Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Why has this game been released?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

lolakai

06-03-2011

Mind you, they ARE polishing it slowly. This is Riot's first title, coming from a fledgling company that before the TenCent investment probably was just as big if not only a bit bigger than any indie developer out there.

You're not looking at Blizzard Entertainment, or Bioware, you're looking at a company that was founded very recently (in terms of age of serious game developers). They are, to this very day, are still actively hiring new people, which means that they are still growing yet.

This, while the several server lags, outages, and client bugs are still a problem, is a pretty **** fine piece of product. What's the goal of League of Legends? So you can log-on and play the game, as it was made, for fun. And as someone who plays around 10 hours a day, I can say that the negatives are minimal compared to the times that this game have bring me enjoyment.

From a Business stand-point, Riot Games's main goal probably was not a "we will only release this when it is completely polished and bug-free" which is more Blizzard style. Riot's goal was probably to make a break-through in a brand new genre, and be the first eye-catcher to grab all the fans. They had a semi-polished product that was playable and was fun, and they released it. Now they are immensely successful.

What's to stop you from thinking that behind the scene, they might be fixing the very core of the game engine, maybe rewriting chunks of codes to fix the current game. I mean, they do have a very big update coming for us with Season 2 (don't even deny it, because they will do it for business reasons).

I think Riot has pretty much achieve what they wanted to do as a company: produce a fun-filling title that's enticing to the general gaming public, and develop themselves into a solid gaming company. LoL no doubt has a bigger playerbase than HoN (face it, the only paid games that have bigger playerbase than free-to-play counterparts are WoW and maybe Guild Wars). Riot Games, in my eyes, is also a better company. Did you see the whole fiasco with S2 having to limit posting on their forums to a selected group of employees, and announcing that they will be heavily censoring criticisms?

As for "buggier" games. I've participated in betas for "big" titles from indie developers like Darkfall, Craft of Gods, Mortal Online, etc.., and let me tell you, those games were buggy as hell when they came out, and right now they're probably not in a state you can call "very polished" yet. Darkfall, especially, spent 7-9 years in development.

Holstenwall

06-03-2011

"I have never used a program or played a game as buggy, glitchy, inconsistent, and full of errors or overlooked discrepancies as League of Legends."

Stopped reading there. A long and doubtlessly laboriously composed post that starts with irrational hyperbole eh? No thanks, I'll trust others to satisfy whatever the OP's needs for posting this really are.

xFortune

06-03-2011

Quote:
Milkshakes00:
Obviously you haven't played many betas or alphas.
Ever try WoW?
Ever try FFXIV?

Both were, still are, and always WILL be, buggy as sin.

For just this comment, I'm -1'ing your OP.

Didn't try either of those, haven't been big on MMOs since DAoC, which I quit in '04. I agree that there are definitely buggier games out there, all I've said is that League is buggier than anything I have ever used.

Quote:
Fuz2o:
Game was released because what you see as game breaking bugs, others didn't.

It's not in Beta because open Beta was massively successful and the growth of the game and the company is increasing each day.

Um, I guess competition always drives release dates of products. Console wars show us that every 3 or 4 years. You act like Riot never fixes any bugs. The ones you list are frankly pretty minor or nonfactors (towers don't "randomly" switch between champions and minions). i mean, the bush thing is annoying and I would like it fixed as well. but it is hardly game breaking. Knock up bug is also not that huge of a deal. the knockback attacks of vayne and poppy are just as consistent as any other move. I haven't even seen poppy charge somebody through a wall in many patches.

Game breaking bugs are ones like Anivia being able to stun from across the map, or abusable mechanics. having a ward not show a bush 1/200 times isn't going to keep a game in beta.

Which is part of why I made this thread, I want to know if me and my friends are alone in thinking this, or if many other people have similar experiences and thoughts.

I don't act like Riot never fixes bugs, I know they have fixed and improved a lot. I listed the glaring problems that I see as making the game feel unfinished, and the ones that have been there since I started playing. I'm going to guess you don't play Vayne or Poppy much, though? I played Poppy for about 15 games last week, and once pushed somebody through a wall, and once went through the wall myself but didn't take my target with me. In my recent memory, I've seen 2 occasions of someone phasing through a wall.

I've never heard of Anivia stunning across the map, but that does indeed sound like a glitch, as are abusable mechanics (all of which should be fixed).

Quote:
Revive Is OP:
Morgana snare you actually aim with the area between the centre of the animation and the shadow of the snare animation.
Could be you have a wireless keyboard, or are low on batteries. I do quick inputs on zilean (E + F1 + flash + R + F5 + Q + click + W + Q + click + E + F5 etc.).

