the art stuff. Top scores in all categories, 7.8-7.9s across the board on some scoring thing my friend showed me, that I can't remember how to get to...

Anyway, my problem is this. In-game, I get these lag spikes. It's not like the normal lag I was used to when my internet would act up, like when everything still happens as normal, but where I can no longer input commands. It's not like that.

Instead, it's just the screen freezing for 2-6 seconds a time, and then snapping back into the present. It happens near the start of every game, and then at least a half dozen times throughout the game, if not more. It's problematic, because it causes me to miss last hits at best, and at worst I die from not dodging easily dodged skillshots like Morgana's Dark Binding, or miss my taunts with Shen, etc etc. It's really annoying.

I don't know anything about computers, so I have no idea how to check what's going on with it, nor would I have the slightest idea of where to look. Any help would be appreciated. Though now I'm just starting to wonder, because while typing this, a couple times I'd be typing and the letters wouldn't appear... it'd appear to lock up for a couple seconds, and then catch up very quickly. .... similar to what happens in-game. ... is there something wrong with my computer?

Since it may be affecting Firefox too... maybe this isn't the place to pose the question. Ugh. I don't know. I'd ask my friend who built the computer, but he's got a lot on his plate right now, and I'd prefer to not bug him further about my computer problems.

Thanks in advance if anyone can help, otherwise... well, it can't hurt to try asking for help, right?

Zwig

06-03-2011

Wait, I think I may be able to flesh this out a bit more with some information...

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601)
Processor: Intel Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz (8 CPUs) ~3.4GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
Graphics Card: NVidia GeForce GTX 570, 4064MB

... hope that helps the case any.

Nanjas

06-03-2011

We'll the main problem that could be messing with you frame rates could be how you have a core i7, and i don't know how well league of legends handles with the i7 processors.. but to be honest some things you could try to get an fps increase.

1st : I would recommend you play the game in windowed mode(if u are only using 1 monitor), make sure it's max resolution.. and after u apply the windowed mode setting exit the game so it cancels out the "always on top" setting that is set at first.

2nd: Download a program called "shift window" located here http://www.grismar.net/shiftwindow/

3rd: install and set the shift window program to grab the league of legends window and when u have it all setup just tell the program to trigger the game.

What this will do is make your game a fullscreen game while it is still in windowed mode.. This may help with fps lag? I know this has actually improved my fps while playing the game.. and i don't remember seeing it lagging up maybe only if i tabbed out of the game to type to someone on skype or something.

Give this a go and reply back please

-Nanjas

Durian101

06-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanjas View Post
We'll the main problem that could be messing with you frame rates could be how you have a core i7, and i don't know how well league of legends handles with the i7 processors.. but to be honest some things you could try to get an fps increase.
The game runs superb on i7 processors.

Sounds like your video card or cpu is overheating. Try under-clock your cpu and any enhancements in bios. Your specs are beautiful. ;D

Zwig

06-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durian101 View Post
The game runs superb on i7 processors.

Sounds like your video card or cpu is overheating. Try under-clock your cpu and any enhancements in bios. Your specs are beautiful. ;D
I have no idea how to underclock anything, or even what bios are. But, with Windows 7, my friend who set this up can remote access in or something, so I'll just run that by him. I'm sure he'll know exactly what you're talking about.

Also, Nanjas, thanks for the suggestion with the shift window thing. I'll give it a shot - can't hurt, at least.

Nanjas

06-03-2011

With regards to it overheating, if the issue is happening in firefox also? i don't feel like the computer would be overheating..

But to check here download this program located here http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html
Download the latest release located on the right which is 1.17..

When you run that program it will report back with temperatures, so while you play league it can record back with your highest temperature and that will let us know if it is overheating.. do that and let us know the temperature because that will give us some good insight..

But like i stated here it is very strange that firefox lags up also, could be a couple things you could do to fix that.. Update drivers, like chipsets? and such... If you built the computer on your own or had a company build it for you and not a manufacturer like dell or hp.. then it might be a little more annoying trying to update all those drivers but if you had it built through dell or something check their websites for updated drivers on your system..

AND UPDATE YOUR Graphics card driver from nvidia's website.. that might help also

Desmeme

12-22-2011

I'm having the exact same problem, it frequently appears in a wide form of operations on the computer from minecraft to MW2-3 and most importantly LoL.
i have a Asus G73 series and the screen still freezes and and actions in between these freezes are negated, i have searched the net for months and have not encountered anyone else with the same problem. i have re-installed my computer countless items along with LoL but the problem keeps on re surfacing over time.
I'm using currently the 285.63 nividia driver only cause BF3 wants it but the other drivers still don't fix the problem on any level.
despite asus saying i need to use their recommended software it doesn't improve the functionality of my computer

Cower88

12-22-2011

The problem isn't your computer it sounds like its the same lag spikes that have been hitting a lot of us recently since the last patch. Your champion lags during game usually during combat then runs smoothly again... i haven't been able to fix it yet and riot refuses to respond to any of the lag complaints -_-

Desmeme

12-23-2011

this problem has been happening for months, not only that, is gotten worse, its true that combat has some influence over this 'lag' but my problem seems to be a universal problem, its true that riot needs to fix the 'lag' that many players and myself as well are having.

Desmeme

01-09-2012

i'm still getting these random ass freezes causing my screen to frequently freeze and cause my spells to be delayed until the screen u- freezes, this is really pissing me off making me look troll at times. why does it lag on LoL and sometimes minecraft but not on other things (usually)
not to mention that my screeen during the lag flys around to a different location such as the top right hand corner of the screen causing me addition wtf as i have to hit f1 and see what the **** is happening