Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

[Guide] Contemporary Cardmaster: The Benadryl Jackson Way

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

loneoutlaw

05-11-2010

Quote:
Calcabrina:
thoughts on starting with vamp scepter and building it into starks? lifesteal can help you live longer in the lane, and the aura is decent.

Personally the problem with foregoing a Doran's item, as I see it, is that the 120 health (6 damage isn't bad either) in a small skirmish at level 1 will make all the difference, whereas a small amount of lifesteal (coupled with how little raw damage you're putting out at that level) will hardly help you lane effectively and will more than likely open you up to harassment and a well-timed attack for first blood. That, and I don't believe you can buy a health pot at the same time as the vamp scepter, a far more effective means of restoring your health.

Calcabrina

05-11-2010

Quote:
loneoutlaw:
Personally the problem with foregoing a Doran's item, as I see it, is that the 120 health (6 damage isn't bad either) in a small skirmish at level 1 will make all the difference, whereas a small amount of lifesteal (coupled with how little raw damage you're putting out at that level) will hardly help you lane effectively and will more than likely open you up to harassment and a well-timed attack for first blood. That, and I don't believe you can buy a health pot at the same time as the vamp scepter, a far more effective means of restoring your health.

Yes, vamp scepter leaves you with 25 gold iirc. On the other hand I'm planning to use HP quints anyway. Plus I generally don't try to get into entanglements before creeps arrive. I'm not shaco who lolganks at 1:55. TF is too classy.
Also, in my experience infinity edge is too expensive for a real game, when I could be getting Frozen Mallet, or Last Whisper, or turning my brutalizer into a ghostblade. Is it just me?

loneoutlaw

05-12-2010

Well obviously level 1 is a bit uh. More rare to be fighting at, but that's not the point, it gives you a huge edge levels 1-6 over someone not taking a comparable item and I don't know how many times I've managed to sneak away midgame where the 120 HP saved my life. It's nice to build into Stark's, but I forgo that particular item most of the time anyway.

IE is obviously pretty good if the game goes on FOREVER and might be a decent rush if you find yourself back at the fountain with 1850 gold at some point for whatever reason, but I prefer bloodthirster because it's a fair bit less expensive.

DOS Onato123

05-13-2010

I really want to make TF my main, I'm bored of auto attacking with Tristana.

How do I not become squishy? With Trist I can use my range and when sh*t gets scary jump my ass outta there but to be effective TF has to get in range and then i get raped. I never even have a chance to flash away and if I do I still get a sore ass.

I constantly have games where I go 9 - 9 - 7 or something similar, I just want to stop dieing so much.

Any help will be appreciated.

Marokeas

05-13-2010

TF is really good for one on one surprises. He can play a carry, yes, but assassination is where he shines. Pick a target, port, and kill. Save a teammate, pick a low health enemy champ. Teambattles, try not to get focused (which you will when the enemy realizes ur dps). Take out key enemy champions before you die, hide behind a tank, partner with a blitzcrank (my most successful early game).
Dont buy health or survivability, get some lifesteal late game to be REALLY effective. Learn when to jump into a fight or when to run, learn when to port and save someone, or when to port and kill someone.
TF is all about timing, when to use your abilities, when to attack, where to attack from. Teamfights, use red card, gold card to stun their carry.
TF can do pretty much everything except walk on water(wait...ice...winter SR). The key is getting used to what to use and when. I'll be the first to admit im not perfect at it, but it gets easier.

DOS Onato123

05-13-2010

Quote:
Marokeas:
TF is really good for one on one surprises. He can play a carry, yes, but assassination is where he shines. Pick a target, port, and kill. Save a teammate, pick a low health enemy champ. Teambattles, try not to get focused (which you will when the enemy realizes ur dps). Take out key enemy champions before you die, hide behind a tank, partner with a blitzcrank (my most successful early game).
Dont buy health or survivability, get some lifesteal late game to be REALLY effective. Learn when to jump into a fight or when to run, learn when to port and save someone, or when to port and kill someone.
TF is all about timing, when to use your abilities, when to attack, where to attack from. Teamfights, use red card, gold card to stun their carry.
TF can do pretty much everything except walk on water(wait...ice...winter SR). The key is getting used to what to use and when. I'll be the first to admit im not perfect at it, but it gets easier.

Really helpful man, thanks. Looks like I'll just have to stick with him.

If anyone else has some input that would be great.