Poppy can't slam into stuff.
Veigar W hits pooled vlad but not nasus and morgana AoE.
Morgana can ult through vlad's pool.
Ezreal can ult from his original location after being grabbed and knocked-up by blitzcrank.
Trynd can R through a silence. (apparently this was a fix)
Sometimes game invites do not appear until 2min later. And sometimes when starting a premade, I never get put in champ select.
I would be surprised if LoL is out of Beta.
But it is mainstream, so who cares.

Nobody I know uses wireless keyboards, so it isn't that. That's one of the less important "bugs" though, if it even is a bug and isn't just user-error, which is entirely possible.

Quote:
Sokharis:
"I have never used a program or played a game as buggy, glitchy, inconsistent, and full of errors or overlooked discrepancies as League of Legends."

Stopped reading there. A long and doubtlessly laboriously composed post that starts with irrational hyperbole eh? No thanks, I'll trust others to satisfy whatever the OP's needs for posting this really are.

Not a hyperbole, maybe you could explain why you think it's irrational?

Fistful of Force

06-03-2011

Errr, I think it's a fun game, so why not? Isn't the purpose of having a well rounded game be fun? Actually, some of the bugs are part of the fun.

Nunu's ult, anyone?

What I'm getting at is, well, it would be nice if all of those things you said were fixed. But overall, LoL is a fun game even without those things, and so it shouldn't be kept from the market just because it isn't perfect.

IHeartMiX

06-03-2011

Quote:
Demonicous:
Go program a better game with little $.... Go for it.... If its better then your argument is valid

When 400 million dollars is "little $" i'll answer your question...... APB was created for a little under 5 mil...... and it just broke record for most players to be logged in for a open beta.

http://apbreloaded.gamersfirst.com/

Your logic is broken..... But Logic is not the end to wisdom its only the start.

IHeartMiX

06-03-2011

Quote:
lolakai:
Mind you, they ARE polishing it slowly. This is Riot's first title, coming from a fledgling company that before the TenCent investment probably was just as big if not only a bit bigger than any indie developer out there.

You're not looking at Blizzard Entertainment, or Bioware, you're looking at a company that was founded very recently (in terms of age of serious game developers). They are, to this very day, are still actively hiring new people, which means that they are still growing yet.

This, while the several server lags, outages, and client bugs are still a problem, is a pretty **** fine piece of product. What's the goal of League of Legends? So you can log-on and play the game, as it was made, for fun. And as someone who plays around 10 hours a day, I can say that the negatives are minimal compared to the times that this game have bring me enjoyment.

From a Business stand-point, Riot Games's main goal probably was not a "we will only release this when it is completely polished and bug-free" which is more Blizzard style. Riot's goal was probably to make a break-through in a brand new genre, and be the first eye-catcher to grab all the fans. They had a semi-polished product that was playable and was fun, and they released it. Now they are immensely successful.

What's to stop you from thinking that behind the scene, they might be fixing the very core of the game engine, maybe rewriting chunks of codes to fix the current game. I mean, they do have a very big update coming for us with Season 2 (don't even deny it, because they will do it for business reasons).

I think Riot has pretty much achieve what they wanted to do as a company: produce a fun-filling title that's enticing to the general gaming public, and develop themselves into a solid gaming company. LoL no doubt has a bigger playerbase than HoN (face it, the only paid games that have bigger playerbase than free-to-play counterparts are WoW and maybe Guild Wars). Riot Games, in my eyes, is also a better company. Did you see the whole fiasco with S2 having to limit posting on their forums to a selected group of employees, and announcing that they will be heavily censoring criticisms?

As for "buggier" games. I've participated in betas for "big" titles from indie developers like Darkfall, Craft of Gods, Mortal Online, etc.., and let me tell you, those games were buggy as hell when they came out, and right now they're probably not in a state you can call "very polished" yet. Darkfall, especially, spent 7-9 years in development.

Riot games=Made in china......

lolakai

06-03-2011

Quote:
IHeartMilfsX:
When 400 million dollars is "little $" i'll answer your question...... APB was created for a little under 5 mil...... and it just broke record for most players to be logged in for a open beta.

http://apbreloaded.gamersfirst.com/

Your logic is broken..... But Logic is not the end to wisdom its only the start.

I wasn't aware that Riot receives $400 million back in 2006 when they were founded and developments began on League of Legends?

Can you link me?

lolakai

06-03-2011

Quote:
IHeartMilfsX:
Riot games=Made in china......

Last I checked, their main and only office was in California.

ViciousFenrir

06-03-2011

These problems don't seem to occur nearly enough for it to become a bother to me. League is highly enjoyable to myself and a few bugs are not going to change that. Some things you mention have just become small quirks that are now part of the game that you must get used to. Akin to a BXR in Halo 2 becoming a well known and widely used attribute of the game. It may have not been meant to be part of the game, but it's something everyone has to get used to and be prepared for.

MajorKite

06-03-2011

I'm sure these bugs are on the radar at Riot but would either take a very long time to fix or just aren't that imporatant to spend the amount of research to find the problems.