Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

[Guide] Vayne – The Flexible Assassin

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Eledhan

06-16-2011

Okay, for those of you who are following this thread, but don't feel like re-reading the entire guide to find changes...

I've discovered that for Attack Damage builds, The Brutalizer is the best item to rush in the game for mid-game damage around champion level 10, followed closely by BF Sword.

After that, IE will be the best item to work towards, followed by upgrading to Ghostblade.

If you want a build focused on TriForce, just realize you will only deal more damage if all you ever do is tumble and one auto attack every 2 seconds.

I will be updating the builds as soon as I can let all this settle into my head, but for now, just know that the fastest route to damage mid game is Brutalizer, and that the fastest late game damage route is IE.

Combining the two concepts into a mid-game dominant item along with a late game progression can be very effective, but you might find yourself a bit too far behind if you don't rush IE right away. Adjusting on the fly is important!

Takeishï

06-16-2011

I've already figured that rushing TF wasn't the best, but thanks for the ideas. TF's damage is at its best when you get to lvl18 or at lvl15-18 for, like you've said, mid game dominance.

I think l'll start with phage+zeal and insert a picaxe/bf sword. At lower levels (post 10) picaxe gives better damage than sheen by just adding an additionnal AA. Other gears would than be:
bz greave
finish IE
finish TF
PD
(insert vamp scepter somewere)
I'll try the doran shield as a starting item for more survivabi.

Eledhan

06-16-2011

Quote:
Takeishï:
I've already figured that rushing TF wasn't the best, but thanks for the ideas. TF's damage is at its best when you get to lvl18 or at lvl15-18 for, like you've said, mid game dominance.

If you're looking for the best item mid-game (think boots 2 + about 1500 gold offensive item), then you should be going for Brutalizer.

It simply out-damages all the other items for the gold.

Quote:
I think l'll start with phage+zeal and insert a picaxe/bf sword. At lower levels (post 10) picaxe gives better damage than sheen by just adding an additionnal AA. Other gears would than be:

Starting with Phage is fine, but realize you won't be maximizing your damage that way.

You are actually taking the lowest damage item available at that point in the game. That may be fine by you, since you might want the slow and the extra HP, but just keep that in mind.

Quote:
bz greave
finish IE
finish TF
PD
(insert vamp scepter somewere)

I recommend you also try going for:
IE
YMG
some other damage item

Quote:

I'll try the doran shield as a starting item for more survivability.

If you haven't bought hp5 quints, you should really look into it. I've found that those plus a Regrowth Pendant at the start of the game makes you really REALLY hard to force out of lane since you can afford to trade harassment and win. I haven't lost a single lane assignment since getting them.

BUT!!! Since I assume you probably don't have them, starting with Doran's Shield is a great way to go!

Eledhan

06-22-2011

Guide Updated

6/22/11
All changes to Vayne in patch v1.0.0.120 were considered, and changes were made accordingly.

The biggest change in this guide update were the additions of Doran's Blade as a starting item, rushing IE as an item build, and re-calculating the item comparisons for Mid and Late game.

Kikhan

06-27-2011

I haven't been playing Vayne much the last couple of weeks. Just curious if you think the attack speed build is less viable. To me it seems like it is since the last nerf. I just havent played enough to really tell.

I liked the attack speed option just due to the different feel of it vs. the relatively normal AD build for most ranged carries.

Eledhan

06-27-2011

Quote:
Kikhan:
I haven't been playing Vayne much the last couple of weeks. Just curious if you think the attack speed build is less viable. To me it seems like it is since the last nerf. I just havent played enough to really tell.

Nothing about the nerf hit the attack speed build...that build is based on Silver Bolts, and that actually received a slight buff (can't be blocked by spell shields anymore).

Quote:

I liked the attack speed option just due to the different feel of it vs. the relatively normal AD build for most ranged carries.

Yeah, it's a fun build. And it really hasn't changed due to the patch, so I'm not really sure what your question is about.

Maybe I'm missing something?

Trivial Pursuit

08-10-2011

This is a great guide, but I have some questions. When playing Vayne there are three things that I try to focus on (Crit Damage, Attack Speed, HP) and finding the right order for my build is still a problem.

When I was maining Vayne for a month I went Berzerk Greaves ---> Warmog's (FoN if against a mage opponent) then I had problems choosing between whether to get Atma's, IE or Phantom Dancer next.
(I'm surprised that you haven't included PD as a core item, when it's a standard choice for most Vaynes.)

If I go Full AS rune page, 21/8/1 and then go boots+3 hp potions, giant belt, Zerk's, Warmog's (For laning phase)

For mid-game I go zeal, 'Mercs, PD, Brutalizer.

Late game. Atma<-+->IE depending on situation.

And Madred's Bloodrazor for end-game.

Is rushing Warmog's gimping me too much? Or will a AS rune page help me keep pace until mid-game?

Eledhan

08-10-2011

Quote:
trivialpursuit1:
Is rushing Warmog's gimping me too much? Or will a AS rune page help me keep pace until mid-game?

Before I respond to this (what I feel is your actual question), let me first thank you for the compliment! As I have said in the guide, feel free to ask any question if you're uncertain of what you should be doing.

As for when to go with Warmog's, you really have to decide early on (if not before the game even starts) what item build you're going to go with.

I think that rushing Warmog's first is simply too much survivability too soon. You shouldn't have issues surviving early-mid game due to tumble (dodge skill shots) and your stealth. In addition, if the enemy is dead, they can't deal much damage to you, now can they?

Try some of my build orders out and see what you like. If you're crazy about building Warmog's, and you already have some AS, build Atma's next. Then you can build Zeal for even crazier damage. I'd build another AD item after that, though.

I hope this has helped you. If you have more questions or wish to discuss this concept further, just ask away!

Trivial Pursuit

08-10-2011

Quote:
ricklessabandon:
have you tried frozen mallet instead of warmog's? you might like it much more.

No, I much prefer Warmog's its cheaper, has more absolute health and health regen.

And Eled thanks, for your response. I've decided to get giant's belt in lane phase and upgrade to Mog's in mid-game.

the other question is why don't you include Phantom Dancer as a core item for Vayne?

Tacit

08-10-2011

Hmm not bad. I used to love Vayne but i used her so much i got tired of her... Will try her up again with this build .