Kendouy

05-13-2010

Quote:
Marokeas:

TF can do pretty much everything except walk on water(wait...ice...winter SR).

TF doesn't need to walk on water. He ports over it, kills everyone and bluepills back. Thats how awesome he is.

Crannicus

05-13-2010

Thanks for this guide, Benadryl.

I am a pretty low ELO player (I only have four ranked games with TF under my belt), but the guide has definitely upped my game significantly. Of my four ranked games, I've won three, largely by sticking to this formula you've laid out here.

I build my skills almost exactly as you've laid out. Stacked Deck works wonderfully, allowing me to both consistently last-hit minions (for goldage), and to reliably gank weaker players (like casters.)

As far as items go, however, I have a few deviating points:

After the Doran's Shield, I almost always build to merc treads. These are reliable boots and, as one player told me in a game, they provide something which few to no other in-game items do: reduced stun/slow time. I've found this gives me a massive competitive edge, especially when middling against an Ashe or Ryze (or likeminded player) who is capable of throwing those skills my way. Ninja Tabi are nice, and the dodge can be huge as well, but I think Merc Treads are pretty much consistently better or more useful (especially given the high frequency of a stunning character in games.)

There is a very rare exception where I will build to boots of swiftness over merc treads. This is usually when I'm finding I have trouble sealing the deal on early-game ganks, in spite of my stun and loaded exhaust spell. As I'm sure you know (being an obviously experienced TF player), those early ganks are almost the bread and butter to building the great gear early.

After that, I'll usually push for Sword of the Divine before Zeal. Don't get me wrong, I tried your build in practices (going zeal first) and it was immensely successful. But I was often farming enough gold to just push to the SotD instead, and its effects are almost indisputably better (or more effective) in the mid-game. The armor penetration is huge, the attack speed is beautiful, and the synergy with Stacked Deck is just plain overkill. I find this item often earns me enough ganks to just buy the Zeal (or even the whole Phantom Dancer/Trinity Force) in a level or two, anyway, and then things get plain out of hand.

I've found the Bloodrazor is essential in games with melee-heavy teams, especially when fighting Garen and/or Jax. Thus I often build to that right after Dancer/Trin Force.

I haven't found as much use in Executioner's Calling as you have. I'm not saying it's a bad pick, I'm just not as interested in it. Usually I don't need the lifesteal, because my APS and raw damage output are high enough to just end the opponent before they even know what hit them.

I agree with you completely on Stark's. What I've discovered is that it only seems to make me a target on TF, like it's some sort of beacon for my opponents to direct their assaults at my head instead of the nice beefy tank during team fights. This is NOT what you want when playing Fate.

Being that my build tends to be even more squishy than usual (largely owing to my preference of Dancer over Trin Force earlier in the game) by the late-game, I'll often opt for Infinity Edge over the 'Thirster. This is because I can't get the stacks needed on the 'Thirster to realize its full potential (I do tend to die more than the typical TF in the late game, mostly to tower dives and ambushes -- I know, a more experienced TF might not.) That said, I could certainly see the use of 'Thirster and might be more likely to try it as I become more confident and increase my survivability on the field.

Thanks again for the guide. Hope my feedback isn't too verbose.

Benadryl Jackson

Recruiter

05-13-2010

Quote:
YouFubar:

I also have a question. What do you do when the enemy team has 2 casters and 3 melee? I had no idea what to do, so I grabbed Merc Treads, then started stacking attack speed items, then ended making a BloodRazor. It's hard to differentiate between leaning more to the caster side, and melee side. This game was against a Janna/Ryze, and Warwick, Shen, and a Poppy.

What matters is the specific champions involved, not whether they are casters or melee.

Let's take a look at that particular team you faced. Ryze has Rune Prison, which is annoying but at least you can attack from it. Janna can slow you down, Shen can taunt you, and Poppy can stun you. You were definitely right in getting Merc Treads against them, as any one of those things could potentially spell your doom in a team fight.

xFaze

05-13-2010

hey bena, what are your thoughts on stinger? its relatively cheap for the attack speed it gives and also gives 10% cooldown on a small price, i would tihnk its beneficial for spamming pick a card during team fights. Also with phage, its a 25% chance of slow wouldn't it be better to pick up a vampiric scepter after 2 AS items as you'll be attack fast enough for you to life steal more? From what i gather TF should be hiding behind the tank and sometime chasing lone champions with gold card. In my opinion phage is an option when TF is heavily focused on, just curious what your opinion is on this?