Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Why has this game been released?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

xFortune

06-03-2011

I agree that League of Legends can be an extremely fun game. It's why I still play it. Those good games, the ones where it's dead even at 50 minutes and someone makes an awesome play that wins the game, those are worth the trouble, I play for those matches.

But the game could be improved so much, so that even the losses are fun. I don't mind losing because I'm bad, not one bit. What bothers me is losing because of something that I can't help (Morgana's Q hits me behind a minion or far past the range it normally fizzles out, etc.).

Thanks for the opinions, everyone. Good to know that I'm not alone, I figured this would be -50 within half an hour and promptly deleted.

MajorKite

06-03-2011

Quote:
xFortune:
I agree that League of Legends can be an extremely fun game. It's why I still play it. Those good games, the ones where it's dead even at 50 minutes and someone makes an awesome play that wins the game, those are worth the trouble, I play for those matches.

But the game could be improved so much, so that even the losses are fun. I don't mind losing because I'm bad, not one bit. What bothers me is losing because of something that I can't help (Morgana's Q hits me behind a minion or far past the range it normally fizzles out, etc.).

Thanks for the opinions, everyone. Good to know that I'm not alone, I figured this would be -50 within half an hour and promptly deleted.

Things like hit-box lag compensation are always an exercise in fine tuning and take alot of time, and products don't usually create dollarsigns in beta, so Riot had to push ahead with their deadline and go with a system that worked most of the time instead of all of the time. While Riot has been working hard on champs I too would like to see a little more of the core mechanics that aren't working as good as they could be fine-tuned a little, though we don't know the situation from the inside out like they do and there may be a very good reason this hasn't been adressed yet.

fooolishfool

06-03-2011

The only one of your points that I have ever noticed is number 8. While it can be marginally irritating, it is prettymuch par for the course - I've never played a game without strange bugs, so this one isn't a surprise. Overall I feel LoL is both fun and polished, no complaints from me.

Crs Xpecial

Recruiter

06-03-2011

Quote:
xFortune:
1a) Projectile hitboxes

I've actually never had problem with this, granted I have 11 ping.

Quote:
xFortune:
1b) Other "hitboxes"

This is stuff I have just gotten use to.

Quote:
xFortune:
2) Bushes

I rarely notice this nowadays, it actually use to be a lot worse. Keep in mind that I put anywhere from 15-25 wards in a competitive game.

Quote:
xFortune:
3) Doesn't like quick inputs

The only time I notice this is when I try to use a skill immediately after I put the first skill point into it. I honestly have no other problems with this.

Quote:
xFortune:
4) Buggy terrain

It's been months since I've last encountered this.

Quote:
xFortune:
5) Inconsistent aggro (towers and minions)

...Nope.

Quote:
xFortune:
6) Silly discrepancies and bugs with skills

Are you sure your cases are all accurate? I really don't think Siphon Strike breaks Banshee's and I think Udyr's Tiger Stance proc does break it and only Phoenix Strike's 3rd hit proc breaks it.

Quote:
xFortune:
7) Downtime/server slowdowns

No game doesn't have downtime and I've really not had much problem as of late.

Quote:
xFortune:
8) Reconnecting problems

I rarely disconnect, but I agree that it is annoying.

Quote:
xFortune:
9) Other errors/bugs/crashes/things not being the way they should

I get fps drops when new particles first appear in a game during a first load, it's kinda annoying.

The biggest reason why I chose to play League of Legends competitively is because I find the game to be fun.

Dairuka

06-03-2011

Quote:
xFortune:
Why has this game been released?

The game has been released for the purpose of pursuing, and retaining the competitive scene that could possibly ensure League of Legends' survivability for years to come. (If Starcraft 1 is any indicator.)

Quote:
xFortune:
Why is it not in beta testing still?

This is actually a question that can be spread across every single genre, for almost every single game released in the past ten years. The reasons vary from game to game, but for the most part; a game is released because companies believe they are more likely to catch the bugs caused by stress on the servers, and competitive use after release, than they would if they kept their game in a closed testing environment. This is why many games such as League have Open Beta's - but even Open Beta's need to end based on a time schedule set in stone by a higher executive. Remember, investors don't want to feel as if they are wasting their money on a game that will never be released; this includes private investors on game companies that are not publicly traded.

Quote:
xFortune:
Was it rushed to compete with HoN? If so, why has it been left in its current state instead of fixed over the past year?

I think Riot is more concerned about champion balance than anything. MOBA's according to many developers, including their rivals from S2 - tend to be made or broken by just how imbalanced or balanced the champions are. So long as the game is reasonably functional; players will more likely remember how IMBA a champion like Xin Zhao was at release, than they will about how broken Poppy's Ult can be.

Hopefully they'll continue to expand on their retinue to fix the more annoying issues regarding these forums and the in-game browser. If they don't though, I really doubt people would quit over the inconvenience.

Quote:
xFortune:
What would be required to fix at least some of these? A new game engine? Or are there ways to improve the current engine/netcode?

A brand new game engine would bring with it a whole new slew of problems that none of us will ever be able to foresee, because they'd have to begin from the pre-alpha stage all over again. Not to mention it would take them at least another year if not more to create a whole new game-engine. To lease a new game engine like the Unreal 3; would essentially just cost them too much money.

As for improving the current engine and netcode; I'd have to say: Soon™

Quote:
xFortune:
Are these issues being looked at by the Riot dev team?

Hopefully.

Quote:
xFortune:
Obligatory: Where's Magma Chamber? :P

I'm willing to assume it'll be out for Season 2.

Rootflyer

06-03-2011

+1 for well thought out post/argument, and because I agree.

Also, bump for red post. That is all.

IHeartMiX

06-03-2011

Quote:
lolakai:
I wasn't aware that Riot receives $400 million back in 2006 when they were founded and developments began on League of Legends?

Can you link me?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/League_of_Legends

Dairuka

06-03-2011

Quote:
IHeartMilfsX:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/League_of_Legends

[citation needed]

Ternce

06-03-2011

I agree with the knockup bug and hitbox issue. Great videos.

xFortune

06-03-2011

Quote:
Xpecial:
This is stuff I have just gotten use to.

This is part of the problem, and why I keep mentioning "inconsistencies". I can't get used to something that seems to have so much variation.

Quote:
Are you sure your cases are all accurate? I really don't think Siphon Strike breaks Banshee's and I think Udyr's Tiger Stance proc does break it and only Phoenix Strike's 3rd hit proc breaks it.

Guaranteed for Udyr & Vayne, only one I'm iffy on is Siphon Strike, but I'm fairly sure that it does break Banshee's. I would have tested it, but LoL is down.

Phoenix Stance's 3rd attack is the one that breaks it, but all 4 skills have the same effect (damage applying to your next attack), so why does it block two, but not the others?