[Guide] Contemporary Cardmaster: The Benadryl Jackson Way

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AIM7Sparrow

04-14-2010

With regard to Last Whisper...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benadryl Jackson View Post
Not only is the name totally sweet (Benadryl Jackson is a poet at heart), but it will ream them good.
Hahahaha +1

Excession

04-14-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benadryl Jackson View Post
Is what you say about Wit's End true? The items in this game are so **** ambiguous sometimes. I mean, look at this thing's description:

"+40% Attack Speed +30 Magic Resistance UNIQUE Passive: Physical Attacks remove up to 42 mana from the target and deal additional damage equal to the amount of mana removed."

That makes it sound like it makes your attacks deal additional physical damage, and "remove up to 42" is incredibly vague. Does that mean it removes 42 mana all the time, until there isn't enough mana left to remove that much? Does it mean it is reduced by magic resist, like you say? Holy ****, I need something to drink.

Regardless of how it actually works, I've hardly ever found a strong enough reason to go Wit's End on Summoner's Rift, but Twisted Treeline is a different story. I'm still figuring that map out, but I've gone up against quite a few tank-centric teams that Wit's End completely destroyed.
Basically this is how it works:

You attack someone. You deal your attack damage mitigated by their armor. Then Wit's End activates and burns up to 42 of their mana. (For example, they have 50, you burn 42. Now they have 8, you burn 8.) Then it deals magic damage equal to the points of mana you burned. That damage is then reduced by MR and finally dealt.

Kaedan

04-14-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Migra View Post
Hm. I use similar items, but I don't tend to rush Triforce components.

Anyone experimented with the new Stinger at all? 40% AS and 10% CDR seems kinda sexy for TF, and it's super quick to rush if you buy a Dagger at start.
Yeah, I usually rush Stinger ASAP. The 40% AS and 10% CD is great early on for getting Destiny back up in a hurry.

Kinney

04-15-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaedan View Post
Yeah, I usually rush Stinger ASAP. The 40% AS and 10% CD is great early on for getting Destiny back up in a hurry.
Hmm. Yeah, if you start with a Dagger and are soloing mid, you should easily have enough gold to rush Stinger, pick up basic boots, and start building Phage or Zeal all in one trip. Plus, you'd be CDR capped as early as level 7 or 8 if you use CDR glyphs - 10 from Stinger, 4 from masteries, 6 (rounding up) from glyphs, and 15 from Stacked Deck would leave you sitting at a very sexy 35%, which means more Destiny uptime, which means more ganking and backdooring, which means more win. The only downside is that it doesn't build into anything besides Nashor's Tooth, which kinda sucks on TF.

NullValue

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-15-2010

I've been trying this build out lately in both 3v3 and 5v5 and I'm liking it a lot. Before, I'd run SotD + a BF Sword item such as Bloodthirster or Infinity Edge; however, I'm liking the Trinity Force a lot better.

Two of the main issues I had with my old SotD and BF Sword build was that if I wasn't doing very well, I had a lot of trouble keeping up in power, since the Recurve Bow and the BF Swords are both very expensive. This made it especially hard for early ganking. Another issue I had in 5v5 team fights was that I had a lot of trouble catching some teams that had a hit-and-run type of composition and kited a lot (never really engaging). I'd either run too slow to catch up on a Red or Gold Card, or I would get focused down first. Trinity Force seems to solve both of these problems.

Like it says in Benadryl's guide, Trinity Force is made up of a bunch of smaller / cheaper components, so it makes it a lot easier to keep up in power, even if I'm not doing so well. Zeal and Trinity Force also give that movement speed bonus, which is really really nice! I was pretty surprised at my overall effectiveness working up towards Trinity Force, compared to my old SotD + BF Sword build. Maybe it was also the Doran's Blade that helped with my damage working up towards the Trinity Force, not sure. Maybe it was also cause I dropped Lethality (Crit Damage) and went with maxed Sorcery (CD) and Offensive Mastery (Minion Damage) instead. Maybe it was cause I started placing a lot more emphasis on using Red Card early game rather than Gold Card. I really don't know, but I seem to keep up a lot easier now throughout the entire match.

One last note, the extra speed is really really nice on Twisted Treeline. It was one of the issues I had as TF there--if I got caught and couldn't win the fight, I generally couldn't get away (even with Gold Card spam). Not at all so with the Zeal / Trinity Force. It's a lot harder to get killed as TF in 3v3 with the Zeal / Trinity Force.

Anyway, thanks for the great guide, Benadryl!

xSJx

04-15-2010

You should really change the part about lethality, lol.

Edit: I thought you were joking but I checked your profile. Why not lethality with a crit/atk speed build?

+1 and nice guide and all. I just finished my crit runes and it's fun. I seem to have trouble soloing mid though, I'm still a newb with tf.

Kinney

04-15-2010

Also, regarding Madred's Bloodrazor, I've used it quite a bit, and it's quite honestly godly on TF. The big downside to it, though, is that it's not only expensive but has expensive components, so you'll go for long periods of time without any added oomph while you build it. It'd be a lot more viable of an option if, say, Pickaxe could be built from two Long Swords or Recurve Bow could be built from two Daggers.

Iron Bible

04-20-2010

I want to roll with you, Ben. I want to be part of your posse.

Iron Bible

04-20-2010

I've got a question. I've built Tiamat as a sixth item before, and I'm curious as to whether it would be something you would ever consider. Splash dmg that's procced by Madred's, along with the nice dmg boost, seems like something that would always be good. combined with red card i would 2-3 hit entire stacked up creepwaves, and in teamfights the carnage seemed a lot faster-paced when the other team wasn't spread out. what do you think?

Benadryl Jackson

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Bible View Post
I've got a question. I've built Tiamat as a sixth item before, and I'm curious as to whether it would be something you would ever consider. Splash dmg that's procced by Madred's, along with the nice dmg boost, seems like something that would always be good. combined with red card i would 2-3 hit entire stacked up creepwaves, and in teamfights the carnage seemed a lot faster-paced when the other team wasn't spread out. what do you think?

I hadn't considered Tiamat before, and to be honest I have my doubts. In regards to farming, Red Card and regular auto attacking (+ your first few items) are enough to tear through creeps almost as fast as AP-stacked Wild Cards back in the day. Giving Twisted Fate a Tiamat is like giving a scythe to a guy driving a wheat thresher -- it just doesn't help farming enough to be worth it.

Now for the other reason you might get Tiamat, which is splash damage in fights. Benadryl Jackson has composed a haiku to illustrate his point:

The splash radius
I think, is just way too small
To be any good

Still, Benadryl Jackson isn't one to disparage an idea without trying it first, so I'll give Tiamat a go sometime, preferably while drunk. If I change my mind, I'll let you know